• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Does anyone know if a harrow would work well for seeding through tilled soil. I am thinking
Disc 1st to soften the ground and kill weeds, 2nd broadcast my seed (cereal crops, wheat, barley, oats etc), 3rd harrow to bury it (my target depth is about 1-1 1/2" for cereal crops, based on my area) finally 4th, pack it with a coil packer or something similar (I don't want to use a cultipacker because that would pulverize my land to dust.

Will this work?
Thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:38 AM

My answer is: Dad tried something along these lines when I was young.  He used the same broadcast spreader that we used for fertilizer, then disced the seed in.  I remember that he was not happy with the results, felt that some areas did not have enough plants, some had too many.  He never repeated that method.

Now, that is just my experience.  The basic answer is that you will cover the seed and it will probably germinate.  You just may not be happy with the result.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:43 AM

If your talking about a Spike tooth Harrow yes it will work. When I moved into my place everything but the yard had been cornfield.  A Spike Tooth is what we used when sowing oats when I was a kid.

I shredded the corn stalks with my GT and sowed Dutch White Clover. Using my 318 John Deere and pulled a 4 ft section of tooth Harrow and got a good stand.  I honsetly believe a cultipacker will do a better job. But Spike Tooth Harrows were used for decades before a Cultipacker was ever thought of.

If your talking about a Disc Harrow, I think it will bury the seed too deep and cause Germination problems.

If you only have a Disc Harrow I would reccomend you find a piece of Chain link fence or an old set of bed Springs to drag. You only need to cover the seed so the birds don't eat it before it germinates.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 01, 2013 - 10:01 AM.

• Alc and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think your plan will work well even without the final step of the packer of some sort.

I agree with JD Daniel, you don't want to bury your seed too deep with a disc harrow (although I don't think that was what your plan was) but you want to get it in just a little bit, so a spike or chain harrow would work.

I've also dragged an old tire over a seeded area to help "rub it in" a little bit.  But that works best for yard grass. 

Let us know what works for you.

Ben W.

• Jordan9682 said thank you

#5 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, I should have specified, I have spike harrows that I will probably use, also have diamond harrows. Would they work better? Worse? Same?

The only thing I've ever seeded with a harrow was some rye where my barn used to be, but it was too dry for much of it to even germinate, around the edges it came up good though, it should come up this spring after the snow bank over it has melted.

It's a learning expirience I guess, try the harrow (spike tooth or diamond :) ) and if I'm disappointed I'll find a different way of doing it, I just figured it would be easier to be able to just harrow it in, rather than make a type of drill

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I don't think it will make much difference between the Spike and the diamond harrow.

You mention a Drill and that would be best of all for sure.

They are hard to find around here anymore. There used to be a couple in every junk pile on every farm.

But Scrap prices have Scrappers cleaning up alll the farms and the Good Junk is getting hard to come by.

That's Sad because I could sure use some good junk!

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 01, 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• Alc and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#7 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Speaking of junk, here's my spreader and my spike harrow.

Spreader. It was a small push spreader, but I made a "makeshift" hitch for it so i can pull it behind my atv/garden tractor. It's only about 2' wide, so it won't cover the acres fast, but it'll do the job

Harrow. I don't have a chain on right now, but that's what I've been pulling it with. As you can see, I have taken spikes from the front row, which didnt do to much because I pull from it, and I can now add two cinder blocks for weight if i need to. It's surprising how much of a difference the two blocks make on there. The harrow is around 5' which is a good size for the quad

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't think it will make much difference between the Spike and the diamond harrow.
You mention a Drill and that would be best of all for sure.
They are hard to find around here anymore. There used to be a couple in every junk pile on every farm.
But Scrap prices have Scrappers cleaning up alll the farms and the Good Junk is getting hard to come by.
That's Sad because I could sure use some good junk!

The diamond harrow's teeth are straight up and down, but the spike tooth harrow's are on abit of an angle. So would the spike tooth handle a little more straw?

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 12:38 PM

The answer to this question is a Definite Maybe(Ha, not much Help Huh?) . If you have a lot of refuse I think any Harrow is going to clog and load up with junk.

My Harrows have an adjustment lever that allows you to set the angle of the teeth to make it more or less agressive but it will still clog in heavy junk. I'll Try to get a picture of it tonight. I think it is an old Horse drawn unit and I have 3 sections(only pull 1 but could probably pull two with my Ford 1500). It has a rod drawbar on it.

Back in the late 60's I remember seeing Ray  Roush(The Farmer who farmed this place and subdivided it in 1968) pull all 4 sections on a pipe drawbar with an H Farmall. I do know I have loaned mine to my Neighbor and he had good luck pulling it with his Polaris ATV.

The diamond harrow's teeth are straight up and down, but the spike tooth harrow's are on abit of an angle. So would the spike tooth handle a little more straw?

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 01, 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#10 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I guess to get the best answer, I could simply take them out into a field and...you know.. Try them.

But most of my fields are still covered in snow, I could try my spike in my calving pasture where there's exposed, thawed ground

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Here is the harrow I use.  the pipe drawbar was long enough to hitch 4 sections and the rods all went to center to pull straight. I cut the drawbar down to use for each section.   There is a ring on the end of the tug rod that  fits in a clevis.

If I wanted to pull two it would not be difficult to join two. I'm still debating between that and building a lift frame for the 3 point hitch.

There are a number of notches that allow me to set the angle of the teeth.

photo6_zpsc5ffc7eb.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 01, 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#12 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:36 PM

JD DANNELS,
Do you still seed things with the harrow? Or have you found better ways?

#13 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 06:20 AM

I think you will do fine whichever way you do it.  Cereals are forgiving.  Last summer I plowed 1/3 acre, smoothed it with a spring tooth harrow, and broadcast winter wheat.  I used the spring tooth harrow set shallow to cover it, and I had my daughter drive the other tractor pulling the wagon pack it down.

I seeded much heavier than needed, thinking I needed to.  I used 100 pounds of seed for 1/3 acre.  I am sure 50 pounds would have been fine.

Here is a picture I google imaged, I have plenty of used tires to make this.

Attached Thumbnails

• tire%u00252Bdrag.jpg

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I still use the harrow regularly. I am making headway in the tillage methods. When I sowed the clover I only Had the JD 318, Harrow and a pull behind seeder for the GT. I harrowed the ground very heavily and sowed the seed, and harrowed again.

Now I have a Ford 1500(Compact Tractor) and a 48" tiller. And am working on building a Hiller Bedder(for the Garden). It is taking some time, but eventually I'll get the implements I want/need for the Tractor. I often use the Harrow on my 1/4 mile gravel Lane too.

JD DANNELS,
Do you still seed things with the harrow? Or have you found better ways?

#15 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Well I can't wait to get at it.
Thanks for all the input :D