• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Has anyone ever seen this done before ? The tiller extension kit added to both sides ? I've had this one for years, but never used it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364916334.058852.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364916352.655906.jpg

Edited by NUTNDUN, April 02, 2013 - 11:25 AM.

• OldBuzzard and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yea Ken i have one here just like it. You just dont see them often done like that at most just one extension on it. I also belive wilberj has one that way.

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I was going to do that to a tubeframe one But i would have less seat time XD also it would put Alot of extra stress on the Tiller unit

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Never seen it on a largeframe but I have seen it done to one of the Tube Frame tillers I acquired.

The Service bulletins Bolens sent out seemed pretty serious about NOT encouraging Tine extensions to be used for primarily tilling but rather just used for light cultivating.

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Never seen it on a largeframe but I have seen it done to one of the Tube Frame tillers I acquired.

The Service bulletins Bolens sent out seemed pretty serious about NOT encouraging Tine extensions to be used for primarily tilling but rather just used for light cultivating.

That is what I was wondering. One extension adds more strain on everything, and two would even double that. Not sure how it would do in hard soil conditions.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 09:43 PM

That is what I was wondering. One extension adds more strain on everything, and two would even double that. Not sure how it would do in hard soil conditions.

I made a garden with one.... 4 hours later it was done.

Next time I will use a shorter tiller so I can take more of a cut the wide tiller did not like to sink in at all.

By the way its on the back of the 1476 we have.

#7 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I tried one like that behind a 1250 I used to have years ago, it worked fine on existing garden space but forget it for breaking fresh ground. It also took just as long as a narrower tiller since I had to go slower to get good results. Maybe it would be better with more HP or more weight. I run a 1250 with a tiller and single extension now that does fine, but feel its at its limit in hard packed ground.
It rips through already worked ground though.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 10:38 AM

I bet that would make the single cyl LFs strain a bit, but sure would be nice behind an HT23 or one of the diesels.

Even then I don't think I'd want to try it on anything that wasn't already plowed and/or disked.

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I bet that would make the single cyl LFs strain a bit, but sure would be nice behind an HT23 or one of the diesels.

Even then I don't think I'd want to try it on anything that wasn't already plowed and/or disked.

The 1476 with the wide tiller we have was doing fine with it.