I had no experience using a mounted tiller before the one I just rebuilt. It works like it is supposed to work, I guess. But it seems to me like a very s-l-o-w process.
After spending a total of about 2 hours in the gardens with the tiller, I have one sort of chopped up about 3" deep, and half of another patch.each being about 30 feet wide X 80 feet long. It normally takes me about an hour and a half to plow ALL THREE patches that size, and going about 5" deep. Another 1 1/2 hours with the disk will have it in seedbed condition. From what I've seen so far with the tiller, I would spend a couple days getting to that point with it, and pulling the guts out of the tractor all the way.
The problem is not the rototiller, it is simply the wrong choice of implement for this HARD red-clay-and-rock mixture that we call dirt around here. The ground is plenty moist, too. I have a 4th small patch that is very much improved soil, with some silty loam added to it where the tiller does a great job. But most anything would work in that soil.
I'm going back to my moldboard plow and disc so I can get the work over with in a timely manner. I guess the rototiller will be consigned to the shed until I find somebody that wants it worse than I do. I don't know what to do with it. I had very high hopes for this and am very disappointed with the performance after the work and expense of rebuilding it. I haven't decided about the 3 point hitch yet, but I'm not in love with that either, and the rototiller is all I have to use with the 3 pt. with the sleeve hitch adapter.
Really, the 448 tractor rebuild I did this winter was primarily for using the rototiller, since I had no luck using the 3 point hitch for anything else. Guess I have an expensive monument to my ignorance here. I have a mower deck for the 448, but I'd be insane to try to mow these steep hills with it. I have to be very careful going from one garden to another, because of the danger of turning over.
Really bummed out.
Edited by machinist, March 30, 2013 - 01:33 PM.