Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I feel I had a Mr. mybigwarwagon day today. I was planning on mowing the grass, and some BBQ this evening. Got up, fixed coffee and watched some toons with the grandson. As soon as I heard the neighbor out on his travel cart I fueled the push mower (really need a better name than Hinz-57), moved all the items nextto the house, sheds, fence and proceeded to mow around all the fence and house edges. Hinz performed well. Went to fuel RED, and found my gas can empty, So I cleaned up and went to town to get gas, and fuel the Truck. 

While I was moving things back to where I just cut my Son drives up in "Lightning McQueen" Dad! look what I bought!, Great gas mileage, better than the Dodge Intrepid (that I just sunk $2000 into). Well, after some scolding (what can you say to a 32 Year Old????) I gave in and looked at the scate board.

2-1/2 Qts low on oil (Did you check the oil before you bought it?) No, was I supposed to?

1/2 Gallon low on coolent, I didn't bother to ask.

Clutch is soft, but not chattering, but the brakes were shot, well aparently the dealer knew this and threw in 4 sets of pads.

Dad paused his mowing duties and put new shoes on "Lightning" very grudginly.

Well it was getting around 3:00 and I finally was ready to go mowing on RED. I mowed through about 3/4 acre and hit a thick spot (over the septic) and Red died. I couldn't keep him running unless on full choke.

Drove to the shop, and pulled the hood and air filter. Sprayed carb cleaner in it, no help.

Pulled the carb, and sprayed carb cleaner, and air hosed, re installed, no help.

By now I am getting aggervated, and started thinking wether I need to install BMP's redone deck, or through the deck on Hulk II, while thinking of Hulk II I remembered the spare engine!

Pulled the carb off the spare engine, it uses an external pulse pump, so I pulled it too. Slaped all this on Red, and wouldn't even fire :mad2: . I guess I need to work on those now.

I finnaly took Red carb completely apart, seen some small particles floating in the boul. used carb cleaner again, removed the large nut over the main jet and blew everything out again. (I smell like a refinery by now). RE installed the carb and Red sprang back to life, so I was able to finishing mowing the back yard, and moved to the Front yard.

Once full darkness set in, I couldnt see far enough in advance to continue mowing (in 6th gear) so I resolved to leave the last 20 minuets of mowing till tomorrow.

What A day!

Attached Thumbnails

• Lightning McQueen.JPG
  • Dirty Carb.JPG
  • Possible doner.JPG
  • Pulse Pump.JPG
  • As far as I got.JPG

• MH81, LTD, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:15 PM

It is what it is til it changes to somethin else. And hey, no bloodloss :thumbs:  

• MH81 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Larry,
Well, you made it thru.
The trade in was the car you just dumped a bunch of money into? Oh boy... Even at 32, I'd have been looking for soft spots to sit if I'd have pulled that one... :rolling: For darn sure, I'd have been working on the brakes by myself at least :smilewink: BUT... at least it's a nice looking skateboard

Thanks for letting us spend the day with you.
  • larrybl said thank you

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Larry,
Well, you made it thru.
The trade in was the car you just dumped a bunch of money into? Oh boy... Even at 32, I'd have been looking for soft spots to sit if I'd have pulled that one... :rolling: For darn sure, I'd have been working on the brakes by myself at least :smilewink: BUT... at least it's a nice looking skateboard

Thanks for letting us spend the day with you.

Didn't trade in the decrepid, I need it to pick up relitives at the airport this month. He gave me the Title, but I need to put insurance on it, and re new the regestration. I plan to sell it in May and try and get my money back.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I was more concerned with RED's Carb problem. My Son and his .... life .... just means more vehicle maintence for me. He just learned what a dip stick was, but still dosn't understand what it's for. :deadhorse:

• MH81 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like a full day, Larry! Hope it goes better today!

• larrybl said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Time to kick the son loose??? Take away his safety net.

• larrybl said thank you

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Maybe if you do buy a new hat your days will get better, like Uncle Willies........????  OK that might not be such a good idea, never mind.

:poke:

But really, I think we all have days like that, hope they get better for you.  Our son, at 33, is always wheeling and dealing on Craigslist.  More lemons than cherries, but at least he can do his own repairs, or just sell it off to the next guy.  

Edited by Michiganmobileman, March 31, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• larrybl and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Good story Larry..  Not quite mowing season yet in WNY though..  

Buuut it was an excellent weather yesterday here in WNY!   :dancingbanana:

Sunny & mid 40's led to a lot of outdoor activity and shop time!

Pulled the rear brakes off my wife's Blazer..  What a P-I-T-A those E-brakes are to get the rotors off!! :wallbanging:​  That job remains unfinished as the backing plates are disintegrated so I still need to drain the differential and pull the axles to replace them..  God bless NY-  the land of SALT!  Meanwhile the parts will be in this week sometime.. :tapping_fingers: 

Fired up the JD 425 after it's winter slumber and let it warm up a bit then grabbed the wheelbarrow and raked/shoveled up the parts of the driveway that got pushed to the lawn by the snowplow this winter..  :wallbanging:

Thennnn,  Got some seat time and rolled the lawn while things were still moist from the winter snow & frost..  

Our new neighbor was out & about so I stopped to chat for a bit and helped him with diagnosing what the problem is with his Sears GT 5000 tractor..  Looks like the PO had cobbled the wiring on the Clutch switch and there is also a dead mouse's tail hanging out of the engine shroud..  (My wife didn't want to remove it for us..  Yes-  we asked her!!) :rolling: 

So I will have a side job fixing the thing up for him in the near future..  If it takes time the 425 will step in and perform the task.. :firejumper:

Today will be all about what it should be..  The Lord and Easter dinner with family & friends..  I will try to at least get the pumpkin draining today on the blazer..  Time will tell..   :thumbs:

• larrybl, HDWildBill, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#10 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:14 AM

32 seems a little young to hit the red convertible sports car phase. :bigrofl:

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is that a Miata?  If so, my Niece's husband had one for years & he loved it.  He plain wore it out & was too expensive to repair....engine was toast.  He also didn't know what a dipstick was, even though he looked at one every morning in the mirror! LOL

My son is 32 and did his spin with "but Dad, it's the ultimate car/truck" thing.  Then went through a lot of money with 4 wheelers & dirt bikes. (he actually made profit on many though)  He has been turning the tide lately and is buckling down.  Maybe this "McQueen" car will be his last of such things & he too will turn his own tide.

• larrybl and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Larry, you son sounds like mine.  "Hey Dad Look what I got"  Then you start looking at it and say well did you check this or that.  But I can't really complain, he has a good job and he does pay for his part's. He just has never really had an interest in anything mechanical. 

• larrybl said thank you

#13 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Larry, you son sounds like mine.  "Hey Dad Look what I got"  Then you start looking at it and say well did you check this or that.  But I can't really complain, he has a good job and he does pay for his part's. He just has never really had an interest in anything mechanical. 

Yep, thats him to a T.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yep you need a hat. Everyone needs a hat.

Tell your son he bought a chick car and see if he gets rid of it. Keep riding him about his Barbie car. I will be hours of fun.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm thinking about starting a thread to see pictures of every bodies hats.

• larrybl said thank you