Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:33 PM

First thing we are in for a good snow storm tonight around 8-10 inches by morning so the driveway will be the least of my worries. Now for the next thing the hot water heater goes out. Not a bad thing as we wanted to upgrade to a bigger size until you go to find one that is run on LP had to hunt at 4 different stores this evening to find one and it is only a 40 gallon one which is the same as we have if you want a bigger one it would be 10-21 days to get one. Then they don't carry one even close to the size of the one we have so all the water and gas lines have to be redone.Why don't these stores know that not everybody has natural gas or electric as they had dozenes of those.They could at least carry a couple different size ones even if is just a couple of each.

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Sorry for your disappointment Bob. Sounds like a tough time. I can tell you though, that stores don't keep low selling product in their stores, due to our inviroment constantly changing. A good selling, or popular model today, could very well be outdated next week. Our society demands improvement, and wants everything to be top notch or as best as it can possibly be. If something new and better comes out tomorrow, then yesterday's product is outdated and trash. It's a real shame that things became this way, but I'm afraid it won't get much better. We are pretty much forced to either board the train, or stay at the station and get left behind.

We have to replace our 22 year old oil fired furnace. Well, due to high oil prices, we chose to go with gas. UGI is due to install a new gas line from the street to the house next week if the weather stays fit. Why go with gas? Because right now it's a lot cheaper. Come next winter, oil will probably be cheaper. I however will not change the furnace, but trust me, there will be people that do. I took notice will shopping for new kitchen appliances, that when electricity rates are high, the electric ranges are cheaper to buy, but the gas ranges are more money. When the electricity came down is pricing, but the gas prices wet up, you could buy a gas range cheaper than an electric range. Stores will only carry or stock whatever the demand is asking for. In most cases, these stores have to buy the product from the manufacturer when the product is delivered, and before it is resold. So, they don't want product setting in their stores for a long period of time, because the longer it sets there in their store, they lost money.

Hope you find what you are looking for, and you won't be without hot water for long.

Edited by johndeereelfman, March 24, 2013 - 08:56 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sorry to hear that Bob. Hope it all works out for you.

imagesCAPVERWL.jpg

• UncleWillie said thank you

#4 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear you had a rough day.  Mine could have been better also.  Very heavy snowfall with quite a few inches.  Got out the Snapper with snowblower I got in Jan.  Brother in law to give me some bar tires he has for me but haven't had time to get.  Couldn't see the drive and with turf tires and no chains dug her into some gravel trying to make a run at things and broke chain on blower (forgot I had just taken the weight off the back of the tractor).  Finally gave up 15-20 yards from the end of the 100 plus yard drive.  Tomorrow digging out the old fashioned way.  Still feel for you cause folks just don't pay to much attention to us folks living out in the country anymore. Hope tomorrow turns your day around.

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:48 PM

They could at least have a Nat Gas to LP conversion kit in stock.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Look at it this way Bob , it will keep showers shorter  with a 40gl heater , ours is electric and still had to redo the water lines every time , I'm thinking we changed ours 3 or 4  times in 30 years 

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Bob, I'm sorry to hear about your water heater.  Those things are not cheap to begin with, and it makes it worse when you can't find what you need!

Ben W.

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:00 PM

So why are you heating hot water????

• A.C.T. said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Sorry to here your day hasn't been going to well! It is unfortunate that things are the way they are today.

Another thing I have been told in addition to what Troy was saying is Items that aren't as popular or don't sell quickly cost the stores money when it comes time to take the yearly inventory. So stores now will stock less of items that don't move quickly or not stock them at all so they don't get charged more money for having excessive inventory at the end of the year.

Also, depending on the store, sometimes the local management doesn't even have control as to what items they can stock. it is all decided from the Corporate head quarters hundreds of miles away. And in a lot cases they have no clue as to what items a particular store may need.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your water heater situation Bob.  Sizes are going to be very standardized in one of the big box stores, and I can well imagine them not carrying a LP water heater, as well as why a big box store won't carry an LP conversion kit because of liability issues (If McDonalds can be sued for giving someone the hot coffee they asked for, can you imagine what could happen with a conversion kit?)

#11 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your water heater situation Bob.  Sizes are going to be very standardized in one of the big box stores, and I can well imagine them not carrying a LP water heater, as well as why a big box store won't carry an LP conversion kit because of liability issues (If McDonalds can be sued for giving someone the hot coffee they asked for, can you imagine what could happen with a conversion kit?)

The new Water Heaters have been designed for increased safety. I don't know of any residential ones that can be changed with a kit anymore.

I think the regulations came into effect about 4 or 5 years ago. This added about 40 to 50 Dollars onto the cost of each unit...

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Bob, get the gas water heater you want and then have a HVAC guy convert it over to LP gas.  You just have to change over the jet and make a few adjustments.  At least that was all that was required when I was working HVAC many moons ago.

#13 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Bob, at least for now you don't have to replace your hot water cooler........only your cold water heater. Well I could sell you a CNG tube trailer,and a couple regulators and then you can go buy the biggest darn natural gas water heater you want! :loosing_it: But that may not be very cost effective....... Shawn

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Bob, sorry to hear you had "a day". Hope tomorrow is better for you.
I would hold off one more day and call a local guy instead of a chain. See if you can't get better results that way.

The new Water Heaters have been designed for increased safety. I don't know of any residential ones that can be changed with a kit anymore.
I think the regulations came into effect about 4 or 5 years ago. This added about 40 to 50 Dollars onto the cost of each unit...

We had to stop selling the LP kits for ranges or Dryers over the counter. There have been some liability suits in the past and my boss just refuses to get bit by a J. Edgar Schiester type over something like that. We will do the conversions in house for a small fee and test them on our regulated LP system. We make sure they are right before they leave.

Have we lost sales? A few people have walked out upset, but my boss still has his store.

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Look at it this way Bob , it will keep showers shorter  with a 40gl heater , ours is electric and still had to redo the water lines every time , I'm thinking we changed ours 3 or 4  times in 30 years 

Shower time not a problem as we have a 40gallon already just wanted to upgrade to a larger one. The water and gas lines no big there as i nknew that would have to be done anyway. I bought the 40gallon one i found tonight but will do some looking at some of the smaller local guys tomorrow. I also need to call the guy that installed my furnace and air unit last spring and see what he can get and the time frame. Best thing about it after this everything will have been replaced.