• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:08 PM

One of the other things i do here, is make rope. I have machines of the early part of the 20th century made of cast iron mostly, some of wood and iron, that do the job nicely. i also have a pair of machines that made braids, and can cloth cover a wire.  Recently i was invited to come show off the makings at an 1800's event. The only problem was that my stuff is to new. So after some researching and talking with other rope poeples, i decided to built a machine, more like what might have been found back in that day. Very few of these machines are let and no photo's were made until almost the middle of the century, so im going to wing it a little.

By luck i had some big, walnut timbers left, still in there rough cut stage. After lying all the parts out on the living room floor, a came up with a plan.  I got a good start on the building today..

new rope machine 001.JPG

new rope machine 002.JPG

new rope machine 003.JPG

Im using a lawn mower drive wheel and gears to run the hooks, and hopefully i can hid that part, as i dont want any modern looking things to apppear.  Should be ready to test it out next weekend, after i get the hooks and small parts do up.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Fascinating.  I have a book that tells how the old shipyards in England made rope out of hemp.  I love the old way of doing things.

Do you cloth cover wires for people? 

Ben W.

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:29 PM

interesting. You should make a video of it in action.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Cool! All of the machines like that I've see started with baler twine. What do you do without twine?

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Cool! All of the machines like that I've see started with baler twine. What do you do without twine?

Because the of the politics of hemp, we are not allowed to grow any in the US. It would have been the first chioce for this time period. Manila is hard to get, so the folks that host the historical things allow you to use binder or baler twine, witch is made of sisle. What you cant do is made rope out of plastic twine, or even the yarn, i use at most of the farm shows. Other than the plain ropes, i can make up hammock ends, and i use the ropes to thread up rope beds, and chairs.

• LilysDad said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Do you cloth cover wires for people? 

Ben W.

I can cloth cover wires for spark plugs, or sometimes i do a wire for the battery side of a hit miss engine, in 12ga. Most of the time i dont have the right colors in the machine to do the ones thier looking for. It takes a while to rethread a machine to get a certain color. My machines hold about 350yds of thread on each of there 16 or 17 bobbins.  Right now the hollow braider is set with red, white, and blue thread. But i suppose if i had enough people wanting a certain color, i could load up and run out a few hundred feet of covered something.

• Texas Deere and Horse, LilysDad and superaben have said thanks

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Lauber for the info. about rope, this is something all new to me, guess someone has to do it and why not you.

Dick

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:32 PM

That is awesome. I too love seeing the old way of doing things. I have never seen a rope machine in action. Thanks for sharing this with us and good luck on your project :thumbs:

#9 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hmmm...I met a gentleman at a tractor show a few years back, he had a booth making rope demonstrations.

Very interesting demo...perhaps it was you.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I can cloth cover wires for spark plugs, or sometimes i do a wire for the battery side of a hit miss engine, in 12ga. Most of the time i dont have the right colors in the machine to do the ones thier looking for. It takes a while to rethread a machine to get a certain color. My machines hold about 350yds of thread on each of there 16 or 17 bobbins.  Right now the hollow braider is set with red, white, and blue thread. But i suppose if i had enough people wanting a certain color, i could load up and run out a few hundred feet of covered something.

I'll keep you in mind if/when I get enough requests.  Specialty cloth wire is hard to find.  But if you are going to do an antique restoration, there's nothing like cloth wire for authenticity.  It makes all the difference!

Thanks for sharing about your machine.  I'll second the request for videos of it in action!

Ben W.

#11 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Many thanks for the pics.  Brought back some fond memories of making some rope in ag class. We used baler twine at that time.

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Check out some of the Boy Scout rope making machines in the Pioneering Merit Badge Books.  

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:28 PM

Good Luck Jeff, I can't wait to see it up and running making rope. Can you make a video of it working for us?

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 10:49 AM

ok a few more pictures of the progress this week. Maybe a video could be made when i get it all working. Just about ready to do the final assembling of the parts.

new rope 2 001.JPG

new rope 2 002.JPG

new rope 2 003.JPG

new rope 2 004.JPG

new rope 2 005.JPG

new rope 2 006.JPG

#15 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Very interesting.  I agree, a video would be really cool.  Looks great so far.