• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Next weekend I plan on getting the original tires off the rims somehow. They were filled since new and one has now deflated. Any idea of what I may encounter? I plan on shot planing the rims before the new paint goes on.

#2 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

As lame as this videos music is (I like it)

It's very helpful.

• pharmer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Nice clean tires and rims. Just the opposite of what I'm facing. Somewhat helpful just the same. I'm planning on putting 6 ply on my rims.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Very good video. I changed small tires that way for 30 years. Makes me appreciate my HF tire changer. If any of you have to change tires the changer from HF works good. http://www.harborfre...nger-34552.html

It goes on sale for $30 every so often. I mounted mine sideways on the end of a bench. I spray the bead with silicone to make it easier.

Edited by boyscout862, March 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• Lmiller3358 said thank you

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 05:20 AM

Pharmer, I bought a small tire changer kit at Harbor Frieght, It was very useful and I avoided a lot of agrrevation, it will work on tires up to 12 inches, but I had over 100 wheels and tires to seperate when cleaning out my Dad's property a year or so ago, couldn't get rid of the wheels with the tires on them, or the tires with the wheels on them.....too bad you' weren't a little closer, I'm up near New Hampshire here....

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:29 AM

I have the HF tire changer at work. On my new case, the tires in the front are terrible and needed to be changed. Well the rims were very rusty and the tires were original. That machine could hardly handle it. 

I found this video and with the screw driver and vice grip tip, it saved me a ton of time and got it done quicker than with the machine.

I will say though, the machine when I am changing out golf car tires, since the times are so clean, is great.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Nice video. I've never used that vice grip trick before. I have some small tire irons that are easier to use than screw drivers. I got them when I was into motor cycles years ago. 

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:12 AM

I take most of mine to tire stores now. Have them drain out the fluids and take tires off for a fee. Take tires/wheels home and clean up both or ?  and paint wheels. Go back with tires cleaned up or buy new one from them and have put back on. Expect some scratching of the paint you may have to touch up. At least paint the inner surfaces that tire goes over and paint the wheels after tires are on if you don't want any scratches. Harder to mask off the tires tho if you spray. OR, paint with brush, a good one, that will give smoother finish. I'm too old and frail to work tires like I used to and am willing to pay the tire stores for the work, thank you!

#9 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't want to dissuade you on your choice of tires, but I mounted a set of 23x9.5x12 6 ply tires on a my Cub and swore I would never do it again. There is barely any flex to the sidewall. I change mine just like the video shows and I used dish washing soap for lubricating the bead. What a chore, I've changed full size farm tractor tires with less effort.

#10 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, the small tires put up a good fight for sure, I've dismounted and mounted 22.5" truck tires faster than a GT tire....

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:52 AM

As you know it's the 6 ply that is giving y'all the problem, if they were 2 ply you most likely wouldn't have a problem.

Dick

#12 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:05 AM

What's the PLY stand for?

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Titus, the ply is how this the sidewalls are. A lower ply tire will have more squish then a high ply tire.

When changing a tire of that size I use a spoon bar, and a tubeless bar.

As critters said, I would rather change a semi tire then a small lawn mower tire! I have no doubt I could change all 8 tires on a semi trailer, faster then I could a small lawn mower tire, granted all the tires are off the trailer and bleed of air.

#14 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:26 PM

When I changed the original tires on my cc129 the sidewall of the tires and the bead separated. The beads just would not come off the

wheel. When they were finally removed, the wheels were in surprisingly good shape. The rubber had just fused to the painted steel. 23-

9.50-12 4 ply tires went on with a little struggle. I used dish soap and water solution to help the process along. It also took about 30 psi to

seat the beads on the new tires.

Geno

#15 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well these are 16" tires that have been on these rims since 1978. I'm thinking I may have to use a sawzall and take them off in pieces. I'm just not sure what they were filled with. This tractor was previously owned by General Dynamics/Electric Boat in Ct so I'm sure they used whatever was popular back in the 70's.