It was a busy afternoon yesterday, and after work today. The garden dried out from last week's rain, so yesterday I cleaned out the chicken coop. 6 wheelbarrow loads of litter were spread and tilled in, then 3 more loads from the ducks went into the compost pile. I am not worried about hot manure burning plants, the manure was spread thin, and most of the garden will be vacant until Memorial day.
Today I laid out my rows with the furrower/cultivator. I took off the sweeps behind the tires, so I could see my treads and use it to space the rows. If I overlap the treads, it gives me 32" center to center.
As fast as I made a furrow, the chickens were scratching in it, picking out worms and grubs, and mostly making a mess of my neat furrows. My wife had to distract them with Cheerios and lock most of them in the coop.
Once the rows were done, I put up the deer netting fence, to keep the chickens out. The chickens are worse than deer or groundhogs in the garden.
Then I finally planted something. I put in yellow and white onion sets, green onions and leeks from seeds, beets, fennel, 3 varieties of peas, and some direct seeded broccoli.
I filled the front tires of the Ford last week, and it made a difference. Each tire took 1.5 gallons of windshield washer fluid. I also tucked a lead ingot between the engine and grille, plus the steel on the front blade bracket.
I took a picture of my flock, and my chicken waterer. It is fed by gravity from a bucket hanging in the feed room side of the coop. I love it! I have three, one each for the ducks and chickens, plus one for the moveable pen I use for the meat chickens.
I also have pics of what I did to the Brinly cultivator. I got the unit for $37, found four wider sweeps at a flea market, bought the furrower from Agrisupply, and made a few more shanks from 3/4" bar stock. I can mount 8 shanks if I want to.