• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 axeman OFFLINE  

axeman
  • Member No: 31624
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi Folks, Just bought a new LAWN Tractor. I know there is a difference between that and a Garden Tractor. I have a question however; about towing capacity.

Ariens sells many accessories for my tractor specifically including a lawn roller. I contacted Ariens to ask them the towing capacity to determine what size roller I should purchase, or how much water I should add for weight. They told me that my mower only has a towing capacity of 150lbs.

My tractor is as follows:

Ariens 46 in. 22 V-Twin HP Briggs & Stratton Automatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower
Model # 960460056

Does anyone have any insight? I thought if anything braking would be something to keep an eye on.

Alex

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully one of the folks more familiar with your tractor can pick up on this!

• larryd said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Welcome axeman to GTTalk !   I can't help you with your question but undersatnd your concerns , sure don't want to break something on a brand new machine , guessing what the dealer said of  150lb sounds safe as far as them wanting to waranty the tractor  . A  20 gl water filled lawn roller would be over that though , maybe someone will be of more help , Al

• larryd said thank you

#4 axeman OFFLINE  

axeman
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Welcome axeman to GTTalk !   I can't help you with your question but undersatnd your concerns , sure don't want to break something on a brand new machine , guessing what the dealer said of  150lb sounds safe as far as them wanting to waranty the tractor  . A  20 gl water filled lawn roller would be over that though , maybe someone will be of more help , Al

I was thinking they're playing it safe too. They specifically sell a roller for my model, that's the confusing part. Thanks to both for welcoming me.

• larryd said thank you

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:41 AM

ok i work at homedepot so I should be able to help.  accoding to ariens this tractor is made for heavy hauling, lawn maintenance, mowing, and snow removel.  There for it is made to pull a cart that is rated for 600 pounds.  The tractor should have no problem pulling a 20gal roller.

heres a website with more info. http://www.homedepot...#specifications

• Alc, Michiganmobileman and larryd have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I just did a search for the roller. It's capacity is 400 lbs.

http://www.homedepot...#specifications

• larryd said thank you

#7 axeman OFFLINE  

axeman
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:50 AM

You guys are great and are in line with what I was thinking! I sincerely appreciate your help.

• A.C.T. and larryd have said thanks

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Any chance they misunderstood your question & gave you the tongue weight rating instead of the towing capacity?

• larryd said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:02 AM

As others have said, welcome to the site. Your mower will be able to pull the roller, your concern should be the terrain it's getting towed over and the amount of time you spend doing it continuously. With the lighter duty transmissions, the main culprit with failure is overheating. If your yard is large or extremely hilly, keep an eye on the temp of the transmission. If it seems warm by placing your hand close to it, then you should give it a break. I don't mean to infer that rolling your yard once will kill the mower, but rather overheating the transmission will shorten it's life.

I cannot find the actual brand and model of transmission used in your model online, I'm just guessing it's a non-serviceable unit. Keeping it clean of debris to maximize it's cooling ability is key.

• Alc and larryd have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:07 AM

It is really hard to say. Any sepcified ratings have to be tempered with common sense. The Terrain has to be a big consideration too.

My property is one big hill and that limits towing capacity and keeping things under control. I have pulled  my 5 X8 ft trailer heaping with grass clippings with my Rail Frame Murray(it has a Tuff Torque K 66 with 1" axles) but that was pushing it. I have also pulled a 4 ft tooth harrow with it and had problems with wheelspin(but that was turning uphill).  As long as you stay with garden rated attatchments and operate with some sense you should have no problem.

It's when you start Rammin & Jammin that you will get in trouble. Or when the load exceeds the traction capabilities of your machine.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 28, 2013 - 08:11 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#11 axeman OFFLINE  

axeman
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:16 AM

This info is great. I'm sitting on 3/4 acre with a very mild grade for run-off. The lawn is brand new and with the exception of a rock hound and hydroseeding, has no compaction whatsoever. I need to get it flattened out a bit.

I bought the tractor because it was specified for heavy hauling. I feel much better with everyones feedback.

Thanks again for everything!

Alex

• larryd said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Welcome to GTT. We like pictures. Lets see the new toy and the yard. Good Luck, Rick

• larryd said thank you

#13 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:13 AM

I think the ones that suggested the transmission is were I was going to go, if your property is flat you should be o.k. but once that hills get in the way you could be in trouble.

Welcome to GTTalk.

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#14 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 12:41 PM

A freind of mine pulls a 4x6 trailer with an ariens . Not ssure if its same as yours. He goes up and down a raamp from his boat dock with lake toys etc. but brakes are his concern.

larryd

#15 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:30 PM

1 gal. of water @ 62 deg. F weighs 8.336 lbs.   20 gals of water would be 166.72 lbs.

Welcome to GTtalk

Edited by Grumpy, March 28, 2013 - 05:43 PM.

• larryd said thank you