#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I guess this goes here, my young 3 Americaunas finally starting laying at 6 month old, Gotten 2 green ones since Thur. Here was my first one.

2013-03-22_20-33-09_754.jpg

I've got 26 hens and getting about 15 eggs per day, all my young ones starting to lay.

Got couple though that give me soft shells, even with extra crushed shell supplements. I think it's my old girls as the soft eggs are jumbos, young ones are still small to med.

Due to wet weather, the hens been making eggs pretty nasty from the muddy pen outside and I waited to wash them, here's my 6 dozen I washed at one time.

2013-03-17_08-27-47_348.jpg

• daytime dave, Gtractor, bgkid2966 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:37 PM

do you sell the eggs at a farmers market or to family members and friends? 6 dozen is alot of eggs my gfs aunt has chickens so we get our eggs from them for $1 a dozen since the stores want 150 or more for a dozen

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

So far just family, friends, & coworkers. I'm giving away 6-7 hens to some friends in next week or two so hopefully daily eggs counts will be manageable. It's usually no one wants them or everybody at one time. I get $2 per dozen, mixed colors and sizes.

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

We are getting about 10 eggs a day. Wife has been selling them to some friends. I do my best to eat as many as possible.

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Had one of my hens hauled off by a hawk and one just die on me in Aug. which left me with only two.  I'll get one egg one day and two the next.  Need to get a couple more hens.  

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Had one of my hens hauled off by a hawk and one just die on me in Aug. which left me with only two.  I'll get one egg one day and two the next.  Need to get a couple more hens.  

I have a fenced area that I could have "free range" eggs, but we have a big ole hawk and two monsterous owls that lurk the trees. I have two sets of dog kennel panels so they have about a 10x40 area to roam, but it's all mud right now. I let them out to pick when I'm out working around barn.

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:45 AM

We have a 10x20 pen that is covered that they stay in when they are not out free ranging. We let them out for a few hours a day. SO far no hawks have gotten them although I have seen them fly over on ocasion but there are too many other small animals around here for them to go after i guess.

• TAHOE said thank you

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I would let mine out to range if I was there, but feed @ 7 am and not back again until 5:30.

Here are a few pics of the new nesting boxes I made. Had 26 chickens using 2 boxes, needed an upgrade!!!!

My neighbor was moving, threw out an old 11" x 30" x 5' metal shelving. I moved shelves to proper height I needed, then cut off top I didn't need. Got 4- 12 qt washtubs at Wally World for $1.97 each. :thumbs:

Put some plywood on sides and angled on top so they would not roost. Used some 2x2's to box the tubs in so they won't move and put extra out front for them to perch on when getting in. Tubs are removeable so if they get nasty, just pull out, dump and wash. I am going to use some shavings, but left at home so had to use straw. Now if I can just get all them to use them, 3 hens are still laying on the floor, had to leave one of old nest there until they get used to them.

Pics are hard to get since hen house is only 5' wide or so.

Last pic is of one of tubs removed just to show.

nest1.jpg

nest2.jpg

nest3.jpg

• HowardsMF155 and Racerxxx have said thanks

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 02:43 PM

First green egg I've ever seen.  Which breed of chicken makes them?  I'd like to learn more about them.  Thanks.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:16 PM

First green egg I've ever seen.  Which breed of chicken makes them?  I'd like to learn more about them.  Thanks.

Aracaunas lay a true blue egg, true bred Americaunas lay a blue or green eggs. most are a cross of the Americaunas with something else and you can get a pinkish egg from them along with the green/blue, people are calling the "Easter eggers".

I grew up with Aracaunas, kids in elementary never believed me till I brought some in.

This is a pretty good link if you want breed history, type, eggs, etc.

http://www.ithaca.ed...s/chooks.html#a

• daytime dave said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Not much into chickens unless they are on a plate. But I sure see the potential for some great omlets.

I had an uncle who was into them big time,He was a Genetics Genius, in fact he was famous in the business for his BB Banties.

Along with dabbling in several other small animals, Rabbit, Chinchillas and a lot of different birds.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 26, 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#12 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Pretty neat idea with the shelf unit.

• TAHOE said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Getting about 18-21 eggs per day, pretty good for 25 hens.

Made me a new feeder today, tired of them wasting feed by scratching all over floor and feeding the mice.

Had some old pieces of 4" thin wall sewer pipe, Paid $8 for two elbows and little personally time with the drill and there you go.

I have to pull some of it to middle, but I think it will work. Pop caps off, pour feed down side tubes and it rolls to the middle, well, kind of. Needs to be a little shorter, but I'll see how it works. Two separate ones with shorter feed tubes would probably be better, but I have limited room. It has holes on both sides.

Next project will be new roost on back wall.

photobucket-57046-1364948100538_zpsadd1f

photobucket-53724-1364948130987_zpse4289

Edited by TAHOE, April 02, 2013 - 08:12 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Cool idea! Hope the hens cooperate!

• TAHOE said thank you

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Cool idea! Hope the hens cooperate!

Well, they didn't eat much since I installed, they will get used to it... hopefully. Looks like they ate all the corn pieces out of it though and left the pellets :mad2:

I also realised this morning I need to move the current roost, the hens on the end are pooping on it while roosting at night  :wallbanging: