40 replies to this topic

#31 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:00 AM

HALFSCALE , is there a way to tell exactly what year my 990 was made ??

As i mentioned this 990 has a starter/generator , 3 lug front rims ,  long thin plastic fuel tank . 

Is there  anything else I can look at to determine the exact year ?? 

I looked at those decals and it appeared that the 16 Hydrostatic hood decal and the 990 dash decal with cigarette lighter would work .

The best way is by the engine code, If we break down Oo-V-oO's code down 75- was the year-10 is the month- 21st day - 1 is the shift it was built on, So in this case those later dash decals may be accurate, I'm not exactly sure when they started using the turtle. but I do know from 74 back they are different. There are other ways to tell the years ,but it will make your head explode, the seals in the front hydro pump changed from year to year, the long fuel tanks , were different where the nipple come out the bottom, the early ones it was molded in and the later ones had a replaceable nipple, and in around 74 they changed the thickness of the seat springs. Sometimes I think Mtd used what ever they had, and some things may have changed by what brand  it was going to be sold under ,so a more accurate way is by the vender coponents like the engine or rear

• Jlaws and Sawdust have said thanks

#32 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well with no original engine sheet metal or ID model tags on the tractor itself , I guess when I strip the tractor down for repair and paint , I'll check the rearend for some sort of serial # .

One last question , Can the starter generator number give any clues as to manufacter date ??

Mine has a Delco-Remy # of 1101699  0L  9 .

Thanks everyone for all the advise , its been a lot of help and is greatly appreciated .

• Sawdust said thank you

#33 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:07 AM

OK , I think I've found my S/G answer , I did an internet search and found some forum discussions on delco-remy tags and reading the serial number to determine manufacture date .

A gentleman asked the same question as mine and it was confirmed that the tag was read correctly .

If I read mine correctly it tells me the S/G was made on December 9 1970 or 1980 ??.

I know it could have set on the factory shelf for a while before being installed on the assembly line  , but at least its a start .

Attached Thumbnails

• delco remy.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, April 15, 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I was wondering if theres someplace I can find decals for the 990 ?

I'd like to repaint it back the original Farm King orange if I can find decals , but seeing that the 990's were made by MTD for several outlets like Southerm States , Pennys , etc .

I'd be willing to paint it another color if I can find matching decals .

I checked Maple Hunter without any luck .

Daniel where did you find your Unico decals ?

I made my own, but somehow my computer dumped the template.  Took me hours & hours to make this template too!  But if I ever get the time, I could try doing it again.

#35 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Never tried going by the starter/ gen to find the year, it's an interesting idea though, my brother in law re builds that kinda stuff for a living , I'm going to find out.

#36 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

maggiewaggie
  • Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have a Farm King 990, 16 HP manual that looks pretty detailed. I can try to find a part number if you can tell what to look for.

#37 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:20 AM

OK , its been a while since I've posted progress on the 990 , but Its torn completely down . Parts are laying all over the garage .

So far I've repaired some cracks and broken weldnuts in the frame .

It seems that where the front axle mounts to the frame is a weak area and was cracked and bent slightly , I've straightened it and welded in a couple of reinforcement gussets for added strength .  Also welded in a couple of nut into the frame to replace the broken weldnuts . 

Frame has been cleaned , sanded , and repainted in black paint as well as the rearend .

I've decided on painting the frame black as well as both axles and rear hitch .

The grill , tunnel cover , steering console will be Ford/New Holland blue .

The headlight panel , hood , fenders , and rims will be white .

Should look good when I get done .

I'm taking pictures as I go along and will post them when its finished . 

I plan to have it done for a plowday in October that I attend every year , so I've got a lot to do yet and less than 2 months to get it done .

Should be interesting showing up at a primarily cub plowday with a MTD.  :smilewink:

Probably give my cub buddies heart failure ...LOL

I'm still looking for 15 inch ags as the original turfs hold air but are weather checked and cracked badly , and I'm surprised they hold air .

I'm also looking for a Cat 0 rear hitch . 

• Sawdust said thank you

#38 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Been following your project how are you coming along with it? I too just bought a MTD 990 Turf Trac. A few of the members are trying to help with the ID numbers because they are really weird   http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/  When I pick mine up I'm going to check the engine numbers too see if I can find out what year it was made. I have been told 1976-77. Will be watching your progress. 

• Jlaws said thank you

#39 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:07 PM

Sawdust , I finished the 990 back in October ,, Unluckily it had a mishap being hauled back from a plowday I attended and its presently in the garage partially disassembled awaiting warmer weather to be repaired a second time . Heres a picture of it the day I was loading it on the trailer for the plowday  .

Attached Thumbnails

• 990.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, March 05, 2014 - 02:12 PM.

• HALFSCALE, twostep and Sawdust have said thanks

#40 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Looks good! I really like the ag tires on the back.

• Sawdust said thank you

#41 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 07:19 PM

I like the Ags too as well as the color combination.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd 990