Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 4 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of April 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor of the month of April 2013 (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month of April 2013

1. Bolens Ride-A-Matic - bread320i (37 votes [25.52%])

Percentage of vote: 25.52%

2. Wards Garden Mark 10 - JD212 (22 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

3. Sears Suburban - BTS (5 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. Ford LGT 145 - larrybl (6 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

5. Pa Panzer T75ES - Dieselcowboy (20 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. David Bradley Super Power - Amigatec (22 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

7. Massey Ferguson MF10 - ckjakline (12 votes [8.28%])

Percentage of vote: 8.28%

8. John Deere 140 H3 (21 votes [14.48%])

Percentage of vote: 14.48%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of April 2013 has now officially started and will end the last day of March. This month's theme is "Before and after".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of April and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine.

We have eight great nominations this month:

• Bolens Ride-A-Matic - bread320i
  • Wards Garden Mark 10 - JD212
  • Sears Suburban - BTS
  • Ford LGT 145 - larrybl
  • Pa Panzer T75ES - Dieselcowboy
  • David Bradley Super Power - Amigatec
  • Massey Ferguson MF10 - ckjakline
  • John Deere 140 H3 - Mitchell Cain

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• tractorgarden, Mitchell Cain, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#2 michelle OFFLINE  

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 09:44 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolensbefore.jpg
  • Bolensbefore2.jpg
  • Bolensbefore3.jpg
  • Bolensbefore4.jpg
  • Bolensbefore5.jpg
  • Bolensbefore6.jpg
  • Bolensbefore7.jpg
  • Bolensduring.jpg
  • Bolensduring2.jpg
  • Bolensduring3.jpg
  • Bolensduring4.jpg
  • Bolensduring5.jpg
  • Bolensafter.jpg
  • Bolensafter2.jpg
  • Bolensafter3.jpg
  • Bolensafter4.jpg

Edited by michelle, March 04, 2013 - 07:16 AM.

• wilberj, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 17 others have said thanks

#3 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2212
  • 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 05:15 PM

I would like to nominate my 1966 Montgomery Wards "Garden Mark 10"

I purchased this on August 28, 2010 at a local estate auction for $55. When I brought it home everyone was asking what I was gonna do with this old scrap heap. I told them I was going to restore it and show it the the local antique steam and classic iron show and use it around the house & garden with my tow behind trailer, They thought I was crazy for putting money into this old tractor. I started restoration in the summer of 2012 and finished in the fall of 2012. It was some of the best time I have had in the garage in along time, I really enjoyed bringing the old MW back to life !!!

The restoration began with complete tear down, Everything was stripped down to bare metal, smoothed out and coated with a etching primer followed by a primer filler. Then came the Rustoleum hammered gold. The wheels, seat, fenders & Grill were also stripped and coated with Rustoleum gloss white. I had the decals reproduced. The 10hp Kohler was in need of a few new parts. I installed new points & condenser, coil, plug wire. The Carb was also completely stripped soaked and received a fresh rebuild. The original muffler was shot so I replaced it and coated it with high temp ceramic flat black paint. The voltage regulator still worked along with the stater solenoid so they just got cleaned up and painted. The wiring was brittle so I made up my own new harness. Rear tires were weather checked but did not leak so I saved them. The front tires though were shot had to replace them. I replaced all belts with the green series "Gates". I added all fresh fluids. 

I enjoyed this resto so much, I already got 8 more garden tractors lined up for restorations. Everyone now that has seen the tractor since the restoration cant believe it is the same one. 

• bread320i, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 14 others have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,653 Thanks
  • 1,682 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would like to nominate my Sears Suburban.

we started this project right before winter and we got it finished right before Christmas. we had a dead line of Christmas because this was a gift to my brother in law.

The tractor we started with was in pretty poor condition, the hood was home made and the grill was broke up, the fenders were bent and had cracks. The engine wasn't the original, it was to big for the original hood to fit. When i bought this tractor it also came with a Roper RT-8E that was really chopped up, but it had a good hood, grill, wheel weights, push blade and a 8hp engine that smoked. So i then tore the Suburban down to the frame, i wasn't going to do this big of a make over but the longer it went the more pieces it ended up in. we welded up the cracks in the fenders and hood, smoothed out all of the dents, primed then painted. we also rebuilt the engine, welded and braced up the push blade, welded up all the cracks in the mower deck and repainted it up too.

We had to build a hood hinge because the old one was broke.

