36 replies to this topic

#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Last spring I bought my very first tractor, it was a Bolens 1886-01. I loved that tractor and I spent many hours getting it all prettied up and runing. Then, one night winter came. The first snowfall we got was 3 foot of snow overnight and it kept snowing for 2 more days! The tractor was snowed in from the first storm we got and I had to call the snowremoval guy. Thing is where do you put tons of snow that just appeared in your parking lot? Well mister snow removal told me I had to get some vehicules out of the parking or there would be no room to put the snow and I would get snowed in. So I had to move the tractor and (its lost under tons of snow) 2 stage snowblower that I didnt have time to hook up out of the parking lot and when the snowremoval guy would be done Id have no room to bring it back home because of the enormous snowbanks that would now be in the parking lot. If I had known a couple days ahead of time I would have driven the bolens under the balcony but it would have been stuck there all winter because of all that snow :(   I was forced to sell it or let it get buried under 10 foot snowbanks. I was devastated but I sold it to an old man who would take good care of it.

Now i was stuck with no tractor to tend my 20 000sq foot yard. One day I received a call from a man who wanted to trade his tractor for a snowmobile ( I repair and sell antique snowmobiles). So I traded a 1973 arctic cat panther 340cc for this here tractor. The guy told me the thing didnt work but I accepted the trade anyway because it was small enough for me to wrestle it under the balcony through a part of the snowbank that was left open to acces the basement door. Well Yesterday I decided that spring was comming fast and that I should look into that tractor and not wait to the last second before Finding out that it was beyond repair and have to buy another tractor. I hooked up a battery and tried to crank the engine...nothing. I tought the selenoid or starter were dead but upon inspection everything was good. After sleeping on it I realised that there must be one of them killswitch under the seat and sure enough I found one that had popped out of its spot. I put the switch back in place and the tractor runs fine :)

I lost my Bolens and it pains me but I have a craftsman that I traded for a snowmobile that had only cost me 130$.

Even though I lost An exelent machine Ive gaine a dirt cheap lawn tractor :)

DSCF2062.JPG DSCF2063.JPG DSCF2064.JPG DSCF2069.JPG DSCF2071.JPG DSCF2075.JPG DSCF2070.JPG

Now im wondering if theres improvement I could do to it to get a 3 pt? 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2068.JPG
  • DSCF2073.JPG

• boyscout862, Newpaws493, Dieselcubmike and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:32 PM

'Edge ! It's good ta hear from ye mate! Trust all is well with the family. Get it shined up then call the old gent maybe that sweet Bolens is too much for him :smilewink:  :rolling: Congrats and Welcome home! :big_hug:

• hatedge and larryd have said thanks

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Congrats on the new mower! I am not sure if the transaxle would be able to handle the weight of a three point.

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think the Craftsman is a good mower but not the Garden Tractor you had. No 3 point in my opinion. If you have GT fever you will have another GT very soon!

imagesCAZQNHJM.jpg

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I had a husky with the nearly identical transaxle. It is not rated for ground engagement, but it will handle a snow blower if you can find one.

Sorry to hear of the loss of the Bolens, but congrats I your new mower.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Welcome back!  I was wondering how you were doing.  How is your family? As said above that is only a lawn tractor. Use it to mow the lawn and pull a cart but forget about anything else with it. They break too easy. Do your engine oil changes every 20 hours of use and use a good oil. It will help around the yard but it is several classes of tractor below that Bolens. Keep your eyes open and you should be able find a good old garden tractor for under $100. Then fix it up.  Look through our photo galleries for ideas about various tractors. Good Luck, Rick

• hatedge said thank you

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Talk about going from a Cadillac to a Yugo :smilewink:

• NJKen said thank you

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Talk about going from a Cadillac to a Yugo :smilewink:

Glad you said it, I wasn't going too.

#9 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well for those of ye whom have inquired about the family, heres some news:

I was out on an antique snowmobile ride up in St Alphose de Rodrigez and my 1977 T'nt skidoo started acting up 30 minutes in the ride. It finally just quit on me and I opened the cab when my cell phone ringed. It was my wife calling me home coz the babe was on the way!!!!! :) Pulled all the wits I could and figured out the problem. Changed both coils and plugs and the machine roared to life. I didnt let go off the throttle till a police officer stopped me because of my dangerous ridding on the trail. to make a long story short the police stopped traffic on al the roads that I would cross and I made it home. My wifes waters broke in the van on the way to the hospital and she gave birth to a magnificent 7.8 pounds girl in no more than 4 minutes after we arrived at the hospital :) 

Talk about a story, Now everyone around knows me and my wife because the story was all over the 3 villages I raced trhough to get home.

I figured that the craftsman was not a GT but was still hoping :(

I will keep my eyes peeled for another tractor and will proudly come and share with ye mates again....promissed

As for now ive just found a MF12 for my brither and Im looking for manuals and info on the model to get the thing back to working condition.

• boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Congratulations on the baby girl!  Lots of snowmobiling fun ahead.  I have a couple of craftsman one is a GT and the other is an LT much like yours.  It does well for what it was designed but really isn't strong enough for much else.  On the other hand my GT does everything I ask of it and more.  

Enjoy your new bundle.  :thumbs:

• hatedge said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Congratulations. Best wishes to you all. Rick

• hatedge said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Congrats Dad!  Bet you were fit to be tied when you got that call with the sled down!!

• hatedge said thank you

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes, Congratulations and if you lived closer I would give you two more of those Craftsman mowers. I have them setting out back and have no use at all for them. Baby gifts!

• hatedge said thank you

#14 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:43 PM

:beerchug:  Congrats Mate !! to you and yours, Best News o the day :smiley-score010:   :wave:

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Congrats, Dad! Glad you made it home okay!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: craftsman, bolens