• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• Member No: 1653
  • 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:00 AM

My engine shakes bad at mid throttle but at idle and HI is fine.  I read the Kohler shakes should be at Idle?

What would cause mine to shake bad at mid throttle? I have to tear into it this summer because it lost most of it's power and back fires a lot now so thought I would look for the cause of the Shakes too.

Engine is a K301

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for posting. I may not have the answer but look forward to hear what others say. I too have a problem like this on a Onan.

I thaught my timing was off and or carb problem.

#3 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:41 AM

It could mean that you have some slop in your main bearing and it's throwing the cam shaft off and causing it to shake.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:01 AM

A shaking engine USUALLY means there's something out of balance somewhere.  It does it at lower speeds just because the high(er) RPM of the flywheel usually balances it out.  

70% of the time I've had a bad shake in an engine, the crankshaft was bent.  However, that would be worse at higher speeds, so that's probably not your issue.  I had a Briggs run like you are describing, and it was a flywheel out of balance.  Are all the flywheel fins intact? 

Worse case is going to be internal, but I'd imagine its flywheel related.

Ben W.

#5 jwc3232 OFFLINE  

jwc3232
  • Member No: 10402
  • 42 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:12 AM

check your motor mounts they can cause this        jim

#6 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Check the motor mount bolts to make sure they are tightened sufficiently (sp).

I've never owned a case before, if it has the motor mounts like john deere it, it could be a broken motor mount.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 03:22 PM

When you check the flywheel check the crankshaft key too. The vibration and loss of power are probably related. I'd also look at the ignition and the fuel supply. Good Luck, Rick

#8 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Do not over look points&condenser. Condenser's can behave erratic at differant RPMS.

#9 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Is it under load while mid range is cracking up?

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nothing to worry about, now you know why the motor isn't mounted to the frame. Like others have said check the motor mounts/plates for wear/broken. Just about all the Cases I have own,seen and worked on have a "sweet spot" that will make you think it's going to rock and roll thru the hood. :D

P.S. For the loss of power, start with a leak-down test, could be just need head de-carboning and a good tune-up. :thumbs:

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:37 PM

If you don't find the problem from the above post. When you tear it down look at the balance gears.And the decompression device.  

#12 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 09:37 PM

First thing I thought was Condenser and replaced it with a new one didn't help. At the same time I needed a new Key Switch and replaced that. I bought it with the shake two years ago with figuring I would run it to it blows LOL. I was thinking head gasket but the Back Firing has me confused. When I shut it down now sometimes it will back fire after the motor stops which has me thinking timing?

Do not over look points&condenser. Condenser's can behave erratic at differant RPMS.

It always shook since I got it  a few years back. I drained the oil when I first got it and could see a sparkle to the oil making me think rod wear?

But everyones post on here gives me a lot to think about and look for thanks.

Would Bad motor mounts be completely torn? I have a few that look dry rotted and the other two look good.

And by Shakes I mean the hood rattles and you can see it shaking at mid throttle just doesn't seem right to me but has done it since I have had it.

Is it under load while mid range is cracking up?

Edited by greenmeanie, March 28, 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#13 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I read up on leak down test and found out I would need a compressor  :wallbanging:

But that would help figure out the problem for sure.

I did a dry compression test and got a 70 on it. But that really doesn't help with decompression on the engine.

Nothing to worry about, now you know why the motor isn't mounted to the frame. Like others have said check the motor mounts/plates for wear/broken. Just about all the Cases I have own,seen and worked on have a "sweet spot" that will make you think it's going to rock and roll thru the hood. :D

P.S. For the loss of power, start with a leak-down test, could be just need head de-carboning and a good tune-up. :thumbs:

#14 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 03:00 AM

As for the Onan statement...

I would guess your Onan is running on one cylinder due to a broken rod or the fly-wheel may be loose. A properly running Onan should be super smooth, way better than any Kohler ever was.

When the engine is running see if one or both exhaust pipes get hot. If one gets hot and the other does not then you'll know. Another way is to pull the spark plugs stick a wire through the hole and turn the engine over by hand and see if the wire moves.

Thanks for posting. I may not have the answer but look forward to hear what others say. I too have a problem like this on a Onan.

I thaught my timing was off and or carb problem.

Edited by Mjoe7, March 29, 2013 - 03:09 AM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#15 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 03:08 AM

I would replace your engine mounts regardless of what you may find wrong with the engine. The Kohlers shake bad that's why they put rubber mounts on the frames.  Try here... McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster....-mounts/=m336sj has them at the best price. Around $10.00 each. Ingersoll sells them for $40.00 each.

My engine shakes bad at mid throttle but at idle and HI is fine.  I read the Kohler shakes should be at Idle?

What would cause mine to shake bad at mid throttle? I have to tear into it this summer because it lost most of it's power and back fires a lot now so thought I would look for the cause of the Shakes too.

Engine is a K301

• greenmeanie said thank you