Garden Tractor Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peta Needs To Go Fly A Kite...

2K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  pigsitter 
#1 ·
#8 ·
As a mod, I do have to be aware what I say on things like this... But as a person who grew up on a beef farm, I think this young man and his parents should be given the biggest attaboy we can give and I hope they sell every one of those tickets.

And IMHO, The lady who sent that email should be charged with whatever she can be charged with for sending adult materials to a minor.

In case someone missed it, the family does have a Facebook page for the raffle. Search cow raffle and it pops right up.

#9 ·
I used to belong to PETA, believe it or not. Having grown up around family farms, having relatives with a large family farm, I have always appreciated the way the farmers cared for their livestock. All the farmer's I have been privileged to have known have treated their animals properly and humanely.

I did join for a while to help battle some of the abuses that occur on HUGE mega farms. Workers who treat the animals badly and cruelly. To some of them, the animal is just a work object, like a box or similar item. They had enough hidden video to convince me to part with some money to help stop it. After a few years, I saw nothing helping and they even sent a deceptive looking donation request a month before the dues invoice. I could not tell them apart and when I complained, all I got was sorry, you should have read closer. I didn't send in after that.

I never had any rude dealings with anyone and none of the literature ever asked me to commit improper acts or crimes. There are a fringe of extremists that think they are answering a higher cause and do things like the above. Hopefully that person is terminated from the organization.

I hope he sells all the tickets and someone really appreciates the new calf. I'm glad I'm no longer a member of that association, although I still feel somehow embarrassed after reading that story.

#12 ·
I chose to not really comment on it because with people like this I really have trouble not coming off the top turnbuckle.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
If peta has a problem, why don't they gather the money to win the cow at auction?
Cause they want to tell other people what to do and how to live.

EDIT: But at this point, it would be an excellent PR move for PETA to buy the cow for whatever amount the boy needs for his trip simultaneously saving the cow from the butcher and sponsoring the boy's trip.

#18 ·
As someone who spent better than 10 years running a so called "factory farm" I really have a bad attitude towards the peta folks,all I can say to this one is I hope the local prosecutor makes an example of whoever is responsible for sending the boy the inappropriate email.

I always chuckle when I remember the story of the petaheads who decided to liberate some hogs from a large factory hog farm,it was their last attempt at such activity as they were trampled to death by same hogs they liberated!!

Daytime Dave,if it makes you feel any better in the time I spent running pig city we treated our hogs in the most humane way possible and I wouldn't have allowed it to be done any other way,as with most things the bad apples get all the headlines and the good guys get little or no recognition.

#20 ·
I was told some years ago that PETA supported the introduction of a Bill in Illinois to protect farm animals from cruelty. It was dropped after someone figured out that it would prevent farmers from neutering pigs!!!
I'm by no means a farm/country guy, but I did spend a few summers at my aunts farm in Maine when I was a teen.
I learned the true meaning of "Squeal like a pig" helping my uncle neuter a few pigs. It was 40 years ago, and I can still hear them !! I guess I'd squeal too if someone shoved me head first into a 55 gallon drum, held my legs and cut my nads off.

I'm sure it's done differently on big farms.

PETA has sure made the news with some real stupid ideas. To each his own.

#21 ·
As someone who spent better than 10 years running a so called "factory farm" I really have a bad attitude towards the peta folks,all I can say to this one is I hope the local prosecutor makes an example of whoever is responsible for sending the boy the inappropriate email.

I always chuckle when I remember the story of the petaheads who decided to liberate some hogs from a large factory hog farm,it was their last attempt at such activity as they were trampled to death by same hogs they liberated!!

Daytime Dave,if it makes you feel any better in the time I spent running pig city we treated our hogs in the most humane way possible and I wouldn't have allowed it to be done any other way,as with most things the bad apples get all the headlines and the good guys get little or no recognition.
I am sure that you were good and decent to your animals. I know there are more of you good people at these HUGE farms than the bad apples. You never get recognized. You are right, the bad apples and bad videos are all you see. I don't agree with those who feel it's their duty to "free" animals on these farms or in laboratories either. Those people are criminals. They usually are members of splinter groups.

I want to thank you for taking care of the animals in your charge the way you did and making sure the others did too. It's not much, but Thank You.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I want to thank you for taking care of the animals in your charge the way you did and making sure the others did too. It's not much, but Thank You.
On behalf of myself and anyone else here who does raise (olcowhand comes to mind) or has raised livestock for a living a very big your welcome to you Dave! If there ever was a thankless job working with livestock has to be one of them.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I love animals. But I think PETA went to far with this one.
Cows are one of my favorite animals! The little rib eye ones in the meat counter are my favorite!

That lady had no business sending that boy the 'Lettuce Ladies' and by doing so opened herself up to a heap of trouble in my book!

Hope the boy is successful in getting his trip $$$!

PETA should stick to the dog fighters and animal abusers! I'll bet they get angry if they hit a deer on the road with their Prius but protest hunting season!! :wallbanging:

You just can't have everything your way! If you do want to get that--> Go to Mcy-D'sand get a quarter pounder!! :beer:

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can't watch video here, but we have to instruct our kids about people from PETA every fair time, there is at least a couple here and there that will question a kid or two about the animals. Told our kids to either ignore them or tell them we are members...."people eating tasty animals" :D

They sure don't want to be around when we burn goat horns on the babies, but it's gotta be done.

#26 ·
P.S. I was proably not the best PETA member they ever had. I hunt, fish, love leather products and really enjoy eating small farm/free rage beef and chicken. I butcher all dad's chickens humanely.

I did enjoy some of the celebrity leaf wearing women, Pam Anderson for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.