Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Broken Tiller Or New To Me Two Wheel Tractor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

• Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Was recently using my old Parmi tiller and it made a very bad noise and shut off. The tines had "bound" up and stalled the engine. The tiller will still drive the wheels and move around in all gears under its own power but will stall the engine as soon as the tines are engaged.

Tore it down yesterday to put an eyeball on the problem. It appears that one or both sides of the chain drive case to the tines has a bearing or bushing of some sort that is seized. Looked around the interweb for parts information and have found nothing.

What say the membership?

Persue a tine final drive assembly repair or use it as a two wheel tractor?

If I go the two wheel tractor route can anybody provide a link or two to some implements that I can look at to fabricate or buy?

This garden tool will be used to keep weeds down between rows.

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,403 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've rebuilt chain drive tiller gearboxes before and they were very cheap to fix.  These were MTD brand, both front tine and rear tine,  and the bushings inside were plastic!  Don't know anything about your brand but I bet any run of the mill auto parts store can find something that'll work in there. 

P.S.  When your bushings got worn the chain likely jumped teeth and/or got bound against the side of the case causing the lock up situation. 

• Alc said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Racerxxx, First, try some of the site suppliers, they seem to be really good.  If that doesn't work, look around locally and see if you have a specialty bearing supply store.  There is one in Raleigh, though it is on the east side of town.  If you find someone near you, take the bushing/bearings in to them.  They have the books and know how to read this stuff.  Best of luck getting it repaired.

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 24, 2013 - 09:04 AM.