• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Since a lot of you enjoyed my thread about snakes from last year, I thought I could do the same this year. Last year I had several different threads going for different animals, I thought that this year I would post them all here.

I thought it would be several more weeks at least, before I started to see any snakes. Today, I stumbled upon this little garter snake! I was very surprised when I spotted it! It did not move much, and slow when it did, so it was probably pretty cold; it was also trying to crawl into my sleeve, I assume to get warm.

3CE47E78-FC75-411C-B933-C6A8F86B89C3-651

I have not seen much animal activity yet this year, other then the normal deer, geese, and muskrats. In the last week I have been noticing more birds around, so hopefully the weather keeps picking up!

NOTICE: I do NOT want to hear your stories about that evil snake you ran over while mowing! If you have other pictures to share, please feel free to post them!

• Alc, oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Even though it hasn't been real warm yet. And with the long winter we had, he must have been bored and couldn't wait any longer to come out and get some sun. :D

• larryd said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:38 PM

The only wildlife I saw today that was out of the ordinary was a rat in the roadway trying to commit suicide.  I went around him but I bet he got his wish.  

Nice snake Ryan.  

• larryd said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Ryan, most likely the snake was moving slow due to the amount of bar and chain oil it ingested. They go much faster on 5w-20.

• larryd said thank you

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 01:02 AM

We both really like snakes, to the point of keeping garter snake babies in terrariums until they grew too big to be happy in confinement. They thrived on earthworms, strips of raw meat and fish until they got big enough for pinkies--- new born baby mice, for those who might not know. They even got conditioned to eat out of our hands and seemed to enjoy gentle stroking and handling. Word of caution, an unhappy garter snake can (and will) crap all over your hands and it is an awful stink!!!

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:51 AM

They will also bite. That is why I stopped moving them out of my yard 25 years ago. For the past 15 years I've had a 4+ foot black racer that lives under my tire changer(outside). I rarely see any other snakes now. We did have a coppehead in our garage for awhile, I thought that the kid was pulling my leg. Its been 20+ since I saw one of our timber rattlers. The problem now is that we have too many mice and chipmunks.  

#7 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:26 AM

I have a moose napping out in the field not but 100 yards from my house..  

When i left Texas i left my love for snakes behind..  

Thanks for sharing your picture.. looking forward to more..

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:40 PM

We have seen a lot of moles this year. Cats are enjoying them.

• Team_Green said thank you

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 12:37 AM

Yup, we get the occaisional moose in the yard as well, usually in deep winter when the wolves move through. We think the moose know they're safer in the yard with the dogs barking than they are in the bush where the wolves are. A pack of wolves drifts through our area about every three weeks all winter long, lots of tracks as big as a saucer.

• Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yup, we get the occaisional moose in the yard as well, usually in deep winter when the wolves move through. We think the moose know they're safer in the yard with the dogs barking than they are in the bush where the wolves are. A pack of wolves drifts through our area about every three weeks all winter long, lots of tracks as big as a saucer.

Our napping moose moved in closer.. only to see that he was covered in ticks..  He succumb to the ticks right in the yard. I'm glad it's cold enough that any ticks that fell off will die..  Any pictures of the prints of the wolves? Do you hunt wolves in Sask? We do out here in Alberta but its due to them going after the calfs.

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't know of anyone who hunts them specifically as you would hunt deer, but there are lots of trappers who target them. Usually it's about a draw as to which is the smarter, wolf or trapper  lol. We haven't had any predation on our cattle by the wolves (yet) but we do have the Tibetan mastiffs on duty, and we don't inadvertantly feed the wild things by leaving dead stock unburied.

• Team_Green said thank you

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 08:38 PM

A couple weeks ago I went for a walk and I did not see a goose sitting on its nest, when I walked by it flew right off! Here is a picture of what it was guarding... kinda.

30582A2A-EB1C-49F7-90FF-43728A110C61-169

There was another goose sitting on a nest, but I can't want to that one as it is on an island. Yesterday I noticed that the ones on the island hatched.

C5B46D0C-5EC5-423F-B663-261C7770A48A-301

While I just about hate the geese (noisy and messy) sometimes they can be entertaining to watch.

Last year, I was mowing and Neighbor Herby came out and we started  to talk. We where talking about the newly hatched goslings and while we where watching them swim in a line, one adult in front and the other behind. In the blink of an eye, one was gone! They just kept swimming, as if they did not notice! A few seconds later we saw the shadow of a big snapper in the water.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:48 PM

It has been a while, and the geese are all hatched and doing well! The goslings are getting pretty big and starting to get their adult feathers.

This weekend I went on a fishing/ camping trip. We did some fishing from a boat, and some from the bank; while on the bank I saw a log half in the water so I decided to flip it over. Found this one! It was a nice fat, healthy 3 foot water snake. There where two others who went on the trip, one is deathly afraid of snakes and would not come within 30 feet of it! The other was very impressed with my snake handling, he would never believe me when I told him I could hold a snake and let its head be free without getting bit.

BDE4AFF9-17A3-48BE-9D9B-9AD6804D5157-182

A few weeks ago I was picking up in my backyard. There was one of those little mini kettle grills for camping, and when I lifted the lid off I found a 3 1/2 foot milk snake!

9F40F634-D8D3-4789-A0A3-DBD464927A82-182

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Only snakes I've seen yet this year were splattered on the road, did get a mole with a spike trap couple days ago, no moose around here!  But I did see this little guy when mowing at the farm recently:

HPIM1110.JPG

Saw a bigger one, still spotted, in the same area today!  ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, June 18, 2013 - 09:44 PM.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have caught a few snakes since my last update, but nothing special. Today, I got something that I am sure will surprise all of you! Here it is!

95992066-310C-45D5-AF92-913529E27006-233

Yes I bare handed it, and no, it was not sick or diseased. I simply walked up behind it am grabbed it!

• Texas Deere and Horse, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks