14 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Has anyone noticed the randomly wrong dates in threads?

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1364826089043.jpg

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:31 AM

On my phone i get the odd email from 1969.. 

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ya, and they keep telling me computers never make a mistake and that we should trust our hard earned money to these little electrons in space...hmmm When people screw up dates that far off they tell us it Alzheimers.

I think that is why I enjoy things I can get my hands on hand repair/rebuild that aren't full of little black boxes that are supposed to do everything for us.

Do you know they are pushing us at work to let our smart phones report directly to our health insurance company on how many steps we take each day so to prove we staying active??? Ya, I'm gonna trust that, they can get the Dr's report for the physical they demand already each year. :(

• boyscout862, superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Ya, and they keep telling me computers never make a mistake and that we should trust our hard earned money to these little electrons in space...hmmm When people screw up dates that far off they tell us it Alzheimers.

I think that is why I enjoy things I can get my hands on hand repair/rebuild that aren't full of little black boxes that are supposed to do everything for us.

You're right.   Example at hand: there's no fun in automotive repair just because all you have to do is plug in the diagnostic tool and it tells you what to do.  I stick with old machinery just because there's still a challenge of diagnosing the problem. 

Ben W.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:15 AM

You're right.   Example at hand: there's no fun in automotive repair just because all you have to do is plug in the diagnostic tool and it tells you what to do.  I stick with old machinery just because there's still a challenge of diagnosing the problem. 

Ben W.

The diagnostics should make it easier, faster and cheaper to get your car repaired Ben. However the opposite seems to be true. It seems there is no replacement for experience when it comes to fixing something as complex as a modern car.  They now charge up to 100+/hr and even with the OBD they seem to screw up the diagnosis more often than not. I think the auto industry has used this technology to increase their profits from service and not to provide better service to the customer. 

• HowardsMF155, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:32 AM

The diagnostics should make it easier, faster and cheaper to get your car repaired Ben. However the opposite seems to be true. It seems there is no replacement for experience when it comes to fixing something as complex as a modern car.  They now charge up to 100+/hr and even with the OBD they seem to screw up the diagnosis more often than not. I think the auto industry has used this technology to increase their profits from service and not to provide better service to the customer. 

That's exactly what I've found, Brian.  It's a shame that we are going that way.  Originally, I was hoping the diagnostic tools would end up saving labor time, and provide "unerring" solutions.  Instead, we just assume the diagnostic tool is right and throw parts at the vehicle.  When its the wrong part, hit the customer with the bill and ask to try again.  I've been on the customer side of the desk when that happens.

I wish the diagnostic tools could have been used as a tool, not the solution.  They were designed well, with great intentions.  You just have to have a real mechanic sitting behind the computer!!!

Ben W.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:38 AM

There are still some honest shops out there with mechanics who know their stuff and can use the OBD but it's hard to find them and it's very hard for an independent shop to keep up with all the changes that occur in new models. The model cycle times seem to be getting shorter since the Korean manufacturers started putting pressure on the industry by improving products very quickly.  

• superaben said thank you

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Back to the OP's comments. I've not seen the odd dates but there is an annoying fruit fly that is showing up on my screen when I'm on GTT.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 01:02 PM

see...

Untitled.jpg

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Back to the OP's comments. I've not seen the odd dates but there is an annoying fruit fly that is showing up on my screen when I'm on GTT.

Yep, goofy dates, phone messages from way back (none from the future yet), avatars are upside down, columns instead of rows, it is April "ONE" after all. I've seen the fly before too, but when I'm at school we assume the Biology Dept dropped a tube in the genetics lab :wave:  Dates are only important to bill collectors, so life goes on and you just pray all the machines behave while they are operating on your person. Once your stitched up and on your way home then you can pray that the machines all mess up in the billing dept. and they forget where you live :bigrofl:

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:34 PM

On my phone i get the odd email from 1969..

I get 1969 emails intermittently from one sender. Is this a known problem?

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:48 PM

i dont get random text spam email drives me nuts though

#13 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I have been working on computer networks for quite a while, if people really understood how fragile these systems were they would worry. Problem is, our economy is completely dependent on them now.
  • twostep said thank you

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:24 PM

i dont get random text spam email drives me nuts though

:poke:  :smilewink: 

#15 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I get 1969 emails intermittently from one sender. Is this a known problem?

Not that i know of.. I tell my wife it's my past coming back to haunt me..