#1 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 05:21 PM

Most likely, very few of the members here are aware of a sport known as SuperMoto racing because it hasn't been around all that long. For many, many years there has been a rivalry between the asphalt racers and those who race in the dirt off-road as to which discipline demanded more from the rider.

SuperMoto was intended to sorta provide an answer to that by creating a racetrack that is about 80 percent asphalt and 20 percent dirt that included some fairly low jumps that are found on any motocross or supercross course. My son has been racing motocross since he was 14 and has done some supercross as well When SuperMoto came to Canada about 8 years ago, he jumped into it with both feet and raced in two classes. At the end of the inaugural season, David was Canadian Champion in both divisions.

The following year he was asked to race in the USA on internationally famous Troy Lee's team. Troy Lee began as a race helmet painter and turned that business into a going concern making clothing and other items for the racers.

Troy Lee Designs

A freak accident during practice in Denver, David went over the bars of his bike, caught his hands on the hand-guards and broke both wrists. That cost him his Canadian Championship for that year as well as the year afterward as he fought to regain the ability to race relatively pain free. Through training and physical therapy that came about and he regained his championship status once again. This year found him defending that championship once again and this past Sunday was the final round and he was tied for points with French - Canadian rider Maxime Sylvestre.

It all came down to this final race of the season. Without going into a long-winded blow by blow description of the race, I'll condense it down to a few lines. My son stalled his bike in the second corner and that took him from second spot to last spot before he got it restarted. Three laps later, he was back in 2nd spot and closing the large gap between Max and himself. When he caught up to Max, the lead changed hands several times during one of the fiercest battles that the other racer/spectators had ever witnessed.

On the last lap, Max was once again in the lead and it looked to everyone that he would prevail. However, Max underestimated two things. One was the amount of motor in David's Honda and also David's determination to win. As the two came around the last corner on the last lap, David put himself right beside Max's KTM and came blasting out of that corner and down the straightaway in front of the stands to cross the finish line ahead of Max. The one photo in the array below shows that moment with David's Honda well across the finish line as Max's bike is just reaching it. If you look carefully, you can see the flagman on the left side waving the checkered flag. When you look at the photo, the distance between the two bikes looks significant but they were probably hitting about 80 mph at this point. All bikes in this class are fitted with transponders that report the order of finish in real time. The time difference between first and second was something between one and two TENTHS of a second. That's how close it was.

Additional photos show Max and Dave side by side in the same corner on a previous lap, David's pits, Max's pits that were directly across from us and the podium presentation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 041.jpg
  • Photo 013.jpg
  • Photo 014.jpg
  • Photo 015.jpg
  • Photo 029.jpg
  • Photo 031.jpg
  • Photo 038.jpg

Edited by hydriv, October 05, 2010 - 09:00 PM.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 05:43 PM

Congratulations to You and your son Hydrv! That's a great story of comeback and you've every right to be proud!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Congratulations to you and your son hydriv. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch as much racing as I would like to but definitely knew about the sport of supermoto.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:04 PM

That was a great thread hydriv!
That's an inspiring story. Congrats to you and your son, you should be very proud.:thumbs:

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Congatulations hydriv,to you and your son both.That's a great story,and it's wonderful that he was able to come back after that injury.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hey Hydriv
Congrats to you and your son.
Great come back.
Who is that old fart in the hat?
Is that you?

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hey Hydriv
Who is that old fart in the hat?
Is that you?

Sigh........... sad but true. I was beautiful once upon a time but alas...... time has taken its toll. If it wasn't for my passion in collecting this old junk, I'd probably throw my decrepit carcass under the nearest bus. :D

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 09:16 PM

Congrats to David for his win & more so to his determination & resolve! I've watched several Supermoto races & enjoy them. Back in my day I raced a little motocross & a couple hare scrambles, so I can relate very well to these races. Being a dairy farmer from day one of my workable years, I couldn't race like I wanted, but rather just hit a few races now & then. I ran a 77 RM125 but the year was 81. My bike was considered "vintage" already, but I got the holeshot to 1st turn every single race I ran. That bike was awesome! But what always set me back to 3rds & 4th place slots was my suspension. It would fade after the first few minutes & cause me to drop back. I led a lot, but always lost spots due to the old rear shocks. I couldn't afford new shocks, much less a newer bike, so I finally decided to drop racing. Having the 3 little kids also made me feel I was risking too much. Plus my wife at the time was NOT supportive of anything I did, so it was too much hassle to want to do anything for myself. After we divorced, I wanted to try it one more time, riding a 5yr old CR125 Honda, but the wild hair was gone & I found myself slowing for the jumps, so time to retire for good. I was 31 when I hung up my riding boots.
I have a few trophies, but my favorite is my 1st. It was a hare scramble, and my shop class teacher told me they would take off fast to gain position, then "pace" themselves for the 2 hour race. Well, 20 minutes into the 2 hour race & we're still running WOT (wide open throttle), and they NEVER slowed! I was about to pull off & quit from exhaustion when my "gas buddy" (you only stop to have a friend fill the tank with engine running, grab a swallow of water, then honk) told me I was in 4th place. I knew I was doing pretty good, as I had passed several larger bikes...TT500 Yama's, CR250's, and others, but never thought of placing on my 1st ever race. Well, that news gave me a shot of adrenaline, so I went back to WOT again. I lost 6lbs in the 2hrs, and could hardly feel my hands when the race ended.
Wow...did I ever go off on memory lane...sorry hydriv, but you brought it all back to me with your story. Yes, I do indeed understand exactly how your son feels crossing that line. Yes, I raced on a MUCH lower level than David, but it gives the same feeling when you have a trophy in your hand at the end.:thumbs:

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hey hydriv, I think I found an old site of your son's. Not been updated in a few years though.

Erik McAdam's Photos | www.hookit.com

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hey hydriv, I think I found an old site of your son's. Not been updated in a few years though.

Erik McAdam's Photos | www.hookit.com

Sorry Dan but there's no connection to my son at that URL.

However, if you are hunting, try this one.

Troy Lee Designs

or this one which is the race that precedes the Shannonville Finale.

http://www.moto123.c...py?artid=121817

Old news is this one.

AMA Supermoto Finale: Duel at the Docks - Motocross Features | Vital MX

For those who followed motocross and supercross for a long time, will surely recognize some of the top US riders that my son raced with during his time in the US. Jeff Ward, Travis Pastrana, Mickey Dymond and Doug Henry were all champions as well as factory riders. Jeff was David's teammate on Troy Lee's racing team.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 07:27 AM

Every reason to be proud Hydrive, Congrats to your son!

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:08 AM

I remember all those names hydriv, but I go back way further....Brad Lackey, Hurricane Hannah, Danny (Magoo) Chandler, Roger Decoster, the list is long.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Don't know how I did it, but I copied the wrong link to David's race info. Here's an old, but correct one:
Supermoto Canada Update Grand-Mare Quebec

#14 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 10:47 AM

Yes sir. That link from 2004 chronicles my son's two Pro wins on that race date. Thanks for locating it.

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 11:04 AM

I remember all those names hydriv, but I go back way further....Brad Lackey, Hurricane Hannah, Danny (Magoo) Chandler, Roger Decoster, the list is long.

All of those names were "household" talk between my son and myself in the early 80's. David rode in a half-time motocross race in a stadium just outside Buffalo, New York when he was racing in the 80 cc class. Bob Hannah, Ricky Johnson and many other well-known factory riders were competing on the same track that night including Jeff Ward. Essentially, David found himself racing on the same team with some of the riders he idolized as a youngster. Few get to live that dream.