Ok, spent a lot more time today on this hitch. I had planned to build the hitch up rather than try to bend it. When I measured the old hitch, it came out to about .43 inches, thicker than the 3/8ths I thought it was. So I'd already planned on doing some boxing in and reinforcing of whatever I built to make sure it was sturdy. I hadn't been able to find any scrap, and at the end of last week, while I was running to get HVAC parts for someone, I realized the universe was telling me it was time to buy the steel I needed. Why? Because the only place that had the motor I needed was about 1 block away from the steel supplier that I otherwise don't go any where near.
I bought 1/4 x 2 inch and decided to double the sides up, then box the rear in. Here is how the day went:
First, I reamed out the 1/2 inch pipe. This is black iron, the kind you run gas in, so no dangerous galvanizing fumes.
Got the pipe reamed out so the pin fits. Cut to length, ready to go:
Welding the top plate to the back plate. I figured starting here would give me the best foundation to build it true.
Here, the first layer of arms is welded up.
Here is the nearly completed hitch:
Here is the completed hitch hooked to the plow:
I missed captioning the completed parts. Here they are, ready to be fitted into place and welded.
Edited by HowardsMF155, March 28, 2013 - 07:52 PM.