• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have a lead on another MF10 and an MF14. I have not seen them yet but, I believe the MF14 is intact but probably not running. Both are sitting outside. My question is... What is the value of a used, abused, and weathered MF14?

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, March 28, 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'm not a Massey guy, I've never owned one.  However, value for anything, and especially machinery, depends on so many factors, its hard to place an exact number.

I'd buy any tractor with a $100-200-300 price tag that shows potential, is complete and not stuck, and comes with at least one implement.

I'd consider any tractor that is in the above ranges that has all of the above plus good paint and originality.

Ask yourself this: does it run?  If the answer is no, assume 50 bucks for a carburetor kit and maybe $20-25 for points and condenser, spark plug, and a good oil change.  If the answer is yes, assume a score and move on. 

If it runs, does it have full power and a good transmission? 

How are the tires?  Tubes are expensive, but $50 should set you up.

Does it come with an implement?  Unless you plan to hunt down attachments special, finding unique attachments will be hard for some of the brands.

How is the "comfort" parts?  Is the vinyl seat cracked and rotted? 

That's only scratching the surface.  Battery (or lack thereof) ease of starting, fuel system, charging system, wiring, gauges, lights, sheetmetal.  Each factor says something about value.

Then there's the value to you.  You might really like it, so it could be worth $500 to you when its worth $0 to me.

Let us know what you find!

Ben W.

• Moosetales said thank you

#3 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • Member No: 10011
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:05 AM

Me and my dad got a mf 14 for $150 last year. It didn't run ad the decals were missing and it look like someone used it hard on a farm because it had a home made bumper in the front and we grinded it off.

• LTD said thank you

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:21 AM

I picked up a '74 MF14 this Winter for $500. It came with a steel cab and snowblower. It did not run at the time but a new battery did the trick. Paint and overall co.dition was good. The guy was unloading it so I'm not sure what the going price would have been if he had been more patient...not complaining that's for sure.

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,123 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 02:35 PM

You have to look at what is usable and good to you If they were sitting outside for a long time and are in rough shape.$50-$100 for the 10.Maybe $125-$150 for the 14 unless they know it runs.Pictures would help us make a call.

#6 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:42 PM

I am going to try and make it over there tomorrow to take a look. He thinks the 14 has a different motor on it than it came with, I will see if I can take a few pics and post them. 

I looked in the manuals section for a 14-16 owners manual to familiarize myself with it. There doesen't apper to be one. I may have to tow it home with the MF10 Diesel about half a mile. I was just curious about neutral on the hydra, Is it like a 12H or is neutral easier. 

#7 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 319 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:57 AM

For neutral on the 14 there is a high/low for the transmission in front of the seat right between your legs, it moves left for high and to the right for low (if i remember correctly).Putting the lever in the middle will put it in neutral to be able to tow the tractor. Check the fluid for the hydro/transmission (under the seat there is a dipstick to check) it lubricates the bearings in the transmission and axles before you tow it.  

For values- I paid $600 for my first MF14 running. My 2nd MF14 (avatar pic) $200 with a snow blade but was a basket case with parts in 3-4 plastic totes it has a 16hp Kohler from prior owner. More recently MF8 i paid $180 that came with snowblower and push blade it was running at the time but engine was worn out.  

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 280 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:43 AM

If it has a 3pt. hitch on it and the hitch is complete and in good shape, the hitch alone should be worth an easy $200+ in my opinion. Another factor is how bad do you want one and how often do they come up for sale in your area. I've "overpaid" a couple times because I didn't want to wait a year possibly to save $100. I paid $400 for my 1st mf14. It had a rebuilt k321, a solid deck and snowblower. Both the deck and blower need a bearing. I paid $200 for my 2nd mf14, it was a non-running mess but had a complete 3pt. I'm happy and feel I got a good deal on both tractors. Good luck and I hope to see some pics of your newly acquired mf14 soon.

#9 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 03:03 AM

I went over to look at what the guy had today. Turned out there was only a 10G, but the guy did have an 8G, and two 7G's. I noticed the 8G still had the original motor...If I had more room I'd drag them home and part them out or sell them, One of the 7G's had a broken front axle.

The 10G is rough, but I am going to pick it up for parts. I may fix it though. The original motor is gone and the dash tower and gas tank were victims of a leaking battery years ago. I also get a stuck tecumseh HH120 and an OH160 that turns over, both from the remnants of sears suburbans. All for $150 ish.

I think parts value wise this is a good deal for me. I do wish I was dragging home a MF14.

• Moosetales said thank you

#10 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Glad you were able to find something in the lot that you could use. Pics?

#11 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 10:26 AM

I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get a chance, I will take a few when I go back and get the 10G, deck, and engines. I was a little concerned about taking pictures at a guys place on my first visit.

I need to make a towing apparatus that utilizes the lift hitch so I can drag the 10G home by myself. It will either be some sort of bolt on drawbar for the front of the the tractor, or I might build a wheel lift like a modern wrecker.

I am real excited to find the OH160 tecumseh, big old engines are tough to come by. It looks like it would fit in an MF12G pretty nicely

Glad you were able to find something in the lot that you could use. Pics?

#12 kscycler1 OFFLINE  

kscycler1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 13943
  • 17 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I found an MF14 sitting in a warehouse last week, and bought it today for $600. It has a tiller with one extension and is in pretty good shape. I hope to have pics soon...

#13 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 280 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I found an MF14 sitting in a warehouse last week, and bought it today for $600. It has a tiller with one extension and is in pretty good shape. I hope to have pics soon...

Please start a new thread about your "new to you" mf14 when you get a chance. We'd really like to hear the story and see pic's of it.

#14 kscycler1 OFFLINE  

kscycler1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 13943
  • 17 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Please start a new thread about your "new to you" mf14 when you get a chance. We'd really like to hear the story and see pic's of it.

I will. I've been a green (JD) guy for years and this will be my first MF garden tractor. Have a 14,000 pound MF (big) tractor, but that's not for here.