• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Good Stuff Kenny now you got both and looks like an easy switch from 1 to another

Only a couple minutes, Doug!

You're gonna want to make sure you put your tailgate up before

you leave, or you'll wreck it on that jack post.

I know, Will. Had to move the jack forward so the box would fit.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Looks good Kenny, glad the switch out is easy.

BTW, when you do the weigh box, make it easy to remove. .. No Pwr Steering.
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Looks good Kenny, glad the switch out is easy.

BTW, when you do the weigh box, make it easy to remove. .. No Pwr Steering.

You are right there, Alan. It was tough steering with that 100 lb blade up there. But some lube helped. The front box is going on the original blade mount. Just a matter of taking out some of the weight and remove 2  pins to take it off. Here's a link to post # 50 that shows the brackets bolted on for now! I haven't gotten any further with it as yet as I'm not sure how much I want to put in there. I have found some small pieces of expanded metal for filling the bottom and sides. It's all still in thought stage for now. I still want to try to make front wheel weights. I will see how much that adds before I finish the box. May not need much up there then.

#19 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Kenny, build a frame for the 3 point to mount your sleeve stuff to and do so in such a manner as to keep it as close to the tractor as possible. You will never go back to sleeve style hitch again , you will just use your 3 point for everything.( Also will make rigging up 2 sleeve hitch plows very easy too) .

Edited by skyrydr2, April 01, 2013 - 05:32 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Nice hitch Kenny :thumbs:   Will that work with the 60's style Sears 3 point attachments or just cat."O" ?

• KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Kenny, build a frame for the 3 point to mount your sleeve stuff to and do so in such a manner as to keep it as close to the tractor as possible. You will never go back to sleeve style hitch again , you will just use your 3 point for everything.( Also will make rigging up 2 sleeve hitch plows very easy too) .

Keith, I plan to make that adapter before too awful long.

Nice hitch Kenny :thumbs:   Will that work with the 60's style Sears 3 point attachments or just cat."O" ?

This is more Cat 0. The arms won't come close enough together for the 60's Sears 3-point implements to hook up.

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:49 AM

This is more Cat 0. The arms won't come close enough together for the 60's Sears 3-point implements to hook up.

Kenny any chance you could swap the offset arms side to side to get them closer for the old style attachments  if you ever get a good deal on some  of thoses  ?  Not sure of your area but I've seen some of the Sears stuff around here at swap meets & cl  Be nice to be able to use either ones

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Kenny any chance you could swap the offset arms side to side to get them closer for the old style attachments  if you ever get a good deal on some  of thoses  ?  Not sure of your area but I've seen some of the Sears stuff around here at swap meets & cl  Be nice to be able to use either ones

Didn't think of that, Al. I have an 8" Sears 3-point plow, but it's a bit small for the FF. LOL It's the one I want to make as a two bottom 8" once I find another. I haven't seen very many early Sears attachments around, but haven't been looking very hard. Just getting the hitch has opened up a whole new world for attachments. I need some time to think of all the possibilities. So I do appreciate all you guys are offering here. Many options to consider!

Also, the way the lift links attach to the lower arms, I won't need the cross chains. The arms won't come close to the tires in any way. That's a plus.

Edited by KennyP, April 01, 2013 - 06:10 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:22 AM

That 3pt looks great Kenny!  Now you have a backup plow tractor,....just in case!

• KennyP said thank you

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:48 AM

That 3pt looks great Kenny!  Now you have a backup plow tractor,....just in case!

I'll get it prettied up. Right now, too much other stuff to get real involved with tractor projects. But I have it, that's the best part. And time to think about what to do next.

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Kenny, great to see you getting a real three point on the FF.  I'm curious about the twin 8 inch plow build.  Aside from the fact that it is VERY cool to see one behind a tractor, why are you looking to do it?  Has anyone every taken a full size plow and converted it to garden tractor use by removing all but one head?  I'd think  a larger 14 or 16 inch plow would give you width AND better depth for plowing.

Again, twin 8 inch plow-WAY COOL!

Practically though, why not just a full size plow?

• KennyP said thank you

#27 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Kenny, congratulations on finding that three point hitch.  I will always check with out sponsors first when looking for things I really want.  

It looks great on the FF.  

• KennyP said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Kenny, great to see you getting a real three point on the FF.  I'm curious about the twin 8 inch plow build.  Aside from the fact that it is VERY cool to see one behind a tractor, why are you looking to do it?  Has anyone every taken a full size plow and converted it to garden tractor use by removing all but one head?  I'd think  a larger 14 or 16 inch plow would give you width AND better depth for plowing.

Again, twin 8 inch plow-WAY COOL!

Practically though, why not just a full size plow?

I have a 10" plow. Just thought a 2-bottom would have that 'neat' factor. If I can find something else 'cheap', I'll go for that. I got to thinking about the 8" plow and my 12" wide tires. Wouldn't fit in the furrow too well. If someone is close, I might make them a heck of a deal on a Sears 8" 3-point plow.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I checked the chance of inverting the arms. Still won't work for the Sears plow. Too close together! If I had a set of lower arms from an older Sears 3-Point, I might make it work. All I have is one. But, I could build another!!!!!

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,442 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:26 AM

I got some paint on the parts I need for now. I'll do the rest of it when I paint the rest of the tractor. The swivels on the lower arms will get some anti-seize, along with the threads on the links.Image001.jpg

This is the lift rod. If you look at the clevis on the left you can see how much float is built into the lift. This equates to a whole bunch at the 3-point or sleeve hitch.

Image002.jpg     Image003.jpg

I am going to try something here on the rod between the 2 clevis'. A 3/8" IP will go over this rod. I plan to get a length of that and a sturdy compression spring that fits fairly well. That will take out the 4+" of 'free' float. I plan to leave a 1/2" 'free' float before the compression spring comes into being used. I'll still have some float that way, just not so much. The length of the compression spring will determine the total amount of float. I think this will help with plowing and box blade use.

EDIT: Center link pic is in post #33. Forgot it here!

Edited by KennyP, April 03, 2013 - 07:20 AM.
Added Comment

• Alc said thank you