• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:01 AM

I would borrow the man lift. I have a ladder that would work there, but not sure how well it would stay put on that metal roof below. That could be a bit of a challenge working down, but can be done. Is the bottom of the window below the peak? How about running a chalk line across there to get a line to start from?

#182 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:38 AM

Had to edit the post that was here. I was going by the pics & it was late last night & my mind short circuiting. The piece to the left side from under the window isn't under the window completely, but is in alignment, so I can start with this one instead of the one above the window. It's been over a year since I was even up there, so I forgot everything & will have to refresh my mind once I get back up there to finish the job.
  • KennyP said thank you

#183 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 02:59 PM

That would be much easier, don't have to build down so much!

#184 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:48 PM

That's looking good Daniel. Know what you mean about sweating, yesterday I should have put my work bench in my garden and could have irrigated it while I was working. I spent 5 years installing metal roofs of all kinds from Tennessee V-Crimp to hand formed standing seams and made of everything from galvanized, copper and stainless steel and I'm here to tell you to be careful playing around on a metal roof. I can speak from experience that falling off one is no fun. What is the pitch of the bedroom addition roof?

#185 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Not sure on the pitch, but I'd think like a 2" to 12", maybe 2 1/2.

#186 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Been a long time since I posted to this thread.  But today I planned to do some siding left on the end of my home, but I needed the ladder off the roof which I had hooked onto my antennae tower so I could work on my chimney.  So I went up there to finish  securing the expanded stainless that will keep the danged starlings from building nests in it & preventing my furnace from running.  So I got up there,  sat A-framed over the crown of the roof, finished securing the stainless, then went to get down.  I've mentioned before how I don't do heights well, but it's been ok for a while.  Today it reared it's ugly head.  As I went to throw my right leg over the top of the roofline, pain hit in my hip.  That threw me into my height fear and almost went into panic mode.  I locked onto the antennae mast hoping the panic would leave me, but it held fast.  I was getting the dizzy feeling like I could pass out, but I kept my head & finally said to myself "ya gotta get on that ladder NOW!    So I quickly got one leg on the ladder, and instantly felt better, but shaking like a dry leaf on a tree on a windy day! Sat on the ladder for a few seconds, then went on down to the porch roof.  It's weird how I used to not mind heights at all, but things they do change, and for no reason sometimes.  From here on out, any time I'm high enough I will secure myself just in case.  Kind of humbling. 

Here's the expanded stainless, and a shot of the whole roof.  Then a pic of the area I hope to side today.  I'm only going up under the edge of the old siding still at the top.  I don't have a man-lift which I will almost have to have to get up there, being the bedroom addition blocks simply using a ladder.

DSC00114.JPG DSC00115.JPG DSC00116.JPG

I will say, that watching this video just yesterday may have added to my going into my spazz attack.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yCYZZPwJr_c

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#187 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Daniel, I think you can build a work platform sitting it on the the peak and eve, then use 2 X 12's for the platform. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Once you have the level platform you can just use a step ladder off of it. 

#188 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Daniel, I think you can build a work platform sitting it on the the peak and eve, then use 2 X 12's for the platform. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Once you have the level platform you can just use a step ladder off of it. 

Brian, it's been a long time since on that roof till today, but you are right.  I can reach all but the last 1 to 1 1/2' off a simple platform.  I have a set of ladder jacks, so I'll put (& secure) one end of the platform on the roof peak, then the other end in the ladder jacks.  I have a real short piece of an old ladder I can set on the platform to finish the top.

My ladder jacks are the under-hang style like in this pic.

ladder_jacks.gif

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#189 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:33 PM

That's it, I just can't always remember the right words. :wallbanging:

I believe they call the " Over 50 Syndrome" :rolling:

#190 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 01:09 PM

I believe they call the " Over 50 Syndrome" :rolling:

That's exactly right, and the same thing that hit me when up at the chimney!   :(   Oh well, might as well just  :D & bear it!    2 or 3 pieces & I'll be under the old siding.  I would start on the top, tearing off the old, but no time to finish it and my whole week is booked solid farm wise.  

Josh said Dad came down & fed silage this morning!  He shouldn't be doing that yet, but no way to stop him.  Either he does well, or learns the hard way.   Josh said he's geared up to shell the 20 acres corn remaining, but I have several things that MUST get done too, so we'll see how that goes.  Dad never gives us time to do any smaller jobs before he drives into something else.  It's only one day's work to get that dab of corn in & we have tons of smaller jobs needing tended to.  So glad Dad is feeling up to working though, but he pushes himself too hard!

#191 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well, I got things completed to the point I wanted to today.  Hoping another week to tear the old top portion off & finish this project once & for all!  If a storm damages it in the future, I may hire it repaired!

It does look better, though not completed.  The top portion will also have a gable vent like the opposite side of the house.

This morning:

DSC00116.JPG

Now:

DSC00118.JPG DSC00117.JPG

Gable vent during installation on other side:

DSC00005.JPG

#192 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Looks good Daniel, glad you were able to get it up til you can finish replacing the damaged areas.

#193 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Looks good Daniel, glad you were able to get it up til you can finish replacing the damaged areas.

Yep, gets harder to get it up the older I get!  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl: 

• KennyP said thank you

#194 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Well Brian, I got it up again....one more time for today.  Got the fake shutters put on.  Teresa is happier than a camel on hump day!   :D

DSC00120.JPG

• powerking56 and KennyP have said thanks

#195 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Looks good from Here!!  I had to put off cleaning the wood stove flue yesterday I won't get that far up on the roof when home alone and by the time Martha got home from work I was too beat to try.  Same thing, I have a hard time getting up and even more so getting back down to the ladder on that steep a pitch, didn't used to be that big a deal 15yrs ago.......

• olcowhand said thank you