Shredded my primary belt this summer so made it my winter project. Disassembled and learned that there is a friction wheel that rubs against the outside of the drive belt when you pull the lever back for reverse. This wheel over time had worn down to the point where the two pulleys were grinding against each other... which caused the belt to shred. So, the challenge to make a new one began.
First of all, I had to determine what the old wheel was made out of, then decide what material to make a new one from. The original is laminated paper, like used for gaskets. Not easy to find 1/2 inch thick laminated paper. So after discussing with my dad and several friends, we decided to use Micarta, which is actually a laminated paper mesh. Below are some pics.
This mower goes backwards better than ever!! Used a hole saw for the inside and outside diameter, pressed it on with my arbour press, then after bolting to the shaft and started the mower, I turned it down slightly to the perfect outside diameter.