• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Looks like it won't be long till it's done.

Oh I still have the whole left side...2 story section yet to even start on stripping old clapboard & old vinyl off yet, plus finish the top of the other side, then the back porch. It'll be a long time to finish, but I'll keep hacking at it. I'll probably switch to the back porch after the front. It'll be much easier on the bod & simpler work too. I need some easier days! LOL

#32 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 07:26 PM

That's quite the project Daniel! It looks like you are coming right along and doing it right as you go. The plastic and the foam insulation should make one heck of a difference in heating/cooling your house. I helped my father in law do this house with new windows, foam insulation and new siding 15 years ago and know how much work it is.
We took a whole summer to get it done working nights and weekends in between rain storms. I hope all goes well for you and you get the house buttoned up soon and can get back to playing with the tractors.

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 07:33 PM

I put all new double glass windows in about 3yrs ago, so after blowing in insulation, the plastic then foam, yes I should see a dramatic difference in heating/cooling costs for sure. Plus drastically slow the drafts in this old home. When the winter winds blow at 20mph, it was around 10mph inside!!! LOL

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Finished the front yesterday! The porch gets a make-over too, but likely be springtime before I start that. I'm gonna take a couple days off the house, just to take a break from it, plus get some calf work done. Rain coming too tonight, so good break time. Supposed to be the 1st real rain in several weeks. Only had 2/10ths in about a month now.

Posted Image

#35 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:33 AM

Looks good really good.

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, but I just realized I lied. I still have to get the shutters renewed & installed, so the front isn't done. Plus some caulking left, but no rush, just cosmetic.

#37 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 10:06 AM

:thumbs:That is looking really good Daniel.:thumbs:

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 11:55 AM

Nice job Daniel. You give all our "other-halves" hope. LOL

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:55 AM

Went to Lowes & picked up all I need to finish the house, except for the vinyl for the last side. I get that at "Exterior Supply". Been on "home repair vacation" the last few days, as some farm work to catch up on, plus the rain. Gotta go to dad's house to bring home a wagon load of straw for bedding, then repair an electric fence, so no home repair today either. Maybe tomorrow I'll start ripping off the exterior of the last wall.

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Last job of the day was to rip 9' of old vinyl off the one side of my house. Hope to get the old wooden clapboard off tomorrow, then the next day get insulation in & plastic sheeting on. Pics are dark...sun's down already. Hate this time change!

DSC00112.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00113.jpg

#41 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 02:01 AM

Looks like your doing good there, I for one sure don't envy you. I know all to well how hard it is to take on a large project on top of the normal daily chores and work. It sure does give one a big warm feeling of pride to do something yourself instead of paying someone that you can't trust, that few people understand these days. Good job, you are an inspiration to all those that know you I'm sure.
As a side note, this thread might be a good candidate for the blog area.

#42 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 06:56 AM

You're really doing a fine job there,I'll have to "borrow" you next spring when I re-side my house.:smilewink:

#43 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 12:25 PM

Got started stripping the wood clapboard after morning milking & putting the clutch throwout fork into the Massey 2745. Just gotta rip off 4 more runs of clapboard. Wasn't going to go that high, just high enough to add the 4x8' foam sheeting. But to get the boards off to put in insulation requires me to strip off all the way under the top window, as the boards are 1pc from the ground to there. Gotta get the scrap pile sawed this evening to fit into our dumpster. Garbage truck comes in the morning & I'm filling it up good! It won't hold it all, but will maybe hold half.
Might should have put this in a blog, but at this point I'll just leave it here. It IS "off topic" after all.

DSC00114.jpg

#44 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 12:32 PM

Wow!!! I've been keeping up with this thread, and I must say I am impressed with the progress you've made. Knowing the business you're in, I'm amazed you have the time to tackle a project like that. Your house should be very cozy this winter, compared to last!

You may have mentioned before, but.... what do you heat with?

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 12:35 PM

Wow!!! I've been keeping up with this thread, and I must say I am impressed with the progress you've made. Knowing the business you're in, I'm amazed you have the time to tackle a project like that. Your house should be very cozy this winter, compared to last!

You may have mentioned before, but.... what do you heat with?

Forced air furnace...propane. The savings in heating expense will pay for this project in just a few years....maybe less than 5. My furnace has not ran nearly as much already just from doing what I have. Not nearly as drafty in the house. Once I get into something, I like to go wide open as long as I can. Especially with weather possibly turning on me any time. Many farm jobs aren't getting done that otherwise would be, but they aren't anything vital and can wait. Most of them can be done in foul weather.