#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:50 PM

If you want to try something different, paint the underside of your deck as usual, wait a day or two to dry, and then coat the entire underside with two-three coats of polyeuthane. After the poly is dry, apply two or three coats of car wax. Try this for one season, and see if it makes a difference.

As for washing your decks out each time you mow, make sure you run the deck for at least five minutes when you're done, so that you dry out the bearings and belts. If you don't, the water lays in the bearings and will rust, and wet belts will eventually dryrot and get brittle with humidity. If you have a blower, blow off the worst of the grass first before soaking the deck with water. Water spray will get most of the grass off, but it will also trap the grass.

• larrybl said thank you

#17 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:26 PM

If you want to try something different, paint the underside of your deck as usual, wait a day or two to dry, and then coat the entire underside with two-three coats of polyeuthane. After the poly is dry, apply two or three coats of car wax. Try this for one season, and see if it makes a difference.

As for washing your decks out each time you mow, make sure you run the deck for at least five minutes when you're done, so that you dry out the bearings and belts. If you don't, the water lays in the bearings and will rust, and wet belts will eventually dryrot and get brittle with humidity. If you have a blower, blow off the worst of the grass first before soaking the deck with water. Water spray will get most of the grass off, but it will also trap the grass.

Thanks for the tip. Other than the paint the rest is out of budget. The problem I have is even after one mowing I get this hard almost baked on grass resedual (named by my Grandson "lawn mower poop"). The wire wheel removes most it and the paint, The preshure washer removes it and leaves the paint intact, but is labor entensive. (deck removal).  BMP mandrals are grease fittings and are greased after each mow. RED's are sealed and I am reluctent to use the power washer on it. I don't let water lay on top of the deck, After blow-off and washing they sit in the sun and wind till dry. I do need to go under the deck more often (during the mowing season) to remove the big buildup) Been looking at a MowJack at T/S for this, but I think BMP is too heavy. May work good for RED but now I would need to find shop space for it.  

#18 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Almost done with BMP's deck cleaning, very labor entensive but I have help. All that's left is to install the blades and shields and find a place to store this monster as I have more use of the BMP without the deck right now. He is towing the trailer around.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080340.JPG
  • P1080342.JPG

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Bottom line, if you want any deck to look new.

1.Clean/wash it with soap and water

2.Sand it and wipe down with metal wash

3. Prime it

4. Paint it 2 -3 coats

5. Looks like brand new, next step is most important

6. Never use it again :D

No matter what is used it won't last, even bed liner stuff will come off from the abrasive of only the grass, never mind ,sand,rocks, wood, leaves, etc. :thumbs:

• larrybl said thank you

#20 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Bottom line, if you want any deck to look new.

1.Clean/wash it with soap and water

2.Sand it and wipe down with metal wash

3. Prime it

4. Paint it 2 -3 coats

5. Looks like brand new, next step is most important

6. Never use it again :D

No matter what is used it won't last, even bed liner stuff will come off from the abrasive of only the grass, never mind ,sand,rocks, wood, leaves, etc. :thumbs:

Not so much to look "New" but to store without rusting till RED breaks down, or worse. Then All I have to do is install the deck, not worry about blades, rust, mandrels, or grease. Install n go. It may be this seasion, 2 years, 5??? Dont know. But the deck will be used again.

Found a storage place, Needed to move the Pearless 6 speed Hi/Lo. But I needed to start on that rebuild any how.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080353.JPG
  • P1080354.JPG
  • P1080355.JPG

#21 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I need to clarify that the hose hookup on my JD only puts water below the deck.  The belts are never wet.  As for the bearings I don't think so but can't say I'm sure on that.  I think I was told the part was around $10 bucks two or three years back.

• larrybl said thank you

#22 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I need to clarify that the hose hookup on my JD only puts water below the deck.  The belts are never wet.  As for the bearings I don't think so but can't say I'm sure on that.  I think I was told the part was around $10 bucks two or three years back.

When I greased the mandrils they took almost 2/3 of a large cartrage. Not sure what it would cost to replace the 30+ year old bearings.

I'll keep them well greased.