OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I went down to East Central Ohio to pickup a tractor for 1967bolens collector.

Turned out to be a nice drive and for the very first time EVER for one of my tractor buying expeditions, not one drop of rain, not even a dark cloud.  I guess that the gods knew that it wasn't going to be MY tractor and they decided to smile on me :D :D :D

Anyhow, I was picking up a Bolens 1000 that Sam wanted and I think that he got a danged nice one.  It does have a few warts, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

The bad:  It's missing the freewheeling pin, and the casting that holds it is broken.  That's pretty common, but those show up on eBay from time to time, so it can be fixed.  The original choke and throttle cables were replaced, so he will have to address that, and the extra holes in the dash tower.  It will need some clutch work, but in another post he said he has a NOS clutch. so he's good to go on that.  It will most likely need a new battery, and come carb work.  I think that I'll toss a little gas in it, and see if it will run tomorrow.  The pics will show that the center cap is missing, but it's in the truck.  It has a crack and was a bit loose feeling, so I took it off so it wouldn't be lost on the trip

The good:  Surface rust only, and I didn't see any pitting anywhere!  More importantly I think, the fiberglass seat/fender pan is in GREAT condition with only a minor bit of crazing and some tiny chips on the edge on the right side.  No grease and oil drips.  Tires in good shape, holding air, and have very little weather checking.  I'm not sure, and maybe "Doc" can verify it, but it looks like the tires may be original.  The hood is straight, and hasn't been 'carved on' to use a different muffler.  All in all, it looks like it will make for a pretty easy restore.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are some pics of his score.

Attached Thumbnails

• 000_0534.JPG
  • 000_0535.JPG
  • 000_0536.JPG
  • 000_0537.JPG
  • 000_0538.JPG
  • 000_0539.JPG
  • 000_0540.JPG
  • 000_0541.JPG
  • 000_0542.JPG
  • 000_0543.JPG
  • 000_0545.JPG
  • 000_0546.JPG
  • 000_0547.JPG
  • 000_0548.JPG
  • 100_4545.JPG
  • 100_4546.JPG
  • 100_4547.JPG
  • 100_4548.JPG
  • 100_4549.JPG
  • 000_0544.JPG
  • 100_4550.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 30, 2013 - 05:23 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:47 PM

That was nice of you to do that for him but why so many straps? :D

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:57 PM

It is missing the freewheeling pin, and I didn't want it to move :D :D

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:31 PM

That was nice of you to do that for him but why so many

Could you imagine what a Rice rocket would look like After they hit a Bolens Garden tractor at 60 MPH XD  ... The Car would be Totaled the Gt would have a Bent hood and a flat tire but it would drive away .... But Seriously Don't cheep out with the straps In Canada any load Must be tied down by 4 corners when ever i take a Gt on a high way or fast road they are so strapped down they would NEVER move its just that Assurance that if you where ever in a collision the thing is not going to come flying into the cab with you ...  

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Could you imagine what a Rice rocket would look like After they hit a Bolens Garden tractor at 60 MPH XD  ... The Car would be Totaled the Gt would have a Bent hood and a flat tire but it would drive away .... But Seriously Don't cheep out with the straps In Canada any load Must be tied down by 4 corners when ever i take a Gt on a high way or fast road they are so strapped down they would NEVER move its just that Assurance that if you where ever in a collision the thing is not going to come flying into the cab with you ...  

Thank you for your input but I was messing with OB. :D

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yup..just like he's messing with me on some tires in another thread  :firejumper:    :D :D

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:49 PM

It looks pretty good.  I'm glad you had nice weather for a trip, but I think you are right, mother nature knew it wasn't your tractor.  lol