• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 01:31 PM

Started on an overdue home repair today. Being dry, it's a good time to start, so now it'll start raining! :D My Grandpa built this home in 1928 and of course is getting a wee bit old. Dad put vinyl siding over the old clapboard when vinyl just came out. It is brittle as can be & busted up from storms over the years. Time to tear it off, remove the old clapboard, plastic seal & new vinyl siding. A big job, and that's why I've put it off so long. What is forcing me to do it is a leak on the second level coming down into the bedroom addition, ruining my drywall & ceiling edge. Plus below every window I replaced with vinyl windows 2yrs ago, there is rot below. I didn't have time nor money at the time to do it all then. We're having timber cut now, so a good time while there is a little extra $'s.
Instead of just trying to stop the leak in that one place & patching under the windows, I'm starting at the ground & going up. Do it right, or regret it I figure. Man, pulling off the old vinyl siding is a job for Mike on "Dirty Jobs"! Dirt from insects & no telling what else is falling ALL over me, even getting inside my ears!
Just have a small area stripped at my dining room. Tomorrow I'll go get some supplies. Going to seal her up well to stop the severe drafts this old house has. In windy conditions, the doors shut themselves inside the house!
I'm gonna hate the higher parts of the job. Heights bother me these days, but I better work past that. Pics later.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 02:06 PM

Good luck Dan, hope all goes well (and cleaner) Just remember (For the love of God) don't borrow George's ladder. :D

#3 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 02:42 PM

Be careful. I too am not a big fan of heights. Did my gutters a few weeks ago when it was dry. Hope it all goes well for you and the weather holds out

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 03:04 PM

This is as far as I got today. Started just before lunch & had to quit at 3:30 for feeding chores. This little section & all the lower level will be easy enough, but I dread that way up there with a passion! I do have an almost new high quality extension ladder, but I'll still be shaky as a leaf up there. Not figured for sure how to do the center top being the bedroom blocks ladder access, but I have some "ladder jacks" if that's the right term. They hook on a ladder rung to make a platform for walking boards to sit on. One end on a ladder jack, other end of board on bedroom roof top. But that still leaves the upper 6' I can't reach. Any ideas?
That window up high is the area with the leak running down into the addition. I've sealed it tight as a drum, but water is still getting in somewhere when wind is accompanied by high winds. When I'm finished, there will be NO leak, I will guarantee you that.....I hope! :bigrofl:
DSC00057.jpg

This side is the priority, but if I have good weather after this side is completed, the rest of the house gets it next. Big job for me with all the regular chores, but I can't afford hiring it out. Now if a good storm came & damaged things, THEN I'd hire it with the insurance money....or would I? These old houses require lots of extra engineering and I'm afraid a hire wouldn't go to the trouble I will myself to make it as it should be. Now if I could just get Mike Holmes out here......... :D:D

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00056.jpg

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 05:14 PM

I'd have to say that you got a good start on it .

#6 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:05 PM

I know what you mean. I hate to have anyone work on my car. Even warantee work I dread, because I know that most of the guys out there don't really care about the quality of the work. as long as it functions. Luckily I know some one that is more **** than I am that does home repair.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Looks like your making good headway Daniel.
Good luck on the project
Like said in previous posts, if you dont do it yourself It wont be done right

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:41 PM

This is as far as I got today. Started just before lunch & had to quit at 3:30 for feeding chores. This little section & all the lower level will be easy enough, but I dread that way up there with a passion! I do have an almost new high quality extension ladder, but I'll still be shaky as a leaf up there. Not figured for sure how to do the center top being the bedroom blocks ladder access, but I have some "ladder jacks" if that's the right term. They hook on a ladder rung to make a platform for walking boards to sit on. One end on a ladder jack, other end of board on bedroom roof top. But that still leaves the upper 6' I can't reach. Any ideas?

Make yourself a wide platform on the bedroom roof then lean a ladder from the platform up against the roof above the window, tie everything off so it don't move and you should be OK
Probably take as much time to make a secure platform as doing the repair but sounds like your doing everything so you don't have to do it again for a long time.
IMO doing 1 wall at a time start to finish is the way to go.
If all else fails get or hire a helper for the tough spots.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:42 PM

That is a BIG job Dan, but you will feel good, and dry when done. Are you putting foam panel insulation under the new vinyl or just your vapor barrier then vinyl?
Peter

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 07:38 PM

You definitely have a good sized project on your hands but just think of the rewards you will reap after it is all said and done. No more drafts and the heating and cooling bills should show a nice improvement.

Just don't do what I did last week when I fell off the ladder/roof LOL.

#11 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hey there Dan,just by looking at the pics it looks like the lower roof is up against the wall that your getting a leak.I'am wondering if your leak could be comming from the lower roof being against that wall.Not sure if you have any step flashing in behind the siding.With out step flashing your sure to get leaks.you'll need somekinda water barrier in that area.Will have to wait untill you get to that part and then you'll have a better idea as to why it's leaking in that area.I have a old house as well 75 yrs old.We've pretty much stripped this one right down to the studs both inside and out.Changed all the old wiring as it was only 2 wires[no grd] one place the wires were a single wire running beside each other in porcelain insulators.Yeah I can relate to what your up against.Slowly but surely it'll turn out for you.Time consumming thats for sure.I was thinking that for the higher up spots anyway you could make a platform higher up on say a hay rack that way you could move it around and not have to take things apart. Anyway I'am sure you'll keep us all informed on the progress.Larry

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:08 PM

:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

You definitely have a good sized project on your hands but just think of the rewards you will reap after it is all said and done. No more drafts and the heating and cooling bills should show a nice improvement.

Just don't do what I did last week when I fell off the ladder/roof LOL.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Are you putting foam panel insulation under the new vinyl or just your vapor barrier then vinyl?
Peter

Kind of leaning to the thin foam plus the vapor barrier. Gonna check the prices on the foam panels tomorrow.

#14 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 04:07 PM

Dan..For a vapor barrier i hope you are thinking ..Tyvek..or comparitable..not Vis-Queen..your house still needs to breath..if not anything else but the fan-fold insulation under the sideing..Any wall cavity with insulation will still have air in it..heat from the inside will cause condensation...and if it can't dry out will cause mold..sometimes bad mold..Anytime i have remove existing Vynal siding..that the sun has been shineing on you would not believe the moisture..on the backside of the siding..B,

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 04:18 PM

As Byron R has stated,Tyvek is very good stuff.