11 replies to this topic

#1 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,638 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:21 AM

When i know a snowstorm is coming i always get up plenty early to clean the walks and driveway.   My 89 year old neighbor lady usually has hers done before i get up.  I was off work today so i was in no hurry.  Didn't start moving snow until 9;00.  LIZ hadn't been out of her house yet. After making sure she was alright i cleaned her drive and walks.   That was only the third time I can remember doing that in the 18 years we have lived here.   She says it is hell getting old!   She just called and said to come pick up the homemade oatmeal raisan cookies she made for me while they are hot.  See ya later. Rick 

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:49 AM

That is very nice payment for cleaning her walks off. Great LADY !! :thumbs:

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:55 AM

I commend you on being a good neighbor. My son and I used to do the same for the women acros from us. Unfortunately some con men talked her into putting gravel on top of her disintergrating pavement about 6 years ago. They charged $500 for about $100 of gravel. I could have repaved the drive with $500.  I couldn't plow it anymore because I moved too much gravel when plowing.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Now that was well worth cleaning her drive and walkway!   It amazes me how some can keep going strong in their later years.  Me I can barely get out of bed in the morning and it takes so long to get everything moving!  :mad2:   

CRF your a good neighbor!  :thumbs:

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 01:32 PM

i hope ya plan on sharing those cookies

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Good on you for being a helping neighbor.

Before I moved in 2007, my next door neighbor in town was 96 years old. She didn't scoop the sidewalk (90') or the 10' of walk out to the street, but she got the front steps and the 4' out to the sidewalk with a broom. If I was around and got it blown out first, I would get a plate full of cookies and bars or a pie in a couple of days. If her son got there first, (he owned the plumbing and heating business in town) he got an earful for taking too long and not getting it clean enough.

I think things went south quickly the time he came over to blow it out, after work, and it was already done. He went to the door, and his mom handed him the plate of cookies. Then she told him to bring them to my place. I was in the garage and heard the whole exchange, and answered the door with a huge grin. He mumbled something about never getting any plate full of card club bars and cookies. I didn't mention the pecan or dutch apple pies.

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Funny some of the things you remember. Our one and only neighbor was also the couple we brought our land from (both in there 80's), after we build our house every snow event wasn't finished until me and the kids took care of there house too. They never asked us but always thanked us some how. After the wife died I met there grown children at the funeral, each of them made a point to thank me, because all they ever heard about was how the new neighbor did this or that. Even our dog got involved, after there dog died our coonhound would visit and take a walk around there house and out buildings twice aday, and in good weather if the owner was outside the dog would hang with him for a while, it was really funny, but it was like the dog knew he was lonely.

• Alc, HDWildBill, Kurtee and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:27 PM

It has been my experience that neighbors are one of the greatest assets a person can have. I am fortunate to have some of the greatest.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Neighbor Tessie was exactly like that! If you where not out at her house plowing by 8, she would start to shovel herself! If it was Sunday, she would be out even earlier so she could go to church.

• Alc, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 05:21 PM

my nieghbor vera has a long lane about 300 yards long that i plow all the time.  He husban Red died 2 years ago and they where always like another grandma and grandpa., well everytim ei do her driveway she always makes me soup or haves me over for dinner. I love her asparagus soup its the best

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 05:44 PM

You're a great neighbor, and it also sounds like you have a great neighbor! 

There's something about those 90 something ladies: they all know how to really bake!

Ben W.

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:18 PM

My neighbor up the street and I take care of all the old ladies on our half of the block.  He usually snowblows the driveway and clears their walks.  I do it when he is at work and can't.  I know the ladies take care of both of us.  We are in the same profession and both of us were raised similarly, he on a farm and me around farmers.

You are a good neighbor Rick.  The kind I like to have nearby.  You are an asset in your neighborhood and I take my hat off to you.  Nice job.   :thumbs: