• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Not much, so far!  I have 4 varieties of peppers, 5 of tomatoes, plus eggplant and tomatillo started on a heated mat.  Tonight or tomorrow I will start some broccoli and cabbage.  I'll probably start far too many and give lots away.

Yesterday, the garden here at home had standing water and some snow on it.  We are to warm up this weekend, and after Easter it will be dry and sunny, so I might get into the garden next weekend.  I still need to buy a new fence to keep the chickens and deer out, but I haven't found anything cheap enough, but tougher than the deer net I used before.  The home garden will be 40x50, plus a 4x8 raised bed in the front yard.

At the family farm, an hour away, I have another garden.  Last year it was 40x100, this year I might double it.  At the farm, I use electric fence to keep our horses out.  The deer don't mess with it, too close to the road.

Besides the peppers and tomatoes, I have 45 pounds of seed potatoes, peanuts, 4 varieties of watermelon, pumpkins, various winter squash, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, peas, many dry and green beans, and a few more.

I was working on my Brinly cultivator last night, cutting, bending, and drilling new round stock for shanks.  I have lots of shanks and blades, and stole someones idea of eye bolts instead of stock keepers.  I made a way to mount a furrower in the center.  I have a 10" Brinly plow, an unknown 8" plow, a plow converted to a single ripper shank, and two spring tooth harrows.  Gardening tractors this year will be my repowered Ford 80 and my Cub Cadet 147.  I still might build a tool bar hiller. 

We like pictures, so here are random pics from previous years.

Attached Thumbnails

• plowing8.jpg
  • 9-22-12 harvest 001.JPG
  • 9-22-12 harvest 002.JPG
  • 9-22-12 harvest 003.JPG
  • 424622_4679655796204_825187669_n.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:45 PM

How do your peanuts turn out or is it your first year growing them?

#3 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Last summer was my first time with peanuts.  I did a wide bed, and I amended the clay with a ton or so of sand.  The wide bed was a mistake, since it was hard to weed, and allowed the vole lots of cover.  The voles got more peanuts than I did.

This year, I will do long rows, weeding with the cultivator on the tractor.  Some people hill peanuts like potatoes, I might try that.

I also plan to trap rodents in the garden before they do much damage.

The sand was to loosen the soil.  Peanuts flower on stalks above ground, then the stalk bends down and grows the seed into the soil.  It does better in sand than clay.  I had such good luck with sand in that part, I plan to buy a triaxle load for the rest of the garden.  That might be next year.

• Nato77 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 12:06 AM

The wife and I have talked about trying to grow peanuts but haven't ever found anyone by us that has done it. The way it sounds our soil might to heavy (blackdirt with a little clay). I'll have to do some more research.

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 12:36 AM

We've tried peanuts a couple of times but no luck- not good luck anyway, lol . I guess it's just too short and cold a season for them here, but last years' sweet potatoe experiment was delcious. Go figure!

• Team_Green and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 01:21 AM

I grew peanuts one year, they are an interesting plant to grow. I harvested probably a 5 gallon bucket full.

FYI peanuts are more of a southern crop, and likes hot weather.

Edited by Amigatec, March 29, 2013 - 01:22 AM.

• Jordan9682 said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Taking care of one garden is a lot of work but two !!   Hope you have help ,   I grew peanuts one year  but didn't roast them correctly and they tasted like crap so that was the last  time .

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Nice to see everyone making plans for this years crops. I can just see part of mine now that the snow is melting here. It'll be at least another 6 weeks before we think about planting. 

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Went out this morning and checked the garden plot. top 4 inches is mud and then I hit frost.
Seed company deleveredsome blueberrie plants yesterday so I am anxious to get them in the ground,
I am guessing it will be two weeks before I can get in the garden.
I walked around outside and Deer have chewed up one Peach tree will have to see if it recovers.
I transplanted a bunch of red raspberries last year and wont know if they survived for a while.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 29, 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#10 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Tonight I started Broccoli, Kale, Celery, Cabbage, Spinach, Lettuce, Kohlrabi, and Tobacco.  Its my first time for the Celery, Kale, and Tobacco.  I don't use Tobacco, but it seems fun to try, maybe I can trade some.  It is a chewing Tobacco.

Most of the Tomatoes are sprouted, planted on 3/25.  I need to get them under lights soon, but the lights are in a cooler place than the house, and the peppers in the same tray are not up yet.  I don't want to slow the peppers sprouting by moving them to the cool garage.  Does anyone know how long I can delay putting the sprouted tomatoes under lights?

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Great gardening pictures.  Thanks for sharing them. I'm gonna start some plants pretty soon. 

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 04:47 AM

Tonight I started Broccoli, Kale, Celery, Cabbage, Spinach, Lettuce, Kohlrabi, and Tobacco.  Its my first time for the Celery, Kale, and Tobacco.  I don't use Tobacco, but it seems fun to try, maybe I can trade some.  It is a chewing Tobacco.

Most of the Tomatoes are sprouted, planted on 3/25.  I need to get them under lights soon, but the lights are in a cooler place than the house, and the peppers in the same tray are not up yet.  I don't want to slow the peppers sprouting by moving them to the cool garage.  Does anyone know how long I can delay putting the sprouted tomatoes under lights?

I grew celery with hydroponics a couple of years ago, it wasn't to bad. As far as lights on the seedlings, I place mine under lights as soon as they sprout.

#13 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I got the garden plowed today. I'll put up some pics later.

#14 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I "adapted" (hacked) a Cub Cadet sleeve hitch to fit on the frame of the Ford 80.  I have an 8" plow, formerly slot hitch, that I welded on a sleeve hitch yoke.  I must have a bit of an angle, since the plow does not follow the tractor straight.  Even at its far right hole, the plow leaves a strip unturned between furrows.  I switched to my 10" Brinly plow.  I didn't know if it would work, since the 8 HP Kohler had been replaced by a 6.5 HP Harbor Freight Predator.  I shouldn't have worried, it pulled just fine (in my existing garden.)  I measured my furrow depth, it was 7 inches in the deepest parts, but mostly 5-6 inches.  That makes me happy, since I could never get that deep with my rear tine rototiller.

I never lost traction on the dirt or winter wheat, but I did stop and spin with the plow at its deepest when I hit the sand I had spread last week.  The tractor has stock 6-12 turf tires, chains, and 45 pound wheel weights.

I did start out having problems with a light front end.  The new engine is half the weight of the old one, maybe less.  I also got rid of the battery, wiring, and starter generator.  I couldn't steer with the plow engaged, and It also wanted to turn right with the 8" plow.  I used the front blade bracket to clamp on some scrap.  It made a big difference.

It was warm today, 54, then rain tomorrow, followed by three nights in the twenties.  The freeze/thaw should loosen it, then I'll spring tooth harrow it and plant.

My tomatoes that sprouted yesterday were followed by the first of the peppers today.  I just moved them to the garage and the lights.  I was surprised how leggy the tomatoes got in one day of searching for light.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-30-13 032.JPG
  • 3-30-13 034.JPG
  • 3-30-13 035.JPG
  • 3-30-13 036.JPG
  • 3-30-13 037.JPG
  • 3-30-13 038.JPG

• KennyP, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#15 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:21 PM

The garden is a bit bigger than last year, about 45x45.  I also got 9 more buckets of sand and 200' of deer netting.

• twostep said thank you