• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Jlaws ONLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 12:44 PM

I recently picked up what I think is a MTD 990 Farm King . It has been repainted blue , but where the paint is flaking off it looks to be an orangish-red and underneath the white headlight panel it appears to have been originally black as was the steering console and tunnel cover areas . I can't find any model or serial tags , and if there are any they've possibly been painted over .

It appears to have a large single cylinder Briggs , but the flywheel shroud tin which would have the engine serial/model numbers is missing . It has a Delco-Remy starter generator , points and coil ignition system , large long plastic fuel tank .
It appears to be a hydro and the engine does turn by hand .
I've done some internet searches and seen them sold under the Penny's , Unico , FarmKing , etc .
Is there anything that will help identify what name or year this MTD model might be ?

This GT needs a lot of TLC and I'm not sure what all is missing . So right now I'm trying to figure out if its worth repairing as there seems to be a few parts missing or if it going to become a parts machine .

Attached Thumbnails

• Dscn4208.jpg
  • hood.png

Edited by Jlaws, March 30, 2013 - 12:56 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have owned them with a gear drive starter and no grill bulge,also with high starter/generator mount and low mount with the factory bulge in the proper location.It is not one of the last ones because it does not have a gear drive starter.If it has 3 bolt front hubs and/or heavy cast rear hubs that would make it a earlier one.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Wow, it sure looks like one.  That one has been around the block a few times.  Lots of character.  Congratulations

I should say I like that red cub behind it more.  I'd sure like to see more of it.

#4 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's definitely a 990 - as to what brand it was sold as, I don't know other than to say that is not a Columbia. All the others looked the same other than the paint.

Those 32 cubic inch Briggs singles are great engines. 

• Jlaws said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:19 PM

That's definitely a 990 - as to what brand it was sold as, I don't know other than to say that is not a Columbia. All the others looked the same other than the paint.

Those 32 cubic inch Briggs singles are great engines. 

Ditto, if motor is free I would consider saving it as from this photo looks whole, for the most part.

• Jlaws said thank you

#6 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Most definetly a 990 i have the same one, mine has a 16 hp with the hydrostatic drive, just in the process of fixing it up, I have the big gas tank as well.

• Jlaws said thank you

#7 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:30 PM

All 990s are hydrostatic and have 4-bolt 15" rear wheels. 

Their little brother, the 960, had a manual transmission and 12" rear wheels. 

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:45 PM

The red paint under there makes me think Farm King.

• Jlaws said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Looks just like my new Farm King. Don't want it? Need my address then right? I have two now and a newer White version, guess I'm hooked! Serial numbers are on tags at bottom of dash, one each side. They weather off or if painted over they are gone! ONe thing I don't GET is the list here on forum for the Manufacturer number to brand doesn't have Farm King listed, yet I run across lots of them all the time. Wonder why it's not listed there?
  • Jlaws and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Jlaws ONLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 01:51 PM

OK , I'm going to try and gather missing parts to get this thing going . The first item I'm going to need is an engine flywheel shroud .

I've looked at several of the GTtalk manuals and all they give in the manual section is Engine with no model or part number .

Briggs made a million different engine flywheel shrouds and what I need is someone with a 990 MTD to give me a number off there engine shroud . Model , serial or type number so I have something that I can look up on ebay . This is an early 990 with the starter generator and 3 lug front wheels .

Theres currently a couple off possibles on ebay , but without a number I'm hesitant to bid .

Theres a possibility that they used several different model number engines during the production run so it be nice if I had a few different people respond .

TIA ,

Jess

Edited by Jlaws, March 31, 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#11 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Info off of mine:

Model 326431
Type 0139-01
Code 7510211

• Jlaws said thank you

#12 Jlaws ONLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Oo-v-oO,

Had hope for a little more help and a few more numbers , but with your help and a little research I think I've found a flywheel shroud that will fit .

I'll probably have more questions later , as I can't find any info on the points coil ign. on this 990 in the GTtalk  manual wiring section .

And the ign coil is missing , the coil brackets is there but its empty . Looks similar to the old K series Kohler ign coil setup .

I've got a couple of Kohler internal resistor coils and may try one to see how it runs .

The guy said it ran when he parked it , but I've heard that story before .

Edited by Jlaws, April 02, 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#13 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM

.... as I can't find any info on the points coil ign. on this 990 in the GTtalk  manual wiring section .

And the ign coil is missing , the coil brackets is there but its empty . Looks similar to the old K series Kohler ign coil setup .

There's no info on the coil igniton in the manual because it's not original.  These were magneto ignition in the earlier years and the later ones have a solid state unit eliminating the points.

You might want to make sure the conversion was completed before trying one of your coils.  The key switch and starter solenoid will be different with a battery/coil ignition.  If they're not the correct style, you won't have voltage to your coil.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ummm! BS coils are laminated metal stacks with wire coil and go above flywheel under the blower cover far as I know. Most should be Magneto on these tractors, only require ignition switch to ground/shut-off.  Don't see how ANY Kohler arrangement is going to be useful??  You need to get the manual (parts espically) for your model Briggs and see what options were offered and compare to what you have or should have. Can download from here or the Briggs web site. Need model and spec and other numbers to find listings. There is little info on just engine in the MTD manuals for these tractors.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 Jlaws ONLINE  

Jlaws
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 01:07 PM

OK , where to start .

This is the oldest and first 32 Cu in. Briggs I've owned . A few engine parts are missing . Don't ask me how but the previous owner had an external 70's style automotive ignition coil mounted on this engine , and a wire coming out of the engine points cover running to it .

There looks to be wires added ( different color wires and terminal ) to the wiring harness coming off the ignition switch which looks to have been changed and are going  to where the ign coil bracket is mounted .

I hate trying to reverse engineer previous owner modifications because there to cheap to buy the correct parts .

There appears to be two Magneto mounting busses on the engine near the flywheel , but there isn't one mounted to them .

I'm familiar with the Magneto ignitions used on most mower engines today . But they also in the past used on the older engines the point and ignition coil setup like on the K series Kohler singles as well as the BG series Onan twins .

I'd gladly buy a parts manual , if I had a number to use .

The flywheel shroud is missing and thats where the numbers would be . I've tried using the numbers Oo-v-oO gave me off his mtd 990 , but the briggs stratton sight says it isn't a good number .

I'm thinking it may be to old of model for them to support any more .

I've spent hours on the internet and I'm not having any luck finding any info on this old Briggs .

I'm serious thinking of just repower this MTD with a rebuilt  K341 Kohler ,  as I'm at least familar with that engine .

The sad part is I've rebuilt Kohler , Onan , and Briggs engines in the past , but I have manuals on those engines .

Yeah I'm getting frustrated . :mad2:

Edited by Jlaws, April 04, 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd 990