• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 callacra OFFLINE  

callacra

• Member No: 1331
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hello to one and all. I need to pick your collective brains on selecting a replacement lawn tractor for my old craftsman. My old tractor did me well mowing my small 3 acre spread but the p220 is getting tired, running on one cylinder,using oil, not charging the battery and leaving a foot wide streak of partially mowed grass. This is not to say the engine won't be kept for a winter rebuild for some other use.
I'm not thrilled about the new plastic "toy", as I see them lawn and garden tractors out there to buy in the stores so I would rather turn to some older iron as a replacement. I'm looking at a JD because the older ones are unarguably good units. I would like the option of a front loader at some point but realize I can't base my decision solely on that because "wants" now sometime never materialze. My delema is which model to hone in on. :wallbanging:

I'll look forward to all your collective input. Thanks in advance.

Craig C.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 10:16 AM

As you mentioned JD is one to look at.
Also consider Massey Ferguson, Snapper, Simplicity, Wheel Horse, and IH Cub and Cub Cadets. All these where well built and solid tractors.
There are more out there for sure.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 11:09 AM

I would look toward diesel power myself. MUCH less fuel usage, plus run forever if cared for. JD is hard to beat for parts availability, as well as IH. IH built some diesel Cadets, then JD has several. 3 acres is a good bit to care for, so I'd go with a larger tractor, like a sub compact possibly. Kubota also has some awesome tractors.

#4 callacra OFFLINE  

callacra

• Member No: 1331
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Anyone have suggestions on JD models to look at or avoid?

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:28 PM

Not an expert on JD's but you cant go wrong with a 318 IMO

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:32 PM

If wanting to stay with gasoline, the 318 is a great machine. But if you can afford a step higher, go for a diesel 430....super tractor! To stay a bit smaller, in the 318 size range, but diesel, the 332 is a superb machine also. And this is coming from a "Red" machine guy.

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 10:40 PM

If wanting to stay with gasoline, the 318 is a great machine. But if you can afford a step higher, go for a diesel 430....super tractor! To stay a bit smaller, in the 318 size range, but diesel, the 332 is a superb machine also. And this is coming from a "Red" machine guy.

:ditto:

The 430 is a great tractor i have had several of them love the diesel.The 318 is also a good unit and a dime a dozen.But i prefer my bolens

#8 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted October 11, 2010 - 05:52 AM

My old tractor did me well mowing my small 3 acre spread but the p220 is getting tired, running on one cylinder,using oil, not charging the battery and leaving a foot wide streak of partially mowed grass. This is not to say the engine won't be kept for a winter rebuild for some other use.
Craig C.

What you haven't told us is how much money you have budgeted for this quest. You also need to tell us what you do or would like to do with this tractor. You mentioned caring for 3 acres. If you are mowing a full three acres, then you likely would be unhappy with a FEL. Would you like a snowblower, a tiller, a plow, a lawn vacuum? How about a log splitter? Perhaps not right away but somewhere down the line?

How mechanical are you? The symptoms you describe regarding your current mower can all be remedied with a little work. The P220 is agreat engine. While the parts are a little bit expensive, 2000+ hours on a rebuild is easily attainable with proper care.

When you are buying a used tractor with an undetermined number of hours, you are often buying the same issues you have described regarding your tractor.

All of the suggestions made regarding brands have merit, but does that tractor meet your needs now or in the future.

I have attached an ad for a JD since you seem to be leaning toward Green. This is an example of a low cost JD that will need some attention. After you answer the above questions, I think we will be in a better position to offer advice...Jack http://detroit.craig...1999531864.html

Edited by olcowhand, October 11, 2010 - 09:01 AM.
repaired the quote

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 11, 2010 - 10:36 PM

John Deere 430 diesel 60" deck

#10 jdfan OFFLINE  

jdfan

• Member No: 1365
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 09:14 AM

I also think a 318 is a great tractor. If you want to go the diesel route, a 332 or 430 are great machines as well.

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:59 PM

Well, I am a JD guy and here is my list. If you weren't talking about a loader, I would say a 214 or 216 is a good choice. Since you are I would say 300, 314, 316, 317, 318, 330, 332, 400, 420 or 430. Watch out for the series one K17 motor in the 317's. Other than that you can't go wrong you just need to decide what you want to spend and what you ultimately really want to do with it. With all that being said, I say go for a good deal. Forget color, make, model get the tractor that fits your needs at the best price. If I had seen a Cub at the right price with the right equipment a while ago I might be a Cubby fan. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Thomas Desloge said thank you

#12 tomlepage OFFLINE  

tomlepage

• Member No: 2118
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 06:04 PM

you might even want to look at a good used sub compact utility tractor. They can be had with a loader for less than 8gr.