• image.jpg

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#32 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:50 PM

We got our first ripe tomato today!  It is a Roma.

All 7 of us picked and processed green beans this week.  We picked about 8 gallons from 100' of row.  My daughter and I spent 2 hours snapping stems and washing, then my wife blanched and froze, or canned dilly beans.

The cucumbers are going crazy, growing through the peanuts and into the green beans.  My wife has made pickles, sweet and sour cucumber salad, and plain sliced cucumbers for every meal and snack.

The second planting of beets is ready.  The second crop of zucchini and crookneck squash at the farm might be ready when the wife and kids go up tomorrow.

Peppers are doing well.  I planted 10 plants, but will do 30 next year.  She has been stuffing the banana peppers with cream cheese and sausage, or bacon.

At the farm, the dry beans have little pods.  Even the varieties marked Bush are vining a little.  That is ok, except they are growing toward the adjacent potatoes.  I can no longer get the cultivator or tiller between the beans and taters, and this might complicate digging potatoes.

We have been digging a bucket of potatoes every weekend, and get some good size Yukon Gold.

Weeds at the farm are becoming a problem.  Most weekends it rains, and I can't get in without making a mess.  I spent Saturday watching three inches of rain fall on the garden.

I borrowed a neighbor's Massey Ferguson 165 with a 6' mower a couple weeks ago.  I mowed our 4 acres of pasture, and only hit one fence post.  He wants to sell it to me, but I want a big loader for making compost.

• twostep said thank you

#33 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Took this of my corn and sunflowers today. They're doin' nice

I never got around to planting the 20 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds or the two kinds of popcorn I bought.  The chickens will eat the sunflower, and the corn will last for next year.  I think you were the one who inspired me to try the Northern White beans.  I planted two pounds from the grocery store.

• twostep and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#34 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:36 PM

I think you were the one who inspired me to try the Northern White beans. I planted two pounds from the grocery store.

That would be me. How did the beans turn out?
I'm gonna try them again next year. I think the downfall for mine this year was planting too early

Edited by Jordan9682, July 31, 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#35 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:35 PM

That would be me. How did the beans turn out?
I'm gonna try them again next year. I think the downfall for mine this year was planting too early

I have not seen them since Sunday, but they had little green pods.  I think it will be a while before they mature and dry.  I hope we get some dry weather at the right time, I don't have a place to hang that many plants for drying.

My wife is at the farm now.  She said she did some weeding, and picked peppers, Zucchini, and crookneck squash.

At home, my neighbor brought me a big pile of grass clipping that I mulched the garden with.  He has a Cushman Truckster with a K-301 that he added hydraulics for a dump bed.  I am very jealous!