#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Some of you know what connection issues I've had and that I'm pretty much brain dead about all this technology, but I finally brought in ATT U-Verse Inet-Only because its my only option here. All  OK, but still a few issues with my old laptop.

So I decided to try out a cheap Tablet and WOW, I love it so far (I'm easily pleased)

For less than $200--7" Samsung Galaxy tab2. Played with it yesterday and I can log on to GTT, play wireless music, read etc. It only had 8MB but I could add 16MB more with a micro SD-and did. 

I don't savy all the other stuff yet, but it has

Android 4.1 Jelly bean

Nividia Tegra 3 quadcore processor

7" HD 1280x800 IPS glass screen

Front and rear cameras-so I can take a photo of myself taking a photo, I guess.

Micro USB slot.

Do I need some kind of protection, like AVG, McAffee etc--is there an ap?.

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I know that AVG has an Android app for the phone. Seems to work. I have thought about getting rid of my smart phone and getting a tablet.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, March 24, 2013 - 10:01 AM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thankx, Willie,  I'll look for it. I don't have an I-anything--Too small for my eyes, too expensive for my budget, but I do like this gadget.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have AVG installed on my Android tablet. I'm not sure of what the threat is on these things yet but as popular as they are getting it is a sure bet they will become target's is they haven't already.

I get very frustrated with mine, mainly with my fat fingers and trying to tap on links that are to small.  

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Having that much personal information on a portable device I can easily lose or someone could possibly latch onto wirelessly scares the crap-ola outta me..  Nope-  I'm living without the new smart-phones because I'll be dumb enough to get compromised and into trouble!

#6 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 02:06 PM

I run my business through my smart phone so it is a necessity not a luxury - and much cheaper than a secretary. I have the fat finger problem too which is why I am thinking of going to a tablet.

IF anyone wants my identity they can have it. NO money, no credit, no stocks or bonds. Only time I have ever had a problem with it was when a bank manager got into my account and bought airline tickets. He left the bank in handcuffs. Had I known it was him he would have left on a stretcher.