My brother in law loved it, i also have a 3-point hitch, plow and harrow i am going to give him this spring. I am really happy with the results, this is the first garden tractor that i have restored and i loved working on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden Tractors 033.JPG
  • Garden Tractors 034.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 002.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 004.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 001.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 003.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 010.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 020.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 012.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 015.JPG
  • Sears Rebuild 013.JPG

Edited by BTS, March 09, 2013 - 09:06 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, mmclaughlin and 8 others have said thanks

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,785 Thanks
  • 3,246 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:56 AM

I would like to nominate my "Blue Money Pit" BMP, aka Ford LGT 145.

While I was at work one day around the middle of 2011 a co-worker told me that he found an old riding mower, he knew I tinkered with these, but wasn’t sure If I would want this. He said he would load it up and bring it to work the next day on his trailer, If I didn’t want it he would take it in for scrap. I brought my truck the next day, and looked the Ford over. I asked him what he wanted for it, I really didn’t have much cash on me so if it went more than 100 I would have passed. He said make an offer, so I said 50…… there was a pause, then he said how bout 60 because that is what he felt he would get for scrap. I accepted on the condition that I could use his trailer to haul it home. He agreed.

Now I have restored mainly Craftsman GT and LGT’s, and Briggs engines and did not have a clue as to what I just purchased. As I normally do I try and evaluate the see if it is worth sinking $$$ into or recoup my loss with either parting out or scrap. I jury-rigged a gas tank and battery, oil looked ok abet a little black, and got the engine to run (roughly) but that didn’t matter, it ran. After some research it was recommended to check the transmission (new to me hydraulic) so I added fluid (dry as a bone) and cranked it up again, the tires rotated (yaa!). Lastly I checked the hydraulic deck lift and it functioned too.

At this point I resolved to restore, and aptly named my new LGT the "Blue Money Pit" and it proved to be an accurate name. Most of the parts were obtained from Messicks, and Tractor Supply, I had to have the deck welded and straightened, LOTS of manual labor cleaning painting etc. which provided a lot of quality time with my Grandson. After being tossed off (learning the hard way to use the hydrostatic) loosing the deck (and trashing the PTO in the process, and mulching one of the 6" deck rollers, I was finally able to do a full mowing of 2-1/2 acres without incident.

Here is a slide show of the process.

Here is BMP 9 Months Later. Thanks for allowing me to nominate the Blue Money Pit.

Attached Thumbnails

• BMP Start Left Side.jpg
  • Righ Side.jpg
  • BMP clean 1.JPG
  • Deck%20Installed%201.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, mmclaughlin and 13 others have said thanks

#6 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'd also like to nominate my tractor.  A 1966 T75ES Panzer.  Some of you watched it's restoration on the Panzer fourm last spring / summer.  I got the bug to own one of these last spring and went on the hunt. A fellow you may all know wawcub47 sent a PM, said he had one. My wife and I drove down from central Indiana to Williamstown,KY sight unseen to buy this mower. Lucky enough when I got to wawcub47's house the mower was in better shape than what I had planned on it being. He had described it very well and all most less than what it really was. After makeing a new friend and getting it back home a restoration started. This tractor had every nut and bolt takin apart. Everything that was missing, worn, or incorrect has been replaced to factory standards.

Some of the sheet metal had been cut out for whatever reason so pieces were fabricated to fit the voids and welded into place. One of the rims was rusted through. It was repaired in the same mannor as the rest of the sheet metal. The rear end has been completely striped and restored inside and out. Glad I went that far as it was full of about 2in. of sludge in the bottom. Napa was very helpful in seals and other parts for the rear end. Neat part of this was all the parts I bought for this part of the project all fit one model of car, a 1957 or 58' Dodge Cornet.

The mower deck was purchased from another gentalman in Ohio to complete this tractor's final apperance. He was very helpful and filled with knowledge on Panzers also. The deck as well has been completely restored and prepared for this years mowing season. This Panzer is painted with Napa's PPG paint. Which made for a great final product.

I have pulled a lawn roller around so far with this tractor. Last summer it had mostly show duty before I get it all dirty and scratch it playing in the yard. Panzers are not all that common here in central Indiana so the turquoise paint really draws some attention.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0020.JPG
  • DSC_0026-DS.jpg
  • DS-P3300001.jpg
  • DSC_0040.JPG
  • DSC_0048.JPG
  • Panzer Outside.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, Craig. and 9 others have said thanks

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 04:34 PM

I would like to nominate my 1952 DB Super Power, Then I bought it it had no motor, no tires, and the implements were in bad shape. This was originally owned by the Cherokee Co Road Dept, here in Ok. It was sold at auction years ago. The person I bought it from, was the winner of the auction. At that time it still had the original motor on it. And when the motor went bad He had quit using it, and stored it in his barn.

