4 replies to this topic

#1 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am still working on the Ford LGT 165 with a Kohler H341 that had the stuck valve and it has a big time oil leak at the front of the engine I think it is behind the electric pto clutch. My question is can that crankcase oil seal be replaced with tearing the engine down.A mechanic told me it has so much blow by it will blow the dip stick out, I have another Lgt 165 with the same engine and there is something in the dipstick tub that seems to help hold it in. I am going ti see if I can find 1 of those and if I can change that seal I will be ok. the engine runs good and no smoke out the exhaust so I may be able to fix it myself.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:30 PM

If it's got that much "blow by" a seal is going to do you no good.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:43 PM

If it's got that much "blow by" a seal is going to do you no good.

what has me thinking this way is the other tractor I checked the oil when I first got it and did not get the dip dipstick seated good and it blew out,and that engine smokes when you first start it, I see no other sign of blow by,but I am not a mechanic either

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I am still working on the Ford LGT 165 with a Kohler H341 that had the stuck valve and it has a big time oil leak at the front of the engine I think it is behind the electric pto clutch. My question is can that crankcase oil seal be replaced with tearing the engine down.A mechanic told me it has so much blow by it will blow the dip stick out, I have another Lgt 165 with the same engine and there is something in the dipstick tub that seems to help hold it in. I am going ti see if I can find 1 of those and if I can change that seal I will be ok. the engine runs good and no smoke out the exhaust so I may be able to fix it myself.

Yes,you can replace the front crankcase seal with the engine together. Just find something(I used a piece of wire) to pry the old seal out and then install the new one to the correct depth. Quite easy to do,actually.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#5 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 11:34 PM

I would say your problem is the crankcase breather by the valves. If that becomes pluged, the piston becomes like an air compressor and builds pressure in the crank case unitil it either blows out the seals or it blows out the dip stick.

• Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks