• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:30 AM

You are bending what appears to be 7/16 thick steel?  WOW!!  I' surprised the rod from the rear rock shaft to the hand lever isn't bending out straight first!

It's actually 3/8, but we may have cured it

#17 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Has anyone else ever had problems with their hitch twisting? We made one for Ryan and periodically have to bend it back into shape because the the center arm bends up with the weight of the plow and a good bump or two.

The metal is the right thickness, it just sags eventually and his plow drags when "up"
Lots of divots.

We made some changes this winter so I hope it fixes the problem, but it no longer looks OEM.

I used 2' x 1/2" for my hitch and after a lot of heavy use and abuse it hasn't flexed a bit. The original hitch I have is just a whisker over 7/16" thick and 2 1/4" wide. Maximum width for my bender is 2" so I decided to go with 1/2" thick, which more than makes up for being slightly narrower. I have a heavy 4ft "YORK" brand york rake that I have converted to sleeve hitch, it takes two hands on the lift lever to lift it. I have used it a lot and the sleeve hitch has held great. I do need to redo the hitch on the rake, it is cracking. Bending the material to make the hitch can be a real P.I.T.A. I just did 4 of them last night, 3 came out nice.

• MH81 said thank you

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Next one will be a little thicker.  Never dreamed it would bend.  Lesson learned.

#19 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Looking through a MF brochure, I noticed that angle iron over the pin.

I've never seen that anywhere before. Does anyone actually have that?

attachicon.gifsleeve hitch plate.JPG

Pictures of an original sleeve hitch L bracket.

001.JPG 002.JPG

003.JPG 004.JPG

3/16" thick, 1-5/8" hole

I made a copy of this using a piece of 2" angle iron, 1/8" thick, with a 1-3/16 hole, works OK.

005.JPG

I believe the purpose of this part is to give the 2 adjusting bolts a flat solid surface to hit as you can see.

006.JPG

I know my 10" Brinly sleeve hitch plow, 1 of the adjuster bolts will hit the end edge of the plow and the it will dig into the end of the bolt if the bracket is not used.

• broken2, MH81, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks