#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 12:10 AM

I posted a thread in the garden tractor forum about my 2 new Case's I acquired a couple days ago. I got a 226 with an Onan and a 222 with a Kohler. The 226 runs great and the 222 will be running tops by tomorrow. So I'm just looking for a little schooling on these things. They both have hydraulic lift. I have a snow blower for the 226 and deck for the 222. I would really like to build a 3pt for the 226. I know that it sits lower than the 400 series but have seen these with working 3pt. Anyone know where to get some plans? Also, anyone have manuals for the snow caster and deck? Also looking for some schooling on adding a rear PTO. All my GT experience is with JD's so this is new for me. Thanks.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:00 AM

What I was told is 3pt case attachments are set for 400 and up series not the shorter 200.Some might not make any deference the angle of contact to the ground. I'd opt for the sleeve hitch. 

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Well I had the manual, but cant' seem to get it posted-I'll work on it.

http://gardentractor...erators-manual/

I'm not certain about the 200 vs 400 prob, but the dwgs might give you an idea

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 30, 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Welcome to the Case world. I have a 444 so I'm not familiar with the smaller series. My Case is my go to tractor. Wish I could help more. Don't go painting those Cases green and yellow now! :bigrofl:

#5 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:35 AM

The yahoo groups page for case have the manuals you need

http://groups.yahoo....gardentractors/

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Ingersoll did make a 3 point kit that would also fit the newer 3000 series short wheel tractors, it will bolt onto your 226. It is a model HH-34 kit. If buying used, you must be sure it came from a short wheel tractor so it includes all the brackets necessary.

Here is one that Joe's sold on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...p2047675.l2557  $700 and it was for a high wheeler.

#7 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:14 AM

That $700 price tag tells me I need to build it. I appreciate it. I'm heading out to get the 222 smoothed out and some wheels and tires swapped around. What is the correct color paint for the orange and cream color? I have to paint some wheels and would also like to refinish the deck. I also need to grab some wheels for the deck.

Eric

#8 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Colors are probably Case Power Red and Power White, sold by Case-IH. It depends on the model year. What is the serial number (s), or model year?

It may offend the restoration purists, but I used "incorrect" (older color) Case Flambeau Red and (correct) Power White on mine because I could find it a lot easier and cheaper. Probably I got lesser quality paint, though. Color is very close to the same, mine being slightly brighter. New decals are available here: http://maplehunterdecalstexas.com/ BE SURE to allow 4 to 6 weeks for the paint to cure before putting the decals on, lest the paint outgassing cause lots of bubbles under the decals. It's a temptation to put them on right away, but resist it!

I have a 446 with sleeve hitch, and a 448 with 3 point. The 3 point has been nothing but trouble. I added sway chains, replaced everything it needed, sandblasted, painted, greased, etc. Major PITA to use with any heavy implement, because of swaying problem. It takes a lot longer to set up for using a plow on it because of all the adjusting required. I would sell the 3 point, but have it set up to carry my tiller and that more or less works. The 3 point lifts too high, causing interference with the rear PTO hydraulic valve. Can't lift it much on a hillside, or the top link will hit the PTO valve outlet fittings. It won't lift the plow high enough to keep from digging on rough ground, even with the top link in the bottom hole on the tractor.

I don't have much good to say about this 3 point hitch.

The sleeve hitch on the 446, however, is bulletproof. No hassle hooking up stuff, just ONE PIN and you are ready to work! Every time, all the time, no matter if I'm using plow, disk, cultivator, potato plow, disk hiller, or anything else.

Forget the 3 point. Get a sleeve hitch. Yeah, I know, everyone is in love with 3 points and thinks they are really cool, for some reason. Pretty is as pretty does, IMHO. My experience over 50+ years with farm tractors and 5 years or so with this 448 has been troublesome, to say the least.

I made my own sleeve hitch from a picture on eBay. Cheap and fairly easy, except for the link to the rocker shaft that was a pain to bend all the curlicues. I also made a sleeve hitch attachment that acts as a drawbar for pulling the yard cart, and I put a 1 7/8" hitch ball on it to move trailers around the place. That was handy when I did farm repairs at home for many years. No hassle with a swaying 3 point, with its' weak, spinning drawbar, either.

Sleeve hitches are available used, and much cheaper than a 3 point. Unless you are an experienced fabricator, used is probably the way to go. If making it doesn't scare you, then that is a lot cheaper at around $20 to $25 for materials. Need to get the pin holes spaced correctly. I used 1/2" black pipe through the square tube, welded in place, then reamed 5/8" (about .010" oversize) for the pin locations.

Plans are around for the 3 point hitch, but finding a suitable cylinder is a problem there, so if you go that direction, find your cylinder first. There is also the hassle of tapping into the steel hydraulic lines with Tee fittings for the rear cylinder. Those lines are nominal 5/16" and fittings are not very plentiful. I had to buy adapters to 1/4" pipe thread for some work I did on lines. If you do this, I'd suggest going with 1/4" pipe threads, and use NPT Tees, then hoses to the rear cylinder. Cutting and flaring steel hydraulic tubing is not easy, and a mistake can mean a big problem here. Not much room under there, either.

EDIT TO ADD: Just noticed you are in Indiana. I am down south in Salem, about 30 miles northwest of Louisville, if that helps any. You're welcome to have a look at mine and try 'em out if you want.

Edited by machinist, March 30, 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#9 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Got my paint at Orscheln Farm Supply, if that helps.   Not the best (Van Sickle), but it works. 

#10 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I used Van Sickle on my JD 112. It was good enough. These are not show tractors. The 226 is a later model Onan and the colors are a little different. The 222 is more orange and cream or light brown. I want to paint the deck for the 222. The deck is correct for the 222 as the 226 had a white deck. I had a choice and the 222 deck was is much better shape and recently rebuilt. I will get the model years today when I get motivated to head out to the shop lol. I just got back from Napa with my points, condenser and plug for the 222. The 226 is my first Onan. I need a little schooling on it as I have no manual for it. Anyone can shoot me some knowledge on the Onan? It seems to be a little rich. It runs great though. I don't want to mess with it till I get a little more informed on it. Thanks again.

I'm not too nervous about making the 3 pt. I've heard that the lift cylinder under the tractor is a great candidate for lifting the 3 pt. I have a JD 140 for my sleeve hitch. It sounds like the sleeve hitch is a simple build for these Case's. Do you have some pics? Just was wanting a 3 pt around. I have a 3 pt disc. Unless I can find someone to swap my for a sleeve hitch disc I can't use it. The 3 point may be a lost cause. Heck the JD 140 3 pt is crazy expensive and rare also.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, March 30, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#11 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am functionally illiterate about digital photography.   I'll see if I can get my daughter to get some pics next week. 

Never had much luck with 3 pt. disks.    The rigid frame kept it from cutting on one end of the other, except for a really ancient Ferguson farm disk.   I made a double gang disk out of 2 Brinly sleeve hitch sections.    I coupled them loosely with a pair of 5/8" bolts and locknuts, so they can flex and it works beautifully.    These were the old style that have a flat bar sticking out on both ends.  I added stacks of bar bell weights front and back  for about 80 pounds total, so it cuts nicely.  

Yours with the light tan color might be Desert-something-or-other orange?   IDK what the tan is called.   I'm not the guy to ask about that.  

Like this one?   http://indianapolis....3700709373.html

This might help:   http://paintref.com/....cgi?manuf=Case

Edited by machinist, March 30, 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#12 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Ha, that's the one I bought and he had a 226 with a blower. Yes that's it. It can't get anymore representative than that.

Eric

#13 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Here are some pics of everythinguploadfromtaptalk1364661027382.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364661048814.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364661076583.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#14 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dropped, congrats on your new tractor's, with-in a little time your will realize why we love them.

There are plans around just "Google" it, if you can't find them PM me.

The most important thing about Case equipment is the serial #, they changed a lot, I think there are 7 different manuals just for a 446 never mind the rest, so you need that # to be sure you have the right manual for tractor and attachments. 

#15 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:37 PM

I got the 222 running good now. Didn't take much. It still needs the Carb cleaned. Is it bad that not only do I want to sell one JD, I want to sell 2. I think the 212 and the 140. The case's seem so much easier to work on. Also there are no belts except the deck belt and flower belt. I'm quickly falling in love. I never thought something would test my JD loyalty but these things seemed to have crushed it lol. I'm hooked. I'm going to keep at least one for my tiller and sleeve hitch. I have a handful of attachments so have to keep at least one.

Eric