I completely dissembled everything, had parts of it sandblasted, I primed, and painted it. I had to replace part of the clutch since it was broken. Added a Briggs Model 8 motor, but the exhaust port was broken in the block so I had to brazed back in, and new 6X16 Ag tires and tubes. I also got a plow, disc, and cultivator with it. The implements were in just as bad of shape as the tractor was, the crank in the plow was frozen, the disc had a piece missing from one of the discs, and the cultivator had been run over and bent up. I had the disc repaired and the cultivator straightened.

The mower that is on it now came with another tractor that I own. I use this to plow with, I recently had a chance to use the disc, and I plan to use the cultivator in the garden this year. I currently am working on replacing the sections and guards on the mower, to return it back to working condition.

This model of the David Bradley Walk Behind is 917.57560 "Super Power" and was manufactured from 1951 to 1953 and was powered by a Briggs and Stratton 500.702052 @ 2-1/4 hp (early) or 500.108022 @ 2-1/2 hp (late), this tractor has the early style motor on it. The name Super Power comes from the 30% increase in HP from the earlier models.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120107_110928.jpg
  • IMG_20120107_110939.jpg
  • IMG_0787.JPG
  • IMG_0792.JPG
  • IMG_0061.jpg
  • IMG_0063.jpg
  • IMG00015.JPG
  • IMG_0067.jpg
  • IMG_0068.JPG
  • IMG_0069.JPG
  • IMG00004.JPG
  • IMG00007.JPG

Edited by Amigatec, March 11, 2013 - 03:25 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, Craig. and 11 others have said thanks

#8 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm going to nominate my 1970 Massey ferguson 10.I purchased the tractor in sept of 2007.I got the tractor in non running condition.The guy i got it from said somebody gave it to him for payment on a job he did.The tractor had brand new belts,and all four tires had the nubs still attached .I got the tractor for less than what the two rear tires cost.It was a good buy.I brought the tractor home and a couple weeks went by and i started looking into wy it didn't run.First thing i found was the battery was hooked up backwards,I also found that the rectifier regulater was fried.The solid state coil was also bad.I got a new rectifier through agco.Luckily i had a coil on a parts motor i had.I stuck it on and the tractor ran.The engine ran well,didn't smoke and no odd noises.It was sound.

I used the tractor for different odds and ends for about a year.Then i decided to restore it in july of 2009.I completly stripped the tractor down to just the frame sanblasted and painted all the parts.I found a hood and nose cone off of another 10 that was in better shape,so i decided to use that one.The hood didn't need welded or as much body work.i completed the tractor in june of 2010.It took longer than i wanted it to but there's only so many hours in a day.In August of 2011 i finally found a sleeve hitch for it.I sand blasted and painted the hitch,and mounted it on the tractor.

mf 10 1.jpg mf 10 2.jpg mf 10.jpg

mf 10 3.jpg mf 10 4.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, mmclaughlin and 7 others have said thanks

#9 Mitchell Cain OFFLINE  

Mitchell Cain

• Validating
  • Member No: 7465
  • 48 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:27 PM

I would like to nominate my 1974 John Deere 140 H3 

This tractor was restored in spring of 2012 it was complectly  taken apart and sandblasted then primed useing Dupont 2 part epoxy primmer . All parts only needed one coat of primmer  then I used Dupont Imrom paint with a light sanding and I gave it the second coat of paint . As you can see no paint booth  great outdoors . This tractor took me 3 to 4 mounths to complect all decals are  Deere not aftermarket. I did get a new hood from HAPCO  and the fit was just right . This tractor has most every option you could get on the 140es . It was also bought new by my father in early 1975 at our local dealer witch like many is no longer .And it was used mostly for mowing and  plowing snow

Thank You

Owned and Restored By

Mitchell Cain

Alexandria Indiana

Edited by Mitchell Cain, March 11, 2013 - 09:40 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, michelle, Craig. and 15 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Voting has begun. Not telling when voting ends though :D

• Huskyfan, larryd and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

This will be a tough choice! All of these are great!!

• Mitchell Cain, Huskyfan, larryd and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:08 PM

George another tough call this month,some realy great restored tractors

• Mitchell Cain, larryd, SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,359 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 03:54 AM

Are you Kidding ?? Is there a button for all of them ?? WHAT AN INCREDIBLE LOT!! This will take some doing???

• Mitchell Cain, larryd, SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#14 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Which one should I pick?

• Huskyfan, larryd, SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Touch choice this month!! There were some really nice start-to-finish restores to chose from!

• Mitchell Cain, Huskyfan, larryd and 2 others have said thanks