• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teyhan1 OFFLINE  

teyhan1

• Member No: 1281
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well I went and bought an Ariens GT17. How do you tell if it is a series 1 Kohler engine. It comes with a snow plough which I doubt has ever been used as in the south of the U.K. we rarely ever get any significant snow (maybe 1-5 cm per winter). It's a rare tractor over here and getting any implements, FORGET IT!! I'm going to get it up and running with a 3-point linkage but I could do with a good wiring loom and a switch that actuates the rear pto. Can anyone help? I paid £450 with the snow plough and a towed sweeper included. I'll post some photo's soon.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 02:18 PM

Sounds like you got it for a pretty good deal. I don't know what the pounds to dollar conversion is without looking it up. If you don't get much snow over there maybe the blade might have been used to level dirt at one time? Either that or without getting too much snow a blade is perfect for clearing smaller amounts of snow.

As for the parts I can't help ya there but hopefully someone who can will chime in.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Congratulations Teyhan1! That sounds like a pretty good deal! That's about $715 U.S. If you're happy then it was worth it! Can't wait to see the pics!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 03:48 PM

Congrats teyhan1 on your purchase.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Well I went and bought an Ariens GT17. How do you tell if it is a series 1 Kohler engine?...

I think It's by serial number... guys help me out here...

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 08, 2010 - 07:45 AM

I'm not familiar with a "series 1" engine. In the U.S. there's a tag somewhere on the fan housing that has a Model #, a Spec #, and a Serial #. Using the Kohler engines website you can determine the year of the engine. I'll post the link to the site and maybe you can find what you need from there.
Kohler Engines: Home
Use the "engines" drop down menu on the left. Good luck!

#7 teyhan1 OFFLINE  

teyhan1

• Member No: 1281
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 08, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Sorry for the confusion on the Kohler engine. It is of course a KT17 engine. There seems to be a little trouble with earlier engines that were throwing rods when on an incline. I think it's something to do with it not being a full pressure lube system.

#8 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 11, 2010 - 02:29 AM

you can tell several way. First spec number over 2403, but most visible is dipstick AND separate oil fill tube with a cap not a screw on nut. It actually should say on the side tin series 11 if it doesn't it's probably a series 1. keep a pint extra oil in it and avoid running on incline

#9 FF24GT6000Man OFFLINE  

FF24GT6000Man

• Member No: 2616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:15 PM

Congrats on the purchase! I had a GT17. Man that was a sweet tractor, really heavy duty. Too bad the engine became toast and the previous owners cut a bunch of wiring so you couldn't use the deck or any PTO without the thing stalling.

#10 FF24GT6000Man OFFLINE  

FF24GT6000Man

• Member No: 2616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:16 PM

Was a great tractor, though. Had a 48" Shaft drive deck, 3pt hitch provisions, hyd lift, rear and front PTO. It was a bad machine!