I got the rebuilt rototiller buttoned up and into the garden today. It was really too wet, so I only made one pass fairly fast to loosen up the soil for faster drying. Had no problems, so I must have done most of the repairs on the tiller and tractor right. It was easy to sink it up to the tine shaft and putt along at half throttle on this first pass.
The work today was only to look for anything that might still need attention and I did find a few things yet to do. The tiller is fine. The tractor ran nicely and handles MUCH better with the steering work and new Tri-Ribs on the front. I only have 70 pounds of front weights on it, 'cause I'm still waiting for a new bracket to hang my suitcase weights. It handled pretty well as-is, until I tried to take off too fast uphhill and the front end lifted a bit.
My ammeter is acting erratic, sometimes showing 10 amps charging, and most of the time not showing anything, so I have a loose connection or something there. I don't have the lights wired up yet and there are several wires need replaced. I think the heat problem was taken care of with the new (used) muffler with more hood clearance. I ran it under load for about 45 minutes with no problem on the hood paint or decals. This tractor has a holding valve but does not have a flow control valve, so tilling exercised my left arm, tweaking the ground speed. I'll watch for one of those to come up for sale.
I think I have the loosening steering bolt problem fixed with a dose of brake cleaner, air hose, then some blue Loctite. The steering wheel only has about 2" of dead travel at the rim now, reduced from 3 times that before the overhaul. All the slack is in gear mesh now.
The rebuilt carburetor works flawlessly, and controls well. The new yellow Tygon gas line is a plus, since I can see fuel in it and it is not supposed to harden like the old black stuff. . The repair work on the heat shields seems to have helped several things. The engine heat is down, based on feeling the air coming off the heads and the vapor lock problem seems to be gone, although hot weather will tell the final answer on that, and as I said, the hood is much cooler. The cooler engine may be mostly due to the carb rebuild. I still need to remove the heads and remove any carbon build up, but have to order head gaskets. I have done it the old way, re-using gaskets after cleaning and shoot them with aluminum paint. If you make sure you put the gaskets back exactly as they came off (don't swap to the opposite head!) it works, most of the time, but I'm not that broke at the moment.
Steering is MUCH easier since I rebushed the sector gear and steering column, added the PMPS, Tri-Rib tires, all new tie rod ends, and a steering knob. That helps keep from irritating that bad rotator cuff in my left shoulder!
I'm making a new repair list now for what I still need to do, but it is a LOT shorter than the old list. :)
Edited by machinist, March 28, 2013 - 05:46 PM.