Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I ran in to an issue while cleaning under the deck, I only used this for 4 - 5 mowings last summer, and let it set over the winter (while working on RED). I pulled the deck off (mainly to take the tractor to a show) and decided to clean the deck before re installation. I was able to scrape the large stuff off with a Painter tool, but I wanted to refresh the paint, the last 1/8 of crud was hard as concrete. I started with a wire wheel and that was way too slow (the orginal paint seems to be holding well). I broke out the 1300 psi washer, this worked well but I still need to do some wire wheel before I re paint. 

I guess I should have pulled the deck and cleaned at the end of the season.

Anyone have a better method? 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080287.JPG
  • P1080288.JPG
  • P1080290.JPG
  • P1080297.JPG

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,240 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:15 PM

It looks like you got it pretty clean! I always clean the deck at the end of the season. Also, I give it a quick scrape down when ever I have it off.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:24 PM

It doesn't take much to make concrete out of grass.  I use a putty knife 90% of the time, and an {old} screw driver to chip off the crustier stuff.  Otherwise, a wire brush on a drill works.

Ben W.

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, I guess I will go far enough to refresh the paint (wanted to see how well it held up) and for the future, go with a end of season cleaning with the power washer only, and refresh the paint (labor entensive) every 2-3 years. I guess I have the best method on the concrete removal, power washer and wire wheel. Other than that, don't let the deck go un cleaned at the end of the seasion...... Hear that RED :D

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,971 Thanks
  • 6,736 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Paint with that slippery paint for farmers when cleaned up. Might be helpful. Me, I hardly Ever clean the deck. Rinse with water hose good as I can reach, not too good really, and when it dries the big chunks lose grip and come flying out when I hit bump or build-up when mowing. Decks are Self-cleaning! Don't tell me now how the grass turns to acid almost and eats thru the metal housing. Have seen that on lighter stuff, but not on heavier older decks.

• larrybl said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:08 PM

That's sorta how I do my Pusher, actually it never gets cleaned, unless I can't pull the rope. It tends to drop bombs every so often. Just last weekend I thought I had a rod knock as the sound lasted so long till I hit a small rock and it took out a chunk of "lawn mower poop" after that it sounded fine.

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,331 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Has anyone used the paint on truck bed liner??

It seems to be tough and slippery. I haven't tried it but had thought about it.

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,364 Thanks
  • 2,660 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:52 PM

the john deere deck saw its first cleaning when i got it here to my place the deck fot the 70 will get cleaned up before i put it into service

• larrybl said thank you

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I seen a lot of JD deck cleaning threads, Most were of the newer decks, Mine are 20-30 YO. I am guessing a good cleaning and repaint every 2-3 years will keep thr crosion down. 

• backwoods said thank you

#10 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,779 Thanks
  • 1,718 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:28 PM

My JD X320 has a little garden hose hook up to clean the deck after every mowing.  It works really well.  After you finish mowing for the day you hook up a garden hose for 60 seconds while the mower is activated and tractor is running.  Do it every time and I found at the end of the season there was nothing to scrape off.  I've heard they are not too expensive at the JD dealer (I know that one is hard to believe) and you drill a hole through the deck and mount with two screws. I know if you have a show tractor that's not the answer but if it's a user wow is it easy.  Sorry no pictures way too much snow outside right now.

• larrybl and backwoods have said thanks

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 661 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:41 AM

The soil where I mow is mainly sand......When I'm done mowing and look under the deck,, It looks like it has just been sand-blasted..Good for keeping deck clean,, Not so sure about all the abrasiveness...I greese the Heel out of it alot to keep berrings  free of sand..I never tried that washout thing on the deck,,, You say it works good ???  I'll have to try it some day..

• larrybl said thank you

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:17 PM

The soil where I mow is mainly sand......When I'm done mowing and look under the deck,, It looks like it has just been sand-blasted..Good for keeping deck clean,, Not so sure about all the abrasiveness...I greese the Heel out of it alot to keep berrings  free of sand..I never tried that washout thing on the deck,,, You say it works good ???  I'll have to try it some day..

The power washer worked well, not the wash out port.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080305.JPG

#13 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:24 PM

My JD X320 has a little garden hose hook up to clean the deck after every mowing.  It works really well.  After you finish mowing for the day you hook up a garden hose for 60 seconds while the mower is activated and tractor is running.  Do it every time and I found at the end of the season there was nothing to scrape off.  I've heard they are not too expensive at the JD dealer (I know that one is hard to believe) and you drill a hole through the deck and mount with two screws. I know if you have a show tractor that's not the answer but if it's a user wow is it easy.  Sorry no pictures way too much snow outside right now.

Oops, I thought the comment was made about the power washer. I think T/S may have those too, and there is already a 3/4 hole in that side of the deck, hmmmm maybe it's there for that reason.

#14 mowerbeast OFFLINE  

mowerbeast
  • Member No: 29683
  • 32 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Not much you can do. Mowing when it's perfectly dry will help a little, but either way you will still have some stick. Bed liner seems like a good idea, but I've never seen anyone actually do it. 

#15 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,381 Thanks
  • 3,570 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes, I think the method of Deck removal, power wash, and wire wheel, then a fresh coat of paint with a touch up on the blade sharpining will be the norm. I just felt under RED's deck (Only cut once this seasion) and i had hard build up already. Hopefully the 5 coats of paint will keep the rust at bay till this fall (it should) as BMP's paint was mostly still intact except where I got agressive with the wire wheel. More importantly was to remove the split covers and clean under there, I split the full cover to make it easier to blow out, but due to the liberal use of grease, I still had a mess to clean. I will try and pull the covers while the deck is on the mower and see how that works.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080293.JPG
  • P1080294.JPG
  • P1080295.JPG
  • P1080296.JPG
  • P1080297.JPG