Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Gettin there! Got the engine mounted the other day along with some other little things. Maybe try and fire it up tonight.

I was trying to decide on what attachment to do up for the Power Ho and thought about just doing a cultivator, but they're one of the most common attachments for walk behinds. Then last week a friend dropped off a 12BA with a A780-01 Rotary Drive Unit on it (thanks Jeff). Although I haven't ever seen any literature on one for a 12A I figured I'd put the drive unit on just to be different. Only thing is the blades are all rotten for it, so I'll either make some or try and find some.

Michigan 13' 003.jpg Michigan 13' 002.jpg Michigan 13' 001.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#32 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Only thing is the blades are all rotten for it, so I'll either make some or try and find some.

The blades were actually a sickle bar knife section with a bent piece of metal riveted to them to help throw the grass/weeds.

The blades are not fastened tightly to the disc.  ....They are meant to swing out from centrifugal force, but they are able to swing inward if a hard object is encountered.  .....The bolts were drilled & castle nuts were used with cotter pins to prevent the blades from coming off.

I have some pics & dimensions if you need them.

• jdslednut, Alc and Nato77 have said thanks

#33 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I have a few of the knives but are all beat up. I was going to try and drill a sickle knife but I'm thinking a drill bit won't work being there hardened. I'll have to give it a try.

#34 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:59 AM

Looks great!  What did it take to get that thing loosened up?

• Nato77 said thank you

#35 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:13 AM

Looks great!  What did it take to get that thing loosened up?

Just started wiggling and turning. Came loose pretty easy. I don't think there was any moisture in it cause there is nice clean grease starting to work its way out.

#36 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:27 AM

Good. Glad to hear it was easy. I was worried it might be pretty tight.

#37 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Looking good. :thumbs:

• Nato77 said thank you

#38 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Since we are on the subject of weed cutters I thought I'd mention this:

Some interesting info I found was from a dealer newsletter which was dated 1953. There was a paragraph explaining that due to the request of the consumers a blade guard was now made available for the Power Ho weed cutter and sawblade. It covered the back half of the rotating disc to help prevent debris from shooting back at the user.

I never thought these had optional guards but as we all know with Bolens information you learn something new everyday :D

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and Nato77 have said thanks

#39 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Since we are on the subject of weed cutters I thought I'd mention this:

Some interesting info I found was from a dealer newsletter which was dated 1953. There was a paragraph explaining that due to the request of the consumers a blade guard was now made available for the Power Ho weed cutter and sawblade. It covered the back half of the rotating disc to help prevent debris from shooting back at the user.

I never thought these had optional guards but as we all know with Bolens information you learn something new everyday :D

Thats interesting. Now we have something else to look for. I wonder if they actually sold any.

#40 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 01:08 PM

I did get it done for the show, sorta. Was putting it together the day before the show and was putting on the sediment bowl on the tank and it needed to be turned just a bit more. All of the sudden tink! The sodder on the tank let loose. Was not happy and a few choice works were said. I just decided to finish putting it together and bring a trailer queen there.

After I brought it back home tried to resodder the tank fitting but no luck in getting it to seal. Probably have to braze it back together. So I have the thing in a time out for now.

I took a few pics at the show and the pics seem to have disappeared from the camera. Thats the reason for no pics right now.

#41 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:46 AM

Since it's been cold and rainy lately I've had a little time to get back to working with the Power Ho. Gave up on trying to fix the leaky gas tank and mounted a different one. I'll get around to painting it this winter (hopefully).

It impressed me she fired right up on the first pull with no choke! I left it run for a good half hour up on blocks (to get the belt wore in a bit) tonight. That should be long enough for a break in period I think.

Started to get some wheel weights on the wheels for doing a little plowing this weekend if I'm not helping my buddy in the field. If anyone has a manual or a pic of a plow for a 12A I would appreciate them posting a pic of it. Somebody along the line decided to cut off a few pieces of flat iron on it that are needed but don't know for sure how they are suppose to go.

039.JPG 040.JPG

I found a couple of pics from the show I went to back in August of the walk behinds I brought.

159.JPG 160.JPG

• Bolens 1000, jdslednut and Alc have said thanks