• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MiketheHeadlessChicken OFFLINE  

MiketheHeadlessChicken
  • Member No: 31411
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have a 1985 Kubota G4200 H, it is a fuel sippin 2 cyl diesel. It came with nothing, learned in New England there isn't much used Kubota attachments for it, BUT I am holding out hope that I can use the Hydrostatic transmission to get a hydraulic lift for a custom 3 point hitch assembly and run some ground engagement attachments, skid some logs, make the most of this tractor...

When I posted on Google, How can I run hydraulics from a Hydrostatic transmission?

It brought me to this forum, there was 5 pages of posts and back and forth between members on this subject, nothing that answered my question though, and most of it was dated and not specific to my Kubota....

So refresh on the question, is it possible for me to get some "live" hydraulics from from tractor, and of so how?

FYI so far I added a custom exhaust as the Kubota dealer wanted $180 for stock. Mine cost me $60, $35 for the muffler and $25 for a custom flange. Savings priceless! Then the fuel pump went...again $100+ from the dealer and I got a 12V universal on Ebay for $16...my engine doesn't know any better....

Looking for practical, utilitarian advice, on what I know to be a complex subject.

3 pt.jpg

• larryd said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Mike, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you found us.

There will be a few guys come by in a little to answer your question. I'm not up on what Hydro the Kubota uses, but I'm sure like most all the other makes, there is a port to pick up live hydraulics off of.

• larryd said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:38 PM

Welcome to GTt,

I looked up the tractor spec's and couldn't fine what I really needed. But with that said, I think you may get a little out of it but not much. If you could get much out of it I'm sure the factory would have done it when new. If you don't plan on using a deck for grass cutting, I'm thinking may be better to just add a hyd. pump and run it off the tractor PTO, plenty of power that way.

P.S. If you get sick of that tractor and it needs a good home let me know, :D

P.S.S. What part of MA?

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think so .... but i am Not sure it all deppends on the Hydro (i think its a eaton 11) but you would have to conferm that your hydro is a 11 how ever the pressure is only 500-800 psi i added hydraulics on my bolens 1256D diesel project ...

http://gardentractor...ens-1256/page-4

And welcome to Gt talk

Best of luck

Cheers

Tyler

Edited by 8tyman8, March 25, 2013 - 10:43 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#5 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:21 AM

:welcome:

I don't think that it has an Eaton 11 with only 12 hp on tap. At that level, most hydros did not have onboard hydraulics available short of a complete added auxilliary.system.

I added such a system to a MF12H 35 years ago using a GM power steering pump and cylinder and a spool valve set. The pump should be inexpensive, but cylinders and valves can run a bill or two, and hoses can be surprisingly pricey.

You might have some luck on ebay or CL, once you know what parameters you want to deal with.

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:44 AM

I never saw an Eaton 11 on a Kubota in my life. All that I have seen had the diesels driving a right angled gear box to a vertical shafted hydro tranny llike the box store stuff... These looked to be a bit heavier ,but not much... and were not really designed for ground engaging attachments. So I don't think it may be possible to tap off your hydro tranny. Your best bet would be a 12 volt pump unit like WheelHorse/Toro used on there 263 series tractors .

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:14 AM

:welcome:

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your project.

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Can't help you much except if hyd of your hydro won't work maybe a 12volt linear actuator for the rear lift ? 

#10 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:23 AM

I can't help with the Hydraulics question.. However Welcome to GT Talk

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Welcome to gTTalk. The hitch in your photo uses an electric actuator to lift. That may be a reasonable choice for you as it is much easier to implement than tapping into the hydraulics and adding control valves if that is even possible. You may want to do a bit more research into the limitations of the transmission and what that means for your plans to use ground engaging attachments. 

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! 

I agree with those who said put a hydraulic pump on the PTO.  Garden hydrostatic pump/drive systems aren't really equipped with a large enough reservoir to handle other uses.  However, I may be wrong.

Ben W.

#13 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 12:09 PM

I never saw an Eaton 11 on a Kubota in my life. All that I have seen had the diesels driving a right angled gear box to a vertical shafted hydro tranny llike the box store stuff... These looked to be a bit heavier ,but not much... and were not really designed for ground engaging attachments. So I don't think it may be possible to tap off your hydro tranny. Your best bet would be a 12 volt pump unit like WheelHorse/Toro used on there 263 series tractors .

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6b5b0f0c

Also there is a spot to mount a hydraulic pump to the engine ....

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I did a bit of Google searching, and it appears that the G4200  did have a CAT 0 3-pt as an option. 

#15 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:46 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6d91076c

i think this is the Hydro ... ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydrostatic drive, hydraulics, custom hydraulics, modified hydraulics