• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 02:59 AM

I stumbled on a deal on a pair of brand new Carlisle 23-8.50-12 tires for my 3410 last weekend.

I got them all mounted up on some fresh painted 7" rims and they look small.
With 20 psi in the tires I get 21.5" tall (ground to lug corner), and 7 5/8" tread width, (8" flat overall width).

They're smaller than the original Goodyear turf tires they replaced that came with this thing.

I've run both BKT and Tru Powers on my other tractors and in the 23x10.50-12 size the Carlisle tires run true to the marked size, but I guess that isn't the case with the 23x8.50-12 tires?

Could there be counterfeit Carlisle tires now?

They look different than the others I've had, these are sort of textured not smooth like my other Carlisle Tru Powers that I bought last year. The older set is smooth, but the new set has sort of an orange peel texture.

• larryd said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Possibly "blems"?

• larryd said thank you

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 08:39 AM

It would surprise me if there weren't counterfeits. :smilewink:

You didn't say what model Carlisle tire you got but I just browsed their website and and all 23x8.50 tires were shown as being close to 23".  The lugged tires all show a 22.6" mounted diameter and the turfs were even a bit taller.

Edited by Canawler, March 27, 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 09:56 AM

I am with Jim on this. It would not surprise me one bit that there are copied tires being reproduced with Carlisle's name on them.

#5 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:29 AM

With max pressure in the tires, 22 psi, the overall ballooned measurement is still under 22".

I attached two pics. The most noticeable difference between these and others I've had is the texture. All previous Tru Powers have been smooth, these have the texture of an orange peel.

The smell of the rubber is different too, they have a creosote type smell like tires from HF.

I can't complain to much because of the price but I'm a bit disappointed in the overall diameter.

I don't mind them being narrow, but loss of ground clearance is tough for a machine I use in the garden.

What I'd like to see is an 850 width tire in a full, true 23" diameter, or even a bit larger, but I've not seen one yet in a 12" tire. It seems to maintain full height I'd have to go with a 23x10.50-12 tire.

The original Goodyear Terra tread turf tires were close to 22.5" overall.
The first thing I noticed with the Tru Powers is that these have a more rounded tread when inflated, even at lower pressure. They are mounted on 7" rims.

I'm not sure at this point if these are just a different batch or did they start making these somewhere else. I've had Tru Power tires with the Duro logo as well, those, like the other Carlisle branded tires were shiny smooth rubber. These are dull and rough looking. The rubber is softer than the others I've got here. The others range in age up to almost 10 years old but I still have a pair of never mounted older Carlisle 26x26-12 Tru Powers here that are smooth textured and much harder rubber. My guess is that these new tires won't last as long but may have decent traction.

Only time will tell.

219ytyq.jpg

27ywil3.jpg

13z28sk.jpg

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Your best bet on all this is simply to email Carlisle Tire about it.  They have a link on their website to email customer service.  I used it a few weeks ago and someone got back to me the next day with an answer to my question.  I would ask about the possibility of the tires being counterfeit as they don't meet Carlisle's size specs and see what they say.

Also, there should be a date and factory code stamped into one of the sidewalls.  I think I can see it in your last picture but I can't read it.  That would obviously tell you where and when they were made.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:38 AM

This is a post I made in another thread last month relating to tire codes.

As far as tire codes go, on DOT approved car and truck tires there is a 10 digit (I think) alphanumeric code on one side of the tire. The first two digits represent the manufacturer and factory and the last four digits are the week of the year and year the tire was made.
I was just looking at some new Chinese tractor tires I bought recently and all they had was the date code and "made in China" molded in with no factory code. I also just got some Carlisle All-Trails and they have C43212 on the side so I'm assuming Carlisle uses a factory code followed by a date code. I'm waiting for a return email from them for confirmation. This website http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm has the tire factory codes. C4 shows as a Dico plant in Clinton, TN which I believe Carlisle acquired from Titan Tire. It's shown on Carlisle's website. The 3212 number represents that the tires were made during the 32nd week of 2012.
I'll also mention http://www.barrystiretech.com for everything you always wanted to know about tires.

#8 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:57 PM

I bought four tires, they all have the following stamps: 432001, then they differ with these stamps, P41, or P42 in a stamped depression, and following date codes, 1512, 1712, 3212, 3412. Both tires have Made in USA molded into the sidewall.

I don't see a factory code for P41 or P42? They shipped each tire separately from the same address, they came over the course of a week even though I ordered them all at once. Shipping was free and I was told they, at that time, had 'unlimited quantities available. They were ordered from here in the USA.

All are identical in size, two are mounted on Vintage Firestone rims that came off my 3012 stamped '1969', and the other two are on two unbranded 7" rims dated 4-197.

All four tires measure identical, I filled the one pair today and mounted them on my 3410, they measure only 21.5" filled, and 20.75 on the tractor with weight. Each tire has 5.5 gallons of washer fluid in it. They are inflated to 18 psi. I tried a lower pressure but had trouble keeping them seated on the rim?

The tires I took off were super tough to unseat, but these tires slipped right on. I can push the bead back pretty far if I really try, I had washer fluid bubbling out until I hit 20 psi on all four tires.

I'm sort of wishing I had gone with two more sets of BKT tires, but I got a super deal on these, Less than 1/3 the best normal online price I could find. They came from a mower parts supplier that sells online.

I didn't actually order Carlisle Tru Powers, They were advertised as Power Tracs, which I would have preferred as i still have one new, odd Power Trac here that I don't have match for.

I have BKT tires on my one AC 410 and on my 7116, and Both Dico and Carlisle Tru Powers on my Bolens.

I will try to call or email Carlisle and see what they say. If they are counterfeits they came branded from a major supplier of small engine parts. They were not sold as blems.

I see various ads that list the following specs on these:

Max Load 1115 lbs/22PSI max  (Mine are inflated to 22PSI)

22.4" Diameter                         ( I get 21.5" overall height)

8.2" wide on 7" rim.                  (I get 7.75 overall width)

Air pressure don't affect standing height much, once they get about 8 psi they hit max diameter unloaded. Adding extra air don't increase size in any direction.

My older Tru Powers are actually on the big side compared to the turfs they replaced several years ago, I was sort of expecting the same thing with these.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ag tires