#16 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:44 PM

I was working on my Brinly cultivator last night, cutting, bending, and drilling new round stock for shanks.  I have lots of shanks and blades, and stole someones idea of eye bolts instead of stock keepers.  I made a way to mount a furrower in the center. 

I would like to see pictures of this.

Looks like the ford is doing the job!

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:30 AM

That's looking good! Glad the Ford was up to the task! Thanks for the pics!

#18 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:15 PM

After a week since plowing, I got back to the garden this afternoon.  It was 17 degrees Saturday morning, but near 70 today!

I found a spring tooth harrow section on Craigslist last fall. Today, I chained it to the little Ford and dragged it around.  The tooth angle is adjustable.  I had to start with the teeth barely touching the soil, or it would stop the tractor.  After smoothing the entire garden, I lowered the teeth to let it dig. 

I had to test my box blade shank ripper.  In a trade, I got a Brinly plow with a bent landslide.  I removed the moldboard and landslide and bolted on the bow blade shank.  All the way down, I could dig 12" deep.  In some places that deep of a shank stopped the tractor.  I will try this in the rows before I plant.  I have only rarely dug that deep in this garden.

I also did a test run with my cultivator.  It needs some more work, and so does my technique.  I did find that the cultivator brought up buried sod.  I need to hit the garden with my walk behind rototiller before I plant.

I should get onions and garlic planted this week, maybe peas and some potatoes, too.  I will get some pictures.

#19 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:28 PM

The kids and I ran the tiller yesterday.  Today I built a new gate and got my fence posts in.  Then I took a practice run with the cultivator/furrower to lay out rows.  Overlapping the tire treads, I got 13 rows, 32" on center.  That would be great if I wanted 13 rows of carrots or beets!  For anything else, its too close to walk between.  I will make a plan tonight, and see how much of what I want to plant.

I learned that it is hard to lay out straight rows with my setup.  The steering is a little loose, and I have too little weight on the front end without the weights on.  I have a plan to add weight.  I might also fill the front tires.

• twostep said thank you

#20 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:03 PM

It was a busy afternoon yesterday, and after work today.  The garden dried out from last week's rain, so yesterday I cleaned out the chicken coop.  6 wheelbarrow loads  of litter were spread and tilled in, then 3 more loads from the ducks went into the compost pile.  I am not worried about hot manure burning plants, the manure was spread thin, and most of the garden will be vacant until Memorial day.

Today I laid out my rows with the furrower/cultivator.  I took off the sweeps behind the tires, so I could see my treads and use it to space the rows.  If I overlap the treads, it gives me 32" center to center. 

As fast as I made a furrow, the chickens were scratching in it, picking out worms and grubs, and mostly making a mess of my neat furrows.  My wife had to distract them with Cheerios and lock most of them in the coop.

Once the rows were done, I put up the deer netting fence, to keep the chickens out.  The chickens are worse than deer or groundhogs in the garden.

Then I finally planted something.  I put in yellow and white onion sets, green onions and leeks from seeds, beets, fennel, 3 varieties of peas, and some direct seeded broccoli.

I filled the front tires of the Ford last week, and it made a difference.  Each tire took 1.5 gallons of windshield washer fluid.  I also tucked a lead ingot between the engine and grille, plus the steel on the front blade bracket.

I took a picture of my flock, and my chicken waterer.  It is fed by gravity from a bucket hanging in the feed room side of the coop.  I love it!  I have three, one each for the ducks and chickens, plus one for the moveable pen I use for the meat chickens.

I also have pics of what I did to the Brinly cultivator.  I got the unit for $37, found four wider sweeps at a flea market, bought the furrower from Agrisupply, and made a few more shanks from 3/4" bar stock.  I can mount 8 shanks if I want to.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4-15-13 002.JPG
  • 4-15-13 003.JPG
  • 4-15-13 004.JPG
  • 4-15-13 005.JPG
  • 4-15-13 001.JPG
  • 4-15-13 010.JPG
  • 4-15-13 006.JPG
  • 4-15-13 007.JPG

• twostep, oldedeeres and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#21 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:12 PM

All my seedlings are up.  The last to show up were the tobacco and celery.  The tobacco are tiny!  Everything will need some thinning.

I also found a flint!  I am pretty certain it was a failed attempt to make a spear point, by some primitive artisan, just after the last ice age.  My wife says its just a rock.  Guess who is not inheriting a prehistoric artifact when I die.

My boys and I also weeded our 4x8 raised bed in the front yard.  We mixed in a few buckets of sand.  This bed will be salad, peas, and a few flowers, if I can keep the chickens and cat out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4-15-13 008.JPG
  • 4-15-13 009.JPG
  • 4-15-13 011.JPG

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I worked on the garden at the farm today. The farm is an hour north of home, and it is a week or two behind. I tripled the size this year. Last year, i planted winter wheat, which I plowed under. The new part was horse pasture this morning.

It is like I plowed three different gardens, today. The old part was perfect. Not dry, not wet, lots of organic. Matter, sand, and gypsum added last year. Part of the new part was where we fed the horses round bales, so lots of waste hay and manure, and very wet under the matted hay. Just a few feet away was hard, dry, dusty, brick-like clay.

It all got plowed, the new section got the single ripper, and it all got e spring tooth harrow.

My plan is for potatoes in the old garden, dry beans in the manured muck, and the hard clay will get mulched with junk hay, then get winter squash planted through the mulch. Next year will be more productive for the new section.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Alc, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#23 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Today was our first day of serious spring-like weather, water running everywhere, but there is still a good cover of snow on the garden. Picked up our seed order from the post office yesterday and we're busy planning what goes where. We'll start planting the tomatoes tomorrow and get them going in the house, but they won't be getting in the garden before the last week in May, if that early. It is all up to Ma Nature now.

#24 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Oldedeeres, our last frost date is around mid  May, so I usually plant my tomatoes around the end of May, too.

Today we planted 45 pounds of potatoes.  Kennebec, Pontiac, and Yukon Gold.  I made furrows with the cultivator.  Two of my boys helped me plant the seed potatoes that my wife cut.  Then I offset the furrower and covered the seeds.  I have lots of space, so I put my rows 5 feet apart, and planted pieces 12-18" apart.

This Ford tractor will be good for cultivating.  I removed the battery, and now I can look through the frame down the center line and see what I am straddling.

• twostep said thank you

#25 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 05:11 PM

My gardens are looking good!  The raised bed in the front yard is feeding us lettuce, kale, and spinach.  Today I planted some Spinach Mustard.  It is a mustard that tastes like spinach, and is supposed to do well in hot weather,

The big garden at home is giving green onions and spinach, a week or two until peas are ready.

The garden at the farm has my potatoes, which I have hilled twice.  I used two 10" furrowers on the Brinly cultivator.  I planted my dry beans, too.  I tried black turtle, yin yang, cow peas, pinto, and great northern.  I planted over 2 pounds of bean seeds, so I should end up with too many! 

No pics of the farm garden until next weekend, but I took a video of the garden at home.

• twostep and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#26 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:45 PM

After working two weeks straight, I made it up to the farm this weekend.  The garden is growing well, and the weeds were not too bad.

The potatoes are starting to bloom.  The dry beans, beets, peanuts, and zucchini are up.

I cultivated with the Ford 80 and Brinly cultivator.  I bought small peanut sweeps from AgriSupply.  I found that with my lumpy soil, the peanut sweeps sometimes buried the small seedlings.  So, I moved the peanut sweeps to the outside, and the 2" sweeps to the center.  I also broke a keeper on my cultivator, so now I am down to three.  I did the job with an eye bolt, but it does not hold tight enough, and the shank tended to twist.

I also found that a rear mount cultivator is hard to use when my rows were not perfectly straight.  When I had to turn my front end right, the cultivator swings left.  I am glad I removed the battery from this tractor, because it is nice to see the crop through the frame rails.

Between the cultivator and my hoe, I got most of the weeds.  The only weeds left are in a row of something that is slow to sprout, because I can't see the crop at all in the weeds.  That section might get hoed completely and replanted or mulched.

We have had lots of rain lately.  The weeds are really growing in our pasture.  I might buy a big tractor and rotary mower this week, so the pastures can be mowed to let the grass compete with the weeds.

Our neighbor cut a few acres of our hay Thursday, planning to bale Monday.  Well, it got rained on all day today.

At home, I ate my first beets this week, and peas are filling out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6-16-13 001.JPG
  • 6-16-13 003.JPG
  • 6-16-13 007.JPG
  • 6-16-13 005.JPG
  • 6-16-13 006.JPG

Edited by bja105, June 16, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#27 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 11:02 AM

The garden at the farm is very wet. We had flooding in the area this week, neighbors measured six inches of rain. Our horse's troughs were full, even the one not under the drip edge of the shed. The wheel barrow was full. We had two more inches last night. The garden is too wet to work in. I need to weed the beets and thin the beans.
Peanuts, zucchini, peppers.
image.jpg
Peppers with fruit, a new accomplishment for us.
image.jpg
Potatoes and dry beans.
image.jpg
Dry beans.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Landscape fabric with pumpkins, other squashes, and melons, new planting last week.
image.jpg
Compost pile squash. Could be spagetti, blue Hubbard, or pumpkin, or a cross.

Compost makers.
image.jpg
  • twostep said thank you

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 11:09 AM

That's really looking good. It's been really wet and cool here lately as well which seems to be slowing things down a bit. 

#29 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 06:56 PM

We had potatoes and beets for dinner! Yukon Gold, yum. The taters are no where near ready, but I dug a few.
I have been giving beets away, since my first planting is getting too big, and the other three platings are coming. I planted too many beets!

I also hand weeded the dry beans and beets at the farm, plus thinned the dry beans.

#30 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I harvested the first carrots and cucumbers yesterday and today.  Also harvesting cabbage, broccoli, and zucchini.  I harvested about 10 zucchini before the squash vine borers killed the last plant today.  I have a second crop of zucchini and crook neck squash coming up, they should miss the borer's season.  I hope they don't move to the cucumbers, I have quite a large crop.  I also planted a second crop of cucumbers, where the peas had been.

I also ate a few undersized green beans.  They should be big enough to pick by Monday.  My child labor gang is ready to go.

My wife canned pickled beets this week.  That was her first try at it, they turned out very good.

• Alc said thank you