• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Okay, so I see people out risking their corn fields but behind the disc they pull a packer... Is this to break up chunks of dirt? I've seen people pull coil packers behind chisel plows?!?!
If you pack what you just worked up, won't the weeds your trying to kill just keep growing?

#2 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yes, it is a called a Cultipacker and it breaks up the clods and slightly compacts with valleys and ridges to help keep the soil from washing away and to help hold in moisture.. :D

• Jordan9682 said thank you

#3 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 02:44 PM

But don't weeds not die then?

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Using a Plow  disc harrow and then cultivators to kill weeds is ancient practice in these days. it was the common way of doing things in the 60's. When I was young.

Then came No-Till farming. It is a low impact method that only tills the rows where the crop is planted and leaves refuse to decay between the rows. It reduced erosion and trips across the field.

As far as controlling weeds that is done with herbicides and fertilizers are plowed into the rows as well.  Chemicals have taken the place of labor.

I'm not about to get into which method is better or pointing out the flaws in either method. It is just the way it is. 

Let's just say I don't use no-till practices in my garden or on my place.  Maybe it's just Nostalgia?  But mostly I garden to keep chemicals out of my food and that of my family. It's an expensive hobby but I enjoy it .

• Robert Webb and Jordan9682 have said thanks