9 replies to this topic

#1 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Built myself a driveway grader and was asked to share. My gravel driveway is 150 to 200ft long, and goes downhill and every time there's a bad rain storm, it erodes gullies in it, big enough to lose a small car in them lol. so I was forced to build a gravel grader.

Couldn't afford to buy one so I went to the scrap yard & found the steel I needed for the frame and 3 point receiver, and got really fortunate and found a bucket of old safety S hooks. Fortunate cuz safety S hooks are all ready case hardened, and would work great to dig out the old gravel and bring it to the surface.

So first I straightened out the S hooks (no small feet mind you, vary case hardened lol) two torches and a 5ft cheater pipe and to people to straighten out the hooks. Never came across steel so hard to bend when glowing red hot. Then built the frame work, welded the straightened hooks onto the framework. Then built the 3 point receiver, Then last but not least built a back blade that I could lock in an up position and let it down easily enough not to through my shoulder out.I have a short video but I was unable to upload it. I also forgot to take B4 pic's of driveway gullies, sorry, got to trust me that they were there B4 I graded lol.

Ok KennyP was able to get some close up pic's today.IMAG0584.jpg Here's a pic of the old safety hooks I used, the reason I believe I found them in the scrap yard is that they are now illegal. IMAG0585.jpg I used a long arm bar to reduce the weight and pull on my shoulder, and it's just about right. IMAG0586.jpg Here it shows the grader in down position. I put a stopper on it so the grader doesn't drop below 2" below the tines,

IMAG0587.jpg Here it shows the handle and upper handle lock position. I cut the metal at an angle so when I'm pulling the handle up it will slide easily around up and into the upper lock position. Next pic is showing handle in upper position. IMAG0588.jpg

In this pic I show the side of the grader so you can see that I boxed the grader. I built my first one when I was 14yrs old and I just put a back blade on it, only to find out the gravel flows out of the sides where I didn't want it to go. Having sides the same height as back blade solved the problem, and contained the gravel.IMAG0589.jpg IMAG0590.jpg

Here I shoe the fulcrum, again making it easier to lift without throwing out my already bad shoulders. IMAG0591.jpg IMAG0592.jpg

These next Pic's is to just simply brag about my Uncle. Olcowhand. When he restored my MF for me he also personalized it for me. Putting a decal on both sides stating  Ron's Toy  IMAG0593.jpg He also took time to make me a staring wheel center piece that I keep in this velvet bag IMAG0594.jpg I keep it there because it is so nice I'm afraid it will get destroyed if I put it on the steering wheel. IMAG0595.jpg as you can see it's a beautiful piece. IMAG0596.jpg I pit it on the steering wheel just to take a pic of it, then I put it back in the bag. May be if I get to come to a plow day I'll install it for that weekend, but only then, once plow day is done back in the bag it goes lol

Edited by BaumBaum, March 31, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Looks good.

• Craig. said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Looks real good , both the driveway and grader :thumbs:

• Craig. said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Nice work. Its great when a new tool can save time and work. Even better when you build it yourself. Good Luck, Rick

• Craig. said thank you

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Looking good, grader, driveway and tractor. Nice job!
  • Craig. said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:01 PM

That is a neat design. I like how you can easily lift the grader and just use the teeth. Gives me ideas for the back blade I hope to build.

• Craig. said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I like that!  Don't think you ever sent me pics of that!  

• Craig. said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Nice looking unit it seems to work very well

• Craig. said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:08 AM

That is neat! Now you have me thinking again! :smilewink:  That would be very useful. Thanks for sharing. May ask for more pics (close ups of it). Looks easy to build. Wish I had a bunch of RR spikes!

• Craig. said thank you

#10 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 11:03 AM

That is neat! Now you have me thinking again! :smilewink:  That would be very useful. Thanks for sharing. May ask for more pics (close ups of it). Looks easy to build. Wish I had a bunch of RR spikes!

I'll try to get some more pic's this afternoon after I take the wife out for Easter.

• KennyP said thank you