#1 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:40 AM

Interested in what others use to plant there gardens. Particularly sweet corn.
I grow 5-7 acres of sweet corn back in the late 70s & early 80s. I used an old fixed up Oliver 2 row planter behind my Massey 1855. It was quite a load especially when full of fertilizer. Had to dual the old girl and not fill fertilizer full on the real sandy ground.
Wanting to get back into it a little again. (2 acres)
Been eyeballing the Lampert and Earthways.
I plan on putting 2 units on a 3 point toolbar.
I like the Lampert because of the on board fertilizer.

What's your experience with these unit?
Are there others out there I should look at?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:54 AM

I use the little Earthway hand pusher planters. It does super for beans & other stuff, but with corn the plate isn't right. My corn plate has 4 drops, but I have to tape over every other, just leaving 2 drops. Otherwise it drops corn 4" apart and usually doubles the seed. Years ago, we always hand dropped 2 seeds per, but with today's better germinating seed, I drop only one seed per. They may have changed or offer different corn plates these days. With smaller corn seed, like early varieties, the seed is so small it can drop 3 seeds per. So for the small corn seed, I tape a few layers inside the drop wedge to make it smaller, helping prevent multiple seed drops in one spot.
Hopefully newer plates has resolved this, but I don't know if they have.

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:42 AM

I use the little Earthway hand pusher planters. It does super for beans & other stuff, but with corn the plate isn't right. My corn plate has 4 drops, but I have to tape over every other, just leaving 2 drops. Otherwise it drops corn 4" apart and usually doubles the seed. Years ago, we always hand dropped 2 seeds per, but with today's better germinating seed, I drop only one seed per. They may have changed or offer different corn plates these days. With smaller corn seed, like early varieties, the seed is so small it can drop 3 seeds per. So for the small corn seed, I tape a few layers inside the drop wedge to make it smaller, helping prevent multiple seed drops in one spot.
Hopefully newer plates has resolved this, but I don't know if they have.

I did read in there add that they do offer a blank plant so you can custom make a plate.
Do you think it would work on a tool bar?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:53 AM

They are pretty frail for tool-bar use IMO. Wouldn't take much a a hit on the side when turning to bend them into oblivion. Now if you built a heavier plate steel frame, using the original as a copy guide, then you could put the working innards into it & have a solid planter. But you have to be sure not to goof & put down-force, or the plastic wheel would bust.

#5 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 10:48 AM

They are pretty frail for tool-bar use IMO. Wouldn't take much a a hit on the side when turning to bend them into oblivion. Now if you built a heavier plate steel frame, using the original as a copy guide, then you could put the working innards into it & have a solid planter. But you have to be sure not to goof & put down-force, or the plastic wheel would bust.

Plastic:mecry:
The more I think about it I think maybe I should go with a John Deere Platelees Unit.
Never owned one. What's you opinion on how they would handle the smaller seed of early varieties.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 11:28 AM

Plastic:mecry:
The more I think about it I think maybe I should go with a John Deere Platelees Unit.
Never owned one. What's you opinion on how they would handle the smaller seed of early varieties.

I think they would handle them fine....I think anyway. Never tried them in our JD planter. Ours handles ALL corn seed, regardless of size/shape. No changing anything at all either, just put them in. We've even mixed rounds with flats when finishing up a field on the last and not a problem at all. We have planted a field corn variety with small seed and kinda wrinkly rounded like sweet corn & they plant just great. You might get some double-drop, but that wouldn't be so bad. Easy to adjust the drop distance with the JD planter too.

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:46 PM

I think they would handle them fine....I think anyway. Never tried them in our JD planter. Ours handles ALL corn seed, regardless of size/shape. No changing anything at all either, just put them in. We've even mixed rounds with flats when finishing up a field on the last and not a problem at all. We have planted a field corn variety with small seed and kinda wrinkly rounded like sweet corn & they plant just great. You might get some double-drop, but that wouldn't be so bad. Easy to adjust the drop distance with the JD planter too.

Ya, I think I will put out an APB on a planter and fab myself.

#8 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Ya, I think I will put out an APB on a planter and fab myself.

I have an old steel wheel international pull type with a rope trip. I narrowed the row width and added fertizlers boxes. There are factory planters but the expense is way over my price range. If a person can do some fabrication I would suggest acquiring a cheap old farm planter and adapting. I pull two row 36 inch wide with a Agco Allis 1920H.

#9 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 04:41 PM

I use the beat and chard plate on an earthway and plug tape over every other hole. Bayou gardener showed this trick on u-tube. I think the plate number is 22. Spaced the corn just right. I have also used the corn plate and plugged every other hole as mentioned in previous post. Works good, if every kernal comes through the soil, but the spacing is a little too wide for me. The Earthway is a cheap way to go if time is used to set it. I have one built to go on my Moto Mow tractor.

#10 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• Member No: 2490
  • 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:33 PM

Can you show you built it to work with the tractor? Thanks