25 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I recently picked up a Simplicity 3108 riding mower.

[link to pics and more about my 3108] http://gardentractor...implicity-3108/

It ran great when I picked it up but when I got it home the flywheel was bound. After further investigation I found that two magnets from the flywheel had come loose and ended up binding up against the stator and the rest was history. I've pulled the flywheel and removed the stator and am now looking for a used flywheel and stator. Anyone have a motor that's toast that you'd be willing to pull the flywheel and stator off of and sell it to me for a "budget price"? The engine and part numbers are listed below. Thanks.

Engine--Briggs and Stratton 190707 (8 hp) with electric (key) start

Flywheel--Briggs and Stratton 391983

Stator--Briggs and Stratton 393456

Edited by Moosetales, March 28, 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:14 PM

I had that happen on one of those. I was lucky and I glued the magnets back in. still runs to this day. That's to bad it damaged things!

I'll search around, not sure if I have any left?

• Alc and Moosetales have said thanks

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I had actually started down that path with epoxy until I realized the magnets where too stoved up to be of any good. Thanks for looking around.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:38 AM

I've got some miscellaneous 8 hp parts. I'll look today. Good Luck, Rick

Check your dump(or transfer station) for engines and mowers being thrown out.

Edited by boyscout862, March 29, 2013 - 07:40 AM.

• Moosetales said thank you

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I've got some miscellaneous 8 hp parts. I'll look today. Good Luck, Rick

Check your dump(or transfer station) for engines and mowers being thrown out.

Good idea. Thanks.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I just got in from looking. I don't have any of those flywheels or stators left :( Hopefully Rick can find something for you.

• Moosetales said thank you

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:20 AM

I just got in from looking. I don't have any of those flywheels or stators left :( Hopefully Rick can find something for you.

Thanks for checking.
  • chris m said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:44 AM

wow thats a shame, i  converted one of those type flywheels a while back. I use them to repower the 5.75 briggs over to a magnatron system. All i have to do is knock the starter gear of the back and pop the magnets out and you then get a early 60 engine that has no points to worry about. I think i only paid $20 for the mag and the flywheel.

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:42 PM

wow thats a shame, i converted one of those type flywheels a while back. I use them to repower the 5.75 briggs over to a magnatron system. All i have to do is knock the starter gear of the back and pop the magnets out and you then get a early 60 engine that has no points to worry about. I think i only paid $20 for the mag and the flywheel.

Tell me more. Do you have a "how to" thread about this conversion?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:11 PM

wow thats a shame, i  converted one of those type flywheels a while back. I use them to repower the 5.75 briggs over to a magnatron system. All i have to do is knock the starter gear of the back and pop the magnets out and you then get a early 60 engine that has no points to worry about. I think i only paid $20 for the mag and the flywheel.

You must be speaking opf the older engines, such as the model 14, that have the magnamatic ignition?   You need to do a thread on that Jeff.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday, The kid hogged the internet until after I went to bed. I found two full circle stators, a 12hp flywheel, an engine with a rod through the side that may be an 8hp. It would help to have clear pictures and a few dimensions. I will look some more today. After a year and a half I finally got my Big Ten together yesterday. The carb leaks and the spark is intermittent. The carb was badly corroded and had to soak for months. The float seat was questionable, now I know. The spark may just be the points need to be polished again since it was a while since I did the ignition. I'll also take a trip to our transfer station today. Good Luck, Rick

#12 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday, The kid hogged the internet until after I went to bed. I found two full circle stators, a 12hp flywheel, an engine with a rod through the side that may be an 8hp. It would help to have clear pictures and a few dimensions. I will look some more today. After a year and a half I finally got my Big Ten together yesterday. The carb leaks and the spark is intermittent. The carb was badly corroded and had to soak for months. The float seat was questionable, now I know. The spark may just be the points need to be polished again since it was a while since I did the ignition. I'll also take a trip to our transfer station today. Good Luck, Rick

The flywheel is 8" across. I'll get better pics once I'm back home. I went to the transfer station today too. Nothing. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

What carb do you have and to what motor? I may have a carb kit for you. Good luck yourself.

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Its a B&S 10 hp cast iron. I rebuilt the carb but I'm afraid that the float valve seat corroded too much. I'll see what I have to fix it. I've got lots of parts its just hard to get at and find them.. Thanks, Rick

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:51 PM

The engine with the rod through the block has an 8" flywheel and a 3" bore. That should be what you want. It does have the ring gear but I haven't taken it off to check the stator. You are welcome to it. Let me know and I'll take it apart tomorrow. Rick

#15 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:05 PM

The engine with the rod through the block has an 8" flywheel and a 3" bore. That should be what you want. It does have the ring gear but I haven't taken it off to check the stator. You are welcome to it. Let me know and I'll take it apart tomorrow. Rick

Rick,

I sure hope that's the correct flywheel. Thanks so much for taking a look around. Here are a few pics:

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted