20 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Look at this repair job.
I do electrical work for a major pizza chain, corporate stores and franchised stores.
Today I was out fixing signs and at my last stop I went in to turn the sign on and saw this tile repair.
Broken & missing ceramic floor tiles, no problem, we gots duct tape !!
Wonder if they will pass their next county health inspection ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364513581.060726.jpg
Besides electrical work, I've done a lot of other maintenance work over the years for them. Including tile repair. I've got cases of this tile in stock, you'd THINK they would have asked me to fix it ? Nope, they will wait till they get a fine and are threatened to be shut down. Then I will be called for that.
I've seen lots of rigged up fixes over the years, but nothing this funny.
Must have used 2 or 3 rolls of tape. Lol
  • hamman, backwoods, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:39 PM

What are they thinking? I think that a pic of that needs to be sent to corporate...

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Seems to be a high traffic area.

No wonder you haven't been keeping us up to date. You're off gallivanting about doing that 'work' thing. How dare you, sir. Knock it off and post some wood splitting pics of your retirement age buddy doing all the work.

#4 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Seems to be a high traffic area.

No wonder you haven't been keeping us up to date. You're off gallivanting about doing that 'work' thing. How dare you, sir. Knock it off and post some wood splitting pics of your retirement age buddy doing all the work.

It's a very high traffic area. The door in the pic is to the walk-in cooler. Lots of stuff on dollies is rolled in and out daily.

I took my "retired buddy" with me today. I needed help loading the HT-23 mower deck in the van and two more 4 x 10' SS sheets that I was given by the GC I work for.

Made $$ today and got more free stuff. It was a great day.
  • Team_Green and pigsitter have said thanks

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:49 PM

What you don't know... Is that is really a trap door.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Ken, maybe a opportunity for you ? Time to talk to who's in charge of buildings and come up with a check list of things that you could be checking/repairing while there or at an later date, after showing him/her this photo.

Friend of mine does " corporate hvac maintenance" for a large national chain, and they came up with something like this, worked out well for him, mostly during the slow times.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Worse thing is, I know a guy who would do that.  :wallbanging:  To think I actually admitted it!

Ben W.

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ken, maybe a opportunity for you ? Time to talk to who's in charge of buildings and come up with a check list of things that you could be checking/repairing while there or at an later date, after showing him/her this photo.
Friend of mine does " corporate hvac maintenance" for a large national chain, and they came up with something like this, worked out well for him, mostly during the slow times.

Corporate stores yes, I have to ok to fix stuff like this ASAP

This was a franchised store, the owner has over 50 stores. They don't fix NOTHING unless they have too. You'd love to see their HVAC stuff. Filters ? Why do you have to change those ? It's disgusting to see how they let things go, often simple things are ignored to save $$ which in the long run costs them 10 X's more.

Corporate sold some of the stores in the NJ, PA and De markets to this guy. Why ? Who knows. I just make $$ when I'm called, which is less and less these days. As you know, it's hard to pay the bills with service calls here & there. I make my $$ wiring new stores, and they've slowed up of late.
  • pigsitter said thank you

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:42 PM

You'd love to see their HVAC stuff. Filters ? Why do you have to change those ? It's disgusting to see how they let things go, often simple things

Even worst than filters is ice machines, usually have black mold slime growing in them :( , they always say drinks are on the house, thanks but no thanks , if the general public only knew what goes on behind the scenes  :bigrofl:

#10 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:55 PM

thats deffinetly the most interesting repair

#11 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Even worst than filters is ice machines, usually have black mold slime growing in them :( , they always say drinks are on the house, thanks but no thanks , if the general public only knew what goes on behind the scenes  :bigrofl:

I've not done any commercial refrigeration in several years and there are still some restaurants I won't go eat in because of what I saw! :(         

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 12:43 AM

That's Red Greening it to the limit I'd say. And yeah, we don't eat out much for those very reasons-- they say that half the cases of flu in the country are really food poisoning, and I don't doubt it.

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 01:11 AM

They just opened a new PJ's up here...  Was going to try it but after this thread no thanks.. Any of you guys show up at my door step i will feed you the best steak dinner you have ever had. Corn on the cob, spud, peas, garlic toast and a choice of beer, rye or irish whiskey..  (cola if you don't drink or under age)..  we could even do moose sausages over the fire pit... 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Ummm.... does that guy own any of the stores in my area?????

I'm envisioning a new product line for 3M......
  • Team_Green said thank you

#15 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Ummm.... does that guy own any of the stores in my area?????

I'm envisioning a new product line for 3M......

Nope, different guy in your area.

I actually spoke to the "area manager" for this store about 15 mins ago.
He told me its only a "temporary fix" lol, I hope so.

They have a major roof leak in that area of the store and the roof is the landlords responsibility. Once that is fixed, they want me to come replace all the broken & missing floor tiles.

I can tell you a story about a Dunkin Donuts store we remodeled about 14 years ago that would make you NEVER want to eat a donut again.

I love their coffee, but I'm not eating the donuts.

This is based off of one store, I'm 99.9% sure most are different. Or I'd like to think so.