Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 03:09 AM

Also in order to save time, I may just buy one of those 7 HP predator motor from harbor freight for $119.

It also seems the biggest complaint about these is the belt tensioner slid ad they burn up belts. I may buy a centrifugal clutch for it instead.

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Pat , I have a Roto-Hoe chipper/shreader , can't find pics now , I think it's a 800 series , yes I did have a problem with the belt slipping when I got it the tension spring must have been weak but after finding one around the garage the fit I don't have any problems anymore . If this is going to need a motor how about a DB to power it ? While I'm spending your time and $$  you could make it a flat belt drive like the early DB's lol Good Luck with it , Al

• Amigatec said thank you

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Now that's a thought, I could make it self propelled that way.

I have been giving it lots of thought of how to mount this to back of the Cub, I can use the tiller drive that is already on the back, I would have to buy the extended brinly hitch from xtreme motor works, bolt some angle iron on the side, add some straps to keep it from moving up and down. I have thought using a shaft with a pulley on one end for a belt from the tiller drive gearbox, and a pulley on the other end to a pulley on the chipper. I could use the belt tightener to tighten both belts.
  • Alc said thank you

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:42 AM

This is the tiller drive gearbox that bolts to back of the Cub.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#20 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have McKassic "Mighty Mac" chipper. It mounts to the front of my Wheelhorse. Then a short belt runs off the pto pulley on the engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Pat , I have a Roto-Hoe chipper/shreader , can't find pics now , I think it's a 800 series , yes I did have a problem with the belt slipping when I got it the tension spring must have been weak but after finding one around the garage the fit I don't have any problems anymore . If this is going to need a motor how about a DB to power it ? While I'm spending your time and $$  you could make it a flat belt drive like the early DB's lol Good Luck with it , Al

Can you measure the pulleys on your? I believe the rear tiller drive on my Cub spins at 1:1, so I need to figure how slow I need to spin it.

#22 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:37 PM

It will work on the back of the Cub.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#23 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:29 PM

This will be easier than I thought to mount . I will have to make a jackshaft for the offset drive, but it should work out easy. I think I will convert it over to chain drive. I have some #40 chain left from the snowthrower rebuild. The jackshaft will have to be offset about 2" to make it work.

#24 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 01:33 AM

After giving lots of thought, I may have found my first problem. I will have to check the direction of rotation, I believe the rear PTO spins the wrong way, I may be able to twist the belt.

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:49 AM

Don't think it would work to well going the wrong way! Good luck figuring it out!

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:45 AM

Pat I'll  get those sizes tonight was away all weekend , my Roto-Hoe  chipper  belt/pulley  set-up is something I don't think many have see  (at least not me lol)  it uses  a double engine pulley , same sizes two belts , 2 tensioners to 2 different size drive pulleys mounted on what looks like the same shaft , At first thought you would use one speed for the chipper then the other for the flail blades but here's where it gets strange , they must use one solid shaft to run the chipper and a hollow shaft with bearings over that to run the flail blades at a different speed !  Got to get some pictures of that lol

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:01 AM

I have seen pictures of chipper s like that, but trying to get any info on these is like trying to pull hens teeth. The number one request is for a manual on these it seems NOBODY has one.

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Sorry for the lousy pictures , thought you could see the pulleys better with the  guard it covers too much anyway you can see the different sizes 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0236.JPG
  • DSCN0237.JPG
  • DSCN0238.JPG

#29 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 03:10 AM

You say both pulley spin at the same time?

#30 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 05:43 AM

You say both pulley spin at the same time?

Yep!  Pretty strange , the smaller outter one drives the shaft going to the chipper on the other side and the bigger one must have some kind of needle bearings riding on the chippers shaft ! Found out the hard way if you don't run both you made a lot of work for your self . if you try just chipping it just lays in the flail area and if you just use the flail blades it will push little peices back into the chipper wheel and jam them in so tight you almost have to take all apart to unjam it !  What I do is once the engine warms up engage the flail first then the chipper which have a nice size flywheel with it .    It worked great when I had a mountain of large size chips from a " chuck-n-duck"  8" woodchipper , ran them through the flail as fast as I could with a pitchfork , it made very nice mulch for around the house and garden .