• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm headed to Harbor Freight tonight to buy one.

My son has a Boy Scout project to get his family life merit badge. A personal project and he decided to restore his old red wagon. It's rusted badly and needs to be blasted. Now isn't that a good reason to get one ? It's not like I don't have dozens of things to blast myself. : )

And it was the wife's idea to get one.

HF has a 110lb one on sale for $129 and with another coupon they are offering it @ $99.

I'm not a HF kinda guy for tools, but for the amount I'll end up using it, I think it will be ok. http://www.harborfre... IjoiODkzNSJ9

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364918305.219652.jpg

Anyone have or use one ? The reviews on it aren't bad, and a few offer suggestions on how to improve it.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Ken,

That is the same blaster we have. It does work pretty good but if you get a chance get a deadman valve for it as the ball valve nozzle kind of sucks and after using it for a little bit it will leak and the hose will get clogged with sand until you purge it. Other than that I can't complain. I haven't bought a new valve for ours yet but plan to here before long now that the weather is getting nicer.

• NJKen said thank you

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:37 AM

I just ordered it online. $6.99 shipping can't be beat. It would have cost me twice as much in fuel and 2-3 hours of my time.
I also saved $$ another way. Cause there is no way I can just go buy one thing. Lol

George, what kinda media do you use ? I've seen in the reviews that very dry play sand works fine.

Edited by NJKen, April 02, 2013 - 11:38 AM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Get a good respirator and hood! Do not risk those young lungs and eyes! I do not let my son do the sandblasting with a pressure blaster because it can mess you up even with a good resperator and hood. You might be better off building an electrolysis tank and doing it that way. Check the threads on it. It will be about the same cost(tank and battery charger) but is safer and wont do further damage to the metal.

Good Luck with the Scouting. If you can, be one of the Dads that goes to camp. It is a great time for the boys and even better for the Dads. My son made Eagle two years ago. It is a great accomplishment and it opens doors for him in the future.

Edited by boyscout862, April 02, 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Good luck Ken.  I have a few projects I'd like to get a blaster for, but haven't pulled the pin yet.  I'll be watching to see how you like yours.

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Just curious about your compressors for those who have one of these. I t showes in the specs that it uses from 6 - 25 psi of pressure to operate correctly. I have have a 30 gal that only puts out 11psi.. Will this operate the blaster properly? Thanks. Roger.

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:54 AM

OOPS! I meant CFM not PSI. Sorry.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:56 AM

I just ordered it online. $6.99 shipping can't be beat. It would have cost me twice as much in fuel and 2-3 hours of my time.
I also saved $$ another way. Cause there is no way I can just go buy one thing. Lol

George, what kinda media do you use ? I've seen in the reviews that very dry play sand works fine.

Ken,

I don't know if I would use play sand. It would probably work if you were able to get it dry enough. We sell sandblasting media here at my work and I buy it by the 100 lb bag. 

• hamman said thank you

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just curious about your compressors for those who have one of these. I t showes in the specs that it uses from 6 - 25 psi of pressure to operate correctly. I have have a 30 gal that only puts out 11psi.. Will this operate the blaster properly? Thanks. Roger.

It will work but you will only be able to blast for a couple minutes before you start loosing air. You will feel the pressure dropping. If you let the pressure get too low than you go through more sand to do the same amount of work if you had higher pressure. Just take many breaks to let the compressor catch up and cool off.

• hamman said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 12:41 PM

What's exactly is an air compressor?   :rolling:  (old running joke)  Yep, the bigger the better with compressors & blasting.  Mine is about 12cfm & I do a lot of waiting.  If your compressor is an oil-less type, I don't recommend using it at all for blasting.  Duty cycles are short & you can ruin the pump.  Don't ask me how I know!

• hamman said thank you

#11 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:05 PM

10.2 CFM @ 90 PSI ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364925740.671036.jpg

I don't have this one hooked up YET but I know it works. Got it from a guy who did some machine shop work last year on my bob cat. It was his back up for years, but went with a much bigger one he got a great deal on. He ran it before i bought it. I bought this one for $200.

It's 220 volt only. Guess I'll have to call an electrician to wire it up for me. : )

Edited by NJKen, April 02, 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#12 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Get a good respirator and hood! Do not risk those young lungs and eyes! I do not let my son do the sandblasting with a pressure blaster because it can mess you up even with a good resperator and hood. You might be better off building an electrolysis tank and doing it that way. Check the threads on it. It will be about the same cost(tank and battery charger) but is safer and wont do further damage to the metal.

Good Luck with the Scouting. If you can, be one of the Dads that goes to camp. It is a great time for the boys and even better for the Dads. My son made Eagle two years ago. It is a great accomplishment and it opens doors for him in the future.

Chances are, he won't be operating it. He can do everything else.

I know all about the hood and respirators, back in the late 80's I used to sandblast commercial swimming pools to prepare for paint or plaster. I had a pool service company, we subbed out the sandblasting the first year, then after that we did it. Huge pot, huge compressor 180 CFM if I remember correctly, we rented them by the month.

He has been a Boy Scout for less then a year and he's already 1st class. He loves it and try's very hard. I do go with him often, but the camping in a tent thing is over for this guy. The wife often goes as a chaperone, she's not crazy about tents either, but she's much younger then I. Lol

I have no doubt in my mind, he will make Eagle. He is determined too. .
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:40 PM

10.2 CFM @ 90 PSI attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1364925740.671036.jpg

I don't have this one hooked up YET but I know it works. 
It's 220 volt only. Guess I'll have to call an electrician to wire it up for me. : )

Good luck finding a qualified electrician.  I hear they are hard to find in Joisy!   :smilewink:

• NJKen said thank you

#14 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:26 PM

10.2 CFM @ 90 PSI ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364925740.671036.jpg

I don't have this one hooked up YET but I know it works.

Good luck finding a qualified electrician. I hear they are hard to find in Joisy! :smilewink:
After playing with it a few hours, I got it hooked up and running. That electric stuff sure is confusing. : )

Well, I maybe buying a new pump, seems this one runs good untill it gets to 120lb in the tank. Then it seems like oil is blowing by the rings and smokes.

The guy I bought it from was honest and said it might need new rings. Trouble is NLA part # at sears parts and a few other AC parts sites.

When I googled the model # 919.184191 I found some bad reviews on it. Might be best just to get a new pump, hopefully I can find something close with little work or parts to change it out. Here are pics of the pump. Look familiar to anyone ? I know it's not made by sears. Not sure who makes this type pump. Single stage 2 cylinder.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364963169.773024.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364963183.070059.jpg

Edited by NJKen, April 02, 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:54 AM

That stinks you can't get rings from Sears , maybe in the long run your better off getting a good compressor